Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Nordic Walking

Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Thu 29th Oct 2009, 20:33
Local Group: Merseystride
sorry, should have said - the last comment was from Helen. Garfield is better at staying upright on a slope than me, so doesn't use poles (not even to frighten off nosy cattle) ;-)
[Helen]
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Thu 29th Oct 2009, 20:31
Local Group: Merseystride
I can't comment on Nordic Walking as such, but like quit a lot of people I often use two ordinary walking poles, especially on very steep or uneven ground. As far as I know I've never tripped anyone up, but there is definitely an art to getting over a stile without nearly poking the person behind you in the eye! It's a good way of getting a bit more 'personal space' though....... ;-) A more serious benefit to carrying walking poles is that they are really good for waving at over-curious cattle & persuading them to back off a bit.
Author: Katie Hunt
Posted: Tue 27th Oct 2009, 10:46
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Thanks David for your reply and advice. I take it from the lack of response from any other member, that Nordic Walking is not used all that much by LDWA members. Or perhaps members are not reading and getting involved with this forum.
Posted: Fri 16th Oct 2009, 16:43
I took lessons and bought a CD few years ago, It is a useful technique, but mainly as a training aid, though I have used what I learnt on long flat stretches using two ordinary poles. I would advise any one thinking of trying it out to go for lessons first as the Nordic walking poles are fairly expensive and there is a definite knack to using them The instructor I had did not recommend, the poles for multi day use or long day treks.
Author: Katie Hunt
Posted: Fri 16th Oct 2009, 15:44
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Do any members use the Nordic Walking technique on events? I cannot say I have seen anyone - but perhaps I have just not noticed. What concerns me is the poles dragging behind with so many feet around. It would be awful to trip someone up! Has anyone got any hints or tips. I have only tried Nordic Walking for the first time today - and thought I would use the Forum to get other people's ideas and views on people Nordic Walking on Challenge Events. Katie

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law