Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - gps

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Thu 11th Feb 2010, 17:06
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Not familiar with this Elton, but I find the best approach is GPS with a downloaded route and a OS Exp map for an overview of the area
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 8th Feb 2010, 18:39
Local Group: Surrey
Gentlemen, please: let’s cut out the feminine hygiene stuff. This is not the men’s locker room.

I prefer my GPSMap 60CSx to both the Oregon and Satmap. It’s ergonomic and a classic of design. I agree that the available maps are not a patch on OS maps, but the truth is that trying to replace a 1:25K OS map with the small screen of a GPSr – any GPSr - is too limiting. Using the GPSr with an A4 OS colour printout gives you the best of both worlds.
Posted: Sat 6th Feb 2010, 21:46
Yes nic, the mapping for Satmap would cost a fortune for the whole of the UK at 1:25K. For 1:50K, it's about £200. Now I get the feminine issue thing, I hadn't caught this on the forum. An ipad with wings, doesn't always resonate with us chaps(even after 3 wives), more into football and cricket....feminists sigh offstage....
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Thu 4th Feb 2010, 11:23
Local Group: Kent
>> Satmap has the full range of 1:25K OS maps <<
This must cost a fortune!

>> I'm intrigued by this feminine hygiene issue! <<
In January, when the ipad was launched, we had lots of fun in all the technical forums and blogs with the name:
- The new iPad, with wings. Perfect for when you are on your iPeriod.
- IPad: Apple's new feminine Hygiene product.
- The iPad is designed to help absorb the flow of data
Posted: Wed 3rd Feb 2010, 20:01
Hey nic you are getting serious on this:

>> don't agree on the sharpness of the screen <<
Screen resolution:
- Satmap 240x320
- Garmin 240x400

The small Garmin screen far outweighs any of this resolution gain

>> nor on the Discoverer mapping <<
There is no “Discoverer mapping”! Maps on Discoverer are genuine OS maps.

Genuine yes but they are 1:50K, Satmap has the full range of 1:25K OS maps, the only maps for serious walking.

>> Maybe both will be overtaken by an ipad <<
The problems with Apple feminine hygiene are:
1. The screen is not readable outdoors
2. It is not rugged enough for our usage.

I'm intrigued by this feminine hygiene issue!

Garmin Oregon 550:
1. Has a Transflective TFT display which means that it provides brilliance in all light
2. Is IPX7 waterproof which means that it can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

I can only repeat that I have both: Satmap and Garmin Oregon; Satmap accompanies me everywhere, the Oregon skulks in the corner of my gizmo's drawer

anyway, they each add fun to walking!

John
Posted: Tue 2nd Feb 2010, 12:34
>> don't agree on the sharpness of the screen <<
Screen resolution:
- Satmap 240x320
- Garmin 240x400

>> nor on the Discoverer mapping <<
There is no “Discoverer mapping”! Maps on Discoverer are genuine OS maps.

>> Maybe both will be overtaken by an ipad <<
The problems with Apple feminine hygiene are:
1. The screen is not readable outdoors
2. It is not rugged enough for our usage.
Garmin Oregon 550:
1. Has a Transflective TFT display which means that it provides brilliance in all light
2. Is IPX7 waterproof which means that it can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
Posted: Mon 1st Feb 2010, 19:51
Hey nic, don't agree on the sharpness of the screen, nor on the Discoverer mapping. Battery life on the Satmap is superb with the rechargeable power pack, at least 16hrs even with constant reference to route, position etc. Maybe your friend used consumables?

I have no axe to grind, just going by 18 months use of Satmap. Maybe both will be overtaken by an ipad with really big display of OS mapping; the Garmin still has a ludicrously small screen which makes the following of a route uncomfortable and irritating; I don't think they design for long distance walkers, plannig a route, maybe just for someone who wants the occasional confirmation of position.

What we really need is a fold out flexible sheet for mapping, logged on to satellites

John
Posted: Mon 11th Jan 2010, 13:00
>> small screen size is a major nuisance <<
The Oregon screen resolution is much superior. It is brighter and sharper than the Satmap which results in a better reading altogether, therefore you don’t need to carry such a bulky machine.

>> Mapping software is more comprehensive with Satmap <<
What do you mean? I can't see how it could be more comprehensive than on the Oregon 550 as Garmin GB Discoverer is the full Ordnance Survey version. I get much more details on my Oregon 550 screen than on the OS version provided by Anquet on my laptop or handset. On the Oregon I see the streets names, the restaurants, just like on Google maps but with OS graphics.

>> generally faster lock-on to satellites with the Oregon <<
What is incredible is how fast it catches satellites even indoor in my home (my desk is near the window and I have 8 satellites on my screen right now), or inside a train.

I didn't consider Satmap because it is big and heavy and mostly because of the fuzzy screen and poor battery life. I was testing it with a lady on a walk and she kept stopping it to save the batteries! What is the point of having a GPS if you keep it off? I go easily 2 full days with the Oregon constantly on.
Posted: Sun 10th Jan 2010, 12:48
nic, I will concede generally faster lock-on to satellites with the Oregon but small screen size is a major nuisance as I don't want to have to fish out my specs continually. Mapping software is more comprehensive with Satmap. I've since seen the Memorymap gizmo and although it's a cheaper package, doesn't seem to match the other two players.
Posted: Wed 6th Jan 2010, 11:26
Garmin Oregon 550 with Garmin GB Discoverer is the Rolls Royce of the GPS, IMHO.
Posted: Tue 1st Dec 2009, 7:55
Satmap 10 without a doubt (but not tried the new Memory Map yet) See my post under "Satmap 10" on the forum and read Simon Leck's review in December's Strider. All have their + and - points but I much prefer the Satmap to a new Garmin Oregon I purchased recently.
Posted: Sat 28th Nov 2009, 21:10
hi at the min i am just using a map and compasse but thing of investing in a gps are they worth there money and which are the best to go for?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law