Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Thats Lyth

Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 8th Feb 2010, 13:27
Local Group: Marches
I can't be totally certain, but my pint of Boddingtons tasted very odd, and smelt slightly bleachy. Not liking to make a fuss I just drank it anyway. That's the only thing I had different to my partner - all the food dishes and rice were shared. It was about 1.5 hours later I was violently sick and this carried on throughout the night (with the other end as well). My partner went to see the restaurant owners the following day and discovered they had 'flushed' the pipes serving the Boddingtons out with cleaning fluid (couldn't quite establish exactly what).

Funny thing was my partner thought he was pretty safe and could have an easy day on Sunday, presuming I would be too ill for the event.....Lights on a 6am - I was back! S&D no match for an LDWA fanatic. Powered on by a dry cracker and a creme egg for breakfast it was the best thing I could of done. I actually felt better at the end than I did at the start. How odd is that? Not a conventional cure for S&D though!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Sat 6th Feb 2010, 23:38
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
What makes you think it was bleach poisoning Rebecca? Was anyone else ill from drinking the same drink? Or from eating there? What symptoms did you have? I ask 'cos i am a microbiologist. Just in case other people suffer, it is good to pin point something! But well done for going out doing the walk anyway!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 9:10
Local Group: Lakeland
And it was a pleasure to help on the walk. There is always that "beginning of a new year's walking" feel with this event, everyone greeting folks who they haven't seen since the autumn. And such fantastic weather - it was a bit frustrating having to work at a checkpoint, but I did get my walking fix by following the route back from Witherslack. Wonderful views across to the snow covered fells from Scout Scar.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Mon 1st Feb 2010, 21:36
Local Group: Northumbria
Oh yes. It was a pleasure to take part.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 1st Feb 2010, 8:34
Local Group: Marches
Agreed - great event, checkpoints and route. Nearly didn't make it - had what I can only think was bleach poisoning the day before from drinking a dodgy pint in a Cantonese / Thai restaurant in Kendal the day before. Think they may have cleaned the pipes and not removed the cleaning product....never been so ill in my life. Despite the bad start, and feeling pretty ropey thoroughly enjoyed the event. Beautiful, and thanks very much
Posted: Sun 31st Jan 2010, 21:38
The first Thats Lyth I have done since the one after Foot & Mouth. As I remember that one was on a day very like today. Very cold, very dry and a fast pace with excellent views. Todays was a great walk, with great check points, thank you to all that helped on it. It is a walk that will be long remembered for all the right reasons. (even managed to have a bit of crack with an imported Mackin)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law