Skip to page content | Using this site

Member Login: Join

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Reivers Way

Author: Richard Smith & Sarah Walters
Posted: Mon 26th Apr 2010, 13:09
Local Group: Thames Valley
Have you tried the book 'Dogs Welcome' - usually available in the travel section of WH Smiths or in Pets at Home. Is usually a good start. If I take my dogs, I tend to camp because I've had similar problems in the past!

Deb

Posted: Sun 11th Apr 2010, 20:36
Thanks for your help Mike,

I was getting blocked all ways on the the first three nights just because I had the dog. So I have given up on this walk and have just about organised the Cleveland Way in July.

I have one unused copy of the Reivers Way whcih someone can have for free in return for making a donation to a mountain/cave rescue group.

I am just about sorted but need accomodation in or around Robin Hoods Bay. I might have to get the bus back in to Whitby.

Shame about the Reivers Way. Perhaps i can get back up there and camp in the van and do some of the walk.

Dave

Author: MIke Rayner
Posted: Thu 8th Apr 2010, 19:55
Dave - did you get anywhere with these four leads?

Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 22:14
Two more, but this list is quite old. Mrs Ann Bell, Woodpark Farm NE48 3PZ 01434 230259. Mrs A Nichol, Hetherington NE48 3DR 01434 230260. Not as close together as the phone numbers would seem to indicate!

Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 21:31
Shitlington Crag Bunkhouse NE48 3QB? 01434 230330

Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 21:25
Black Bull in Wark? 01434 230239

Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 20:20
Dont know of B&Bs in Wark but I would see if there is any thing in Bellingham or Hexham and use the late evening and early morning Tyne valley bus service. Like you I think the price of B&Bs is not very walker frendly.

Posted: Sun 21st Mar 2010, 19:24
help! Does any one know of b&B near Wark that takes dogs?

I am having to put the walk on hold as the only accomodation at Wark is a hotel wanting to charge 120 for b&b and evening meals. Single room supplements are stupid!

Dave

Posted: Thu 11th Mar 2010, 20:10
Hello Andrew,
Thanks for the encouragement.

The new Cicerone guide is written last year by Paddy Dillon. My copy arrived yesterday.The book and its descriptions/maps etc look up to the usual high standards of paddy and Cicerone.

My planning has started.... the maps are out and I just have to persuade the dog that he needs another long walk (as if - he always get spoiled in pubs etc on these excursions)

Author: Andrew West
Posted: Wed 10th Mar 2010, 21:18
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
The Reivers Way is an excellent route that takes in the best that Northumberland has to offer. I backpacked the route in 8 days a few years ago so accommodation wasn't an issue. However, when you get the excellent Cicerone guide by James Roberts, you will find the route broken down into 9 stages with places to stay at the end of each stage. As far as evening meals are concerned, I would presume you would need to check when making the bookings.

I walked the route in fine weather and camped in some marvellous locations . . . go for it and you will have great memories of the area.

Andrew

Posted: Mon 8th Mar 2010, 20:09
Thanks for the replies David. It cetainly seems like a good walk to do. The area is superb walking country. I am just waiting for the guide book to arrive and then I can start planning.

It seems that very few people do the route judging by the response to my request here and the lack of information gleaned from a web search.

Dave

Posted: Fri 5th Mar 2010, 4:28
Sorry no information on meals or Board but again because of the Roman Wall Trail it may not be to difficult till you get higher up.

Posted: Fri 5th Mar 2010, 4:25
It is a good interesting walk, I have never done it, as a whole but I have done it in bits. The latest booklet differs from the the first but not by much.Transport in the Tyne Valley / Allandale area will be no problem but out to wards the more distant parts you may have to be careful.

Posted: Thu 4th Mar 2010, 20:48
Hello

Has any body walked the Reivers Way? I am thinking of doing it with my dog in May
and so:
-what are your thoughts of it as an interesting walk
- any tips on accomodation
- are evening meals easy to find...

and all the other usual questions.

Thanks

Dave