Discussion Forum - The Bothy - The Cumbrian Fells

Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Fri 13th Feb 2009, 19:43
Local Group: Northumbria
Thanks Tony
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Fri 13th Feb 2009, 16:26
Local Group: Lakeland
Have not found time to explore Kentmere, but although the low level snow has mostly gone there is still a good covering visible over 1500 feet. It is freezing at night so I imagine that paths where it has thawed during the day and refrozen at night will be hard ice. Crampons and ice axe still essential.
Posted: Tue 10th Feb 2009, 20:19
Mike,
Haven't been up there yet but hope to do so later in the week. I think that all the fell paths are covered in ice or hard packed snow. The fell assessors are reporting drifts up to a metre on Helvellyn but I haven't seen anything like that where I have been.
Some photos from Sunday at http://www.kendalfellwalkers.co.uk/photo.htm
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Tue 10th Feb 2009, 18:59
Local Group: Northumbria
What's it like round Kentmere and Longsleddale, Tony?
Posted: Tue 10th Feb 2009, 17:39
Walking on the fells at the moment is just about as good as it gets. Clear skies and a good covering of snow are producing the best winter walking for years. But despite two fatalities last week and the strongest of warnings from mountain rescue teams, people are still going up without suitable equipment. I had a fantastic day on the Coniston ridge on Sunday, but I counted ten people wearing ordinary boots without crampons. Unbelievable!
The snow on Coniston is hard, smooth and icy and even on those relatively gentle slopes a slip when wearing ordinary boots will be very difficult to check with the likelihood of sliding down to steeper ground and falling a considerable distance.
Come and enjoy the conditions while they last, but bring crampons and ice axe and choose a route appropriate to your skill level.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law