Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Southern Upland Way

Posted: Thu 16th Sep 2010, 17:13
Graeme,,,,, How did it go you may well ask,,, well into my first day on the traverse from port patrick to black head ,,,well i fell backwards when i was useing the chains to pull my self up god it was cold windy wet and the sea mist was right in,, i went down about 6 foot hurt my back and ankle but managed to get to castle kennedy which was easier than going back to port patrick,,, in the morning it was hard work to get going and to call a halt so it was taxi to stranraer and then the train to peterborough..... at least i got the first day out of the way just 15/16 stages to do now!!!!!!!! next year i am going to walk the WHW with GGW tagged on,,,
the the SUW in 2012 god willing as for the rest of this year lots of walks round rutland walker and gym work to get myself going again
Author: Graeme Andrews
Posted: Sun 20th Jun 2010, 15:49
Local Group: Merseystride
Richard - how did it go ?
Posted: Fri 19th Feb 2010, 12:19
Thanks Graham oh i got my self a travel tap nice bit of kit saves carrying 2 lts keeps the weight down
65 days to go
Posted: Wed 17th Feb 2010, 21:00
I went from Sanquhar, taking the shorter option via Highmill Knowe at Cogshead.

Pleasant walk into Wanlockhead in the sunshine followed by the slog up Lowther Hill and some steep descents off Comb Head.

At Daer Reservoir I went across the head of the reservoir and do remember being a bit hacked off with the long curving route round Sweetshaw Brae when a straight line would have been so much simpler. (Probably not possible in damp conditions as the ground looked at big boggy.)

I camped at Brattleburn bothy (which was empty) and had a short walk the next day into Moffat where I stayed in the Caravan Club site and had a half-day rest with proper food and beer.

The only other walkers I saw were 6 lads who were doing the route as part of their Duke Of Edinburgh award.
Posted: Fri 5th Feb 2010, 11:56
Hi how did any of you find the walk between wanlockhead and moffat??
Richard
Posted: Sat 16th Jan 2010, 12:31
I used the Trail Tap every day, with no adverse effects.

Normally I would only drink from fast moving water, but that was impossible on the trip.

My water sources included slow moving streams, lakes, and almost stagnant water in ditches. At first I was nervous, but the more I used it the more confident I became; without it I would have been in difficulty. I still avoided water that I thought might be heavily contaminated by agricultural run-off.

As you say Elton, finding a water source can be a problem; the TT made that problem a lot easier to solve. Water sources became less of a worry.

I recommend it wholeheartedly.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 15th Jan 2010, 17:44
Local Group: Surrey
That's very interesting, Graeme. When you're hiking self contained, water can be a real problem, both the carrying, because of the weight, but much more the obtaining. If this Trail Tap (now called Traveller Tap) enables you to get water anywhere there is a source, it will be a major boon. How contaminated was the water which you filtered? And did you use it every day with no adverse effects?
Posted: Mon 28th Dec 2009, 10:27
I used Landranger maps 67,73,77,78,82 and printouts of those sections of the walk the occupied a corner of a map. You are welcome to take my maps; if they survive the journey, you can send them back; if not, that's fine too. The route is pretty well marked and I don't remember any navigation problems.

When I did the route I caught the tail-end of the hot-spell we had last year and my biggest problem was the lack of water in the landscape. (Not a problem I have ever had before in Scotland,) Luckily I had a Trail Tap (from backpackinglight.co.uk) so I could drink from standing water.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask them; I'll do my best to answer them as well as my memory allows
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Tue 8th Dec 2009, 17:30
Local Group: Surrey
I have not walked the SUW, but if the Pennine Way is anything to go by, forget about waterproof boots. Bogwater will get in no matter what you do. All waterproof boots will do is make sure it stays in. So wear a pair of Old Leakies or well ventilated trainers so that the water flows out as quickly as it flows in. You’ll have wet socks all day, but that's better than sloshing along in brimming boots.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Mon 7th Dec 2009, 9:03
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Richard, we have a list of maps (LR and Ex) at http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?menu_type=S&path_id=429 and also the guide books which are available.
Posted: Sun 6th Dec 2009, 14:46
Landranger or Explorer OS Maps
Doing the SUW in April any info would be welcome
Posted: Sun 14th Jun 2009, 10:48
I finished the walk on Saturday (13th), it took 11.5 days, with two half-day rests.

Overall I was a little disappointed, especially with the amount of road and forestry-track walking and the "contrived" nature of the route.

By the way, the pub in Cockburnspath is permanently closed, so be warned: there's no celebratory beer to be had at the end.

Still, I'm glad I did it.
Posted: Tue 26th May 2009, 16:46
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies.

In addition to the websites mentioned, I also found
http://www.adventurejournal.com/Southern_Upland_Way/
useful.

(I start the walk on the 2nd of June.)

Graeme
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Tue 26th May 2009, 8:17
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Graeme,
This site may be of some help http://www.southernuplandway.org
Have done several LDP's and this is my favourite.Hope all goes well.
Author: Dennis Gilbert
Posted: Thu 14th May 2009, 15:35
Local Group: Bristol & West
Hi Graeme
I have just completed this splendid National Trail and I am sure you will enjoy it too. There are 6 bothies on the route and, if you wish I can give you details of position and a brief description of 4 of them and if you need information on where you can resupply I will provide that too. One thing you will not be short of is water!
Apart from one night in a bothy I was staying at b & b's.
Please let me know what information would be helpful.
Dennis
Posted: Wed 13th May 2009, 20:55
Hi Graeme, just a thought, you might try the http://www.backpackersclub.co.uk/ for information about cheap campsites. Best Wishes, John
Posted: Sun 10th May 2009, 16:14
Hi Graeme, I am sure you will have checked http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?menu_type=S&path_id=429 where there are publications and some cheap accomodation if you need for plumbing services! Have a good trip. Best Wishes John
Posted: Fri 8th May 2009, 15:57
Hi,

I'm planning on "wild-camping" the route this year.

If anyone knows of any information resources (online or otherwise) or can offer any personal experience, I would love to hear from them.

Thanks,

Graeme

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law