Register Your Event
The LDWA maintains a comprehensive calendar of UK walking events and festivals which is also published in each issue of Strider. Events organised by Non-LDWA organisations can now be registered with the LDWA online. Events organised by LDWA local groups should not use this facility but should continue to register their events in the normal way.
Before you register an event please ensure that you have read the notes below and that the event complies with the normal LDWA event requirements.
Challenge Event Requirements
For a Challenge Event to be supported & publicised by the LDWA, the following requirements must be fulfilled
- The event is mainly cross-country
- The event is not advertised as a race and the emphasis is on walking rather than jogging or running. Any event under UKA or TRA rules is considered to be a race.
- There may be several routes, but at least one is 20 miles or more in length
- There must be at most 500 starters
- The event does not require entrants to obtain sponsorship
- The event is organised with due regard to safety
- The event is organised with due regard to the environment
- The event is organised with due consideration for the local community and landowners
- The event complies with current legislation, in particular Adventure Activities Licensing Regulations
- There is adequate public liability insurance cover
- A risk assessment has been conducted in respect of the event
- All entrants sign a declaration that they will observe the rules of the event and obey the Country Code
- Written consent of a parent or guardian is obtained for entrants under 18 years of age
- The entry fee is reasonable given the support and facilities provided
- The event finances are conducted in a proper manner
- The event is organised in a manner consistent with the Aims and Objects of the LDWA
Walking Festival Requirements
For a Walking Festival to be supported & publicised by the LDWA, the following requirements must be fulfilled
- Walks are offered over a number of days and a variety of distances
- Walks are mostly led
Much fuller information & advice may be found in the booklet Guidelines for Events which is available for free in the LDWA Library or can be purchased from the LDWA Shop. This booklet includes information on the Adventure Activities Licensing Regulations legislation & Country Code etc.
Notes on Completion
The online event registration forms are not only designed to assist you with remembering all the relevant detail but also to make the job of the Events Secretaries easier. The LDWA has separate officers looking after Challenge Events and Other Walking Events such as walking festivals. If you have any difficulty with completion please contact the relevant officer who will be able to advise you on the presentation of your walk details in Strider. They are also available to give you advice on what date to hold your walk. This is particularly important so that your walk does not clash with another event in the same area as your own.
New event organisers should make sure all relevant details are complete and accurate.
Annual Events:- The organisers should add Same as Last Year to title and need only alter the date and any other fields that have altered i.e. cost. All other fields can be left blank.
If your group/organisation has a web site please give some thought to including the URL and or E mail address on the event notification form.
Please also note that there is a box to indicate whether or not you will accept the Standard Entry Form. Please ensure that you indicate as appropriate. If you do not indicate I shall assume that the SEF is not acceptable.
What Happens Next
Your event will not be automatically included on the Events Calendar or in Strider. Acceptance is entirely at the discretion of the LDWA Committee.
Once submitted your event will be reviewed by the relevant Events Secretary to check its suitability and to ensure that you have completed all of the required information. If they have any questions they will then contact you to confirm this. If accepted the event will then be published on the events list of this website and will be included in the next edition of Strider. The Strider submission dates are:
- April Edition event details to Events Sec by 28th January.
- August Edition event details to Events Sec by 28th May.
- December Edition event details to Events Sec by 28th September.