Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Calderdale Hike 2010

Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Tue 13th Apr 2010, 13:05
Local Group: South Manchester
It certainly was a glorious weekend, with Calderdale shown off at its best for the second year running. My report with links to pictures may be found at http://ultraploddernick.blogspot.com.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 11th Apr 2010, 18:03
Local Group: Merseystride
Organised by the 24th (St Pauls) Pennine Calder Scout Group, the Calderdale Hike is one of the premier events in the walking and running calendar. It is also one the events in the UK Ultra-running championships. It is a tough event, with 6300ft ascent over its 36 miles (although there is a 27-mile option). Nearly all the ascent is grouped into 4 very steep climbs - and I mean really steep!
250 entrants, split evenly between runners and walkers, set off between 7am and 9am and it wasn't long before the outer-layers were peeled off, as the sudden, but very welcome, sunshine beamed-in as if making up for lost time!
There was plenty to drink en-route and the food was simple, but substantial - always plenty on offer. As always, the checkpoint staff were officious, yet friendly and encouraging. It must have made a change for those on Thieveley Pike to be basking in warm sunshine with little in the way of breeze.
The climb from Cragg Vale finished me off and although happy with my overall time, the last few miles seemed to go on forever!
Thanks one and all for a great day! (Garfield)

Photos at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=216661&id=726015791&l=35f1371c24

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law