Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Night Walking

Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Tue 10th Feb 2009, 19:18
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Trevor,

Just to complicate things, in my experience - for night navigation (i.e. not just walking) it is useful to carry a small hand torch. I find that a head torch is great for reading maps and looking at the ground, but when you are tired and in a dark foggy field looking for a vegetation obscured stile in a hedge, you cannot beat a good focused beam fron a hand torch. It also provides a spare back up and saves struggling to change batteries with cold hands in the middle of the night.

So, what I do now is wear a basic Petzel lightweight head torch and also carry a Mini Maglite (that is, the 2 X AA cell torch - not a micro) for navigation and route finding The newer LED mini maglites are very bright and efficient with a very long battery life. They also focus to a beam that will pick up small detail 30 metres away. That works for me.

regards mike
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Sun 8th Feb 2009, 15:00
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
As Steve mentions , use the web for "GO OUTDOORS" offers at the moment i think include the smaller PETZL headtorch for £14 or similar!
Should do fine for any night walk to get u started.
Regards Roy.
Author: Steve Jelfs
Posted: Sun 8th Feb 2009, 10:37
Local Group: Heart of England
i you can still get hold of a petzl semi head +hand tourch
they are great because you can either hold it in your hand or put on your head
if not go out doors do a good range of head torches
Author: Trevor White
Posted: Fri 6th Feb 2009, 21:22
Local Group: South Wales
Can anyone recommend a good but not to expensive head torch. I am due to take part in my first walk with a night section.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law