Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - HofS 100 gpx

Author: Karen Jarvis Morgan
Posted: Mon 24th May 2010, 8:44
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Just wondered if anyone could help 'el thicko'. Ive got a Satmap and successfully uploaded the old gpx file, however when I try uploading the v2 with the amended route it just shows a straight line saying 33.1mile...could anyone possibly help me or email a version I can use karen.jarvis@prsprinters.co.uk...thanks and see ya all there.
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Wed 14th Apr 2010, 23:21
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
And now some better news - they finally fixed the annoying pagination issues over last weekend, allowing you to manually move the page coverage around during the print preview phase.

By careful use of this I was able to get the Woldsman (50m) down to 8 x A4, the Dorset Giant (64m) to 9 and the HoS (currently 105m) to 17 - and this time without any missing bits. Good stuff!

The monthly sub has gone up to £1.80 (still great value for 40 x A4 1:25000), but they should be announcing a discounted annual rate in the next few days.
Posted: Thu 1st Apr 2010, 12:17
Bad (though hardly disastrous) news on the "free mapping" front

No Change for Walkers' Maps as OS Frees Data

So it looks like we'll have to continue to stump up the minimal fee each month.

As for the cut-down "VectorMap District", it sounds very much like the kind of data that's already available through OpenStreetMap. Hopefully the attitude to walker-submitted footpath data will be similarly relaxed.
Posted: Tue 30th Mar 2010, 16:42
Garfield,

I uploaded the official V2 GPX file when it was first published, and I've adjusted the waypoints accordingly. You need to search on "Heart of Scotland" and "Official GPX".

I've also marked up the most recent draft of the Housman 100 route - searching on "Housman" should find that with no problems.

Grough is great, and we should find out this week whether it's going to be free from April onwards. There are still some significant bugs, however; the "print route on map" can be very flaky and there's no (current) way of overriding its chosen print areas. Printing the Heart of Scotland at 1:25000 with 10mm A4 margins, for example, causes a small section of the route to be missed between the start and CP1 (I've seen far more extreme examples of this with my own tracklogs). They are, however, supposed to be working on this ....
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Tue 30th Mar 2010, 9:03
Local Group: Merseystride
Yes, John, Grough Route is excellent, and a good indicator of how mapping will go in the future, now that the government has decreed that from 1st April all OS map data will be freely available.

Regarding the 100 route, I can only find the Marshals' walk, which I uploaded myself. What tags are needed to find the route for the main event?

It should be should be noted that any GPX file, from whichever source, should be checked thoroughly against the route description. With the file freely available from a number of sources, errors may have crept in. (Garfield)
Author: John King
Posted: Mon 29th Mar 2010, 21:12
Another option is to pay a visit to:-

http://www.grough.co.uk/route/

Then pay the Princely sum of £1-50 per month (no contract so a month is the minimum) to gain access to Digital mapping for the whole of England, Wales and Scotland, in1:25,000, 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 scales.

Download the GPX file to it or plot the route yourself, then print off the maps, and download the route to a gps.

TBH the £1-50 subscription to grough is the best value for money i have found for years,
The built in tools with Grough route makes for very quick and easy route planning, and if you come unstuck there is a help area where you type in your query and await the reply which is usually pretty quick.

Well worth a look :- http://www.grough.co.uk/route/

PS i have no connection with GROUGH other than being a Very Satisfied subscriber.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Sun 28th Mar 2010, 9:55
Local Group: West Yorkshire
For anyone with an Active 10 from Satmap they have created a dedicated map card for use with their device. This shows the route of the HOS hundred as well as the immediate area around the route at 1;25000 (Explorer mapping). A discount special price applies of £29.99 and for anyone buying an Active 10 the card comes free. For more information please give me a call - telephone number in Strider. I have looked at the card and for me it would be invaluable especially in the night sections if only to confirm I was on the right track.
Posted: Sat 27th Mar 2010, 22:06
I'll have a look at these queries and report back. Garfield.
Author: John King
Posted: Sat 27th Mar 2010, 19:16
Too many Way points my etrex is limited to 500 either reduce the no. of waypoints or split the route.
Author: Rob Richardson
Posted: Sat 27th Mar 2010, 12:15
Local Group: South Wales
I've managed to download the track onto Garmin mapsource, and it looks complete - 169km. However when I transfer to the GPS, only the first 32.32 miles gets transferred, with an error message on the GPS: 'Track truncated'. Any suggestions?
Posted: Thu 25th Mar 2010, 19:41
Thanks Alan.
Many have downloaded it without problem so far, but if zipping makes it more accessible then zipped it will be! (Garfield)
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Wed 24th Mar 2010, 20:28
Local Group: Calderdale
It is commendable that the H of S organisers have made available on their website a GPX file of the route. Unfortunately if I download the file I end up with a format on my PC which I cannot use. However I have found from my own experience of organising events that if I wrap the GPX file in winrar or winzip it can be extracted after downloading in a GPX format acceptable to Garmin, Tracklogs, MemoryMap, etc. Simon Leck on his website follows this procedure so maybe the organisers might like to do something similar.
Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 19:04
You need a connecting cable to link your eTrex to your computer. Once you have this there are a number of utilities you can download which will push the file to the eTrex. I use a mac and use TrailRunner and, before that, LoadMyTracks. Both have free trials. (Garfield)
Author: Rob Richardson
Posted: Sat 20th Mar 2010, 13:04
Local Group: South Wales
I would like to download the HofS 100 gpx file to my Garmin etrex Legend Hcx. Could someone please advise me how to do this. I have memory map software installed on my PC.
Thanks

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law