Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Qualifying for Hundreds

Author: David Morgan
Posted: Thu 12th Mar 2009, 22:05
Local Group: South Wales
I always like to give credit where credit's due!

I had expected to be in a draw for this year's 100 as I did not complete a qualifier last year. I have now been advised that I'm in for the event, and was accepted due to my previous 8 x 100 completions.

A round of applause for pragmatism I say!!!!

Thank you organisers!
Posted: Thu 12th Feb 2009, 13:11
From an entrant's perspective, it's good to know that it is unlikely that a draw will be required.
I've entered the Wye Forest 50, but a decision will have been made by then, so thisa 50 will be irrelevant as far as qualification is concerned, despite the fact that it appears the organisers will accept proof of 50 milers almost up to the date of the event!!
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Mon 9th Feb 2009, 21:55
Local Group: Lakeland
I understand that it is highly unlikely that a draw will be necessary. The rules of the Wessex Hundred say the following on the subject of qualification:-
.....produce evidence of having completed an event of over 50 miles between 1st January 2008 and 23rd May 2009 - this can be a photocopy of a certificate or results sheet. Applications from entrants who have not completed a suitable qualifying event will be considered after March 2009, and we may contact you about your ability to complete the event and navigate at night. In exceptional circumstances the Organisers may waive this requirement if they are satisfied that an entrant can provide evidence of equivalent achievement.
Completion of 8 previous Hundreds would seem pretty good evidence of competence (!) but any questions on the application of this rule should be addressed to the Wessex Hundred organisers.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 9th Feb 2009, 20:16
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Having completed 2 LDWA 50's last year and the 100 I am just a little concerned that having supported LDWA events I may lose out in the draw (which I understand may well be necessary)to applicants who have not completed an LDWA event.Is this a case of the LDWA shooting itself in the foot?
Posted: Mon 9th Feb 2009, 19:41
I don't wish to enter a debate regarding the rules to qualify for the 100 as I knew the rules when I entered! I didn't do a 50 miler last year and have chanced my arm at being accepted.

Tony, you say the 50 miler is to ensure that only competent walkers enter. I've done 8 x 100's. Do I not qualify as a competent walker?!!!!

I did hope that I would be accepted, but it looks like I'm to await the date in March when the field is opened up to others who haven't done the qualifier!!

Regards,

David
Posted: Thu 29th Jan 2009, 12:32
Reg Chapman, Entries Secretary for the Wessex Hundred has posted the following on the event forum:-

The rules of this event do NOT require that the qualifying event be a formal challenge event. Any 50 mile, 'all in one go' walk (provided it is independently verified) is acceptable.
So for all those potential entrants, either get together or on your own, organise a walk, do it and have your completion verified. Verification in this case will just consist of a note signed be the independent verifier. This will be accepted as a valid qualification for the Wessex 100.
The rules are not there to exclude walkers, they are there to protect them by ensuring only competent walkers are accepted for the event.

So you can do your own thing if you wish - but do enter the Peatlands Way or Woldsman if you can, they are a very friendly lot up there.
Posted: Thu 29th Jan 2009, 12:04
I understand that the entry fee for the Woldsman is £15.00.
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Thu 29th Jan 2009, 9:28
Woldsman info is in "Woldsman 2009" within this topic.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 28th Jan 2009, 21:02
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Anyone know how much the Woldsman is going to be? All the details I've seen still have TBA.
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Wed 28th Jan 2009, 20:50
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Unsurprisingly, the Wye Forest 50 is now full.

Details (and entry forms) for the Peatlands Way can be found online at

http://www.thorne-moorends.gov.uk/events/peatlands_way.html
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Tue 20th Jan 2009, 20:56
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
The 50-mile rule has often been a bone of contention, and it was a credit to the CCC organisers that they had the foresight to post a list of acceptable qualifiers on the event website well before they started accepting entries. Alas, that doesn't seem to have happened this year, so it may be that the 50-mile rule will be enforced to the letter - probably best to ask the organisers if you're unsure.

The Across Wales Walk (east to west) is a bit of a special case, in that it's both considerably tougher than any LDWA 50 currently in existence whilst at the same time just falling short of the "magic" 50 mile mark. Whilst disallowing it as a qualifier is rather absurd, simply tweaking the distance to accommodate it would allow events such as the RAF Pathfinder March in Cambridgeshire, which is also around 46 miles long but has less than 1,000ft of climb in it (and is about a third road walking!). So a degree of discretion on the part of the organisers is definitely necessary.

Bruce's Crown (in Galloway) was another problematical one - just 42 miles, but 13,000ft (and rocky ones at that) of ascent. However, it seems to be defunct - last run was in 2007 ....

Of the remaining (confirmed) qualifiers, the Peatlands Way (4th April) is probably the easiest (plus you can always then attempt the Woldsman if you fail to complete). If you're contemplating the Wye Forest 50 you'll probably need to be quick - it filled up the last time it was run in 2006 (website currently says <40 places left!).
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Tue 20th Jan 2009, 18:15
Have a look at the Woldsman on 18th April
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Sat 17th Jan 2009, 15:43
Local Group: Surrey
Andreas,

Yes to runners on the 100. As for the races you mentioned, yes to the RR, WHW, Foot in 2 Dales.

Not sure about Hull - that's the track race, right? Doesn't really test the ability to navigate, so possibly not (which is not to belittle the achievement!)

There are some other 50's in the LDWA calendar in April if you need a qualifier - the Woldsman or the Wye Forest.
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Sat 17th Jan 2009, 9:31
I think there should be a clear LDWA ruling for 'Qualifying for Hundreds'.

It seems to me that these requirements vary at the discretion of the organisers of each '100'. for example, I certainly recall the 'Across Wales Walk' event (approx. 45 miles) being allowed as a qualifying event in one instance due to it's challenging nature. I believe it was the 'Cant Canolbarth Cymru'.

Bill.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Fri 16th Jan 2009, 23:24
Local Group: East Lancashire
This is taken from The Wessex 100 website.

There is a link from the News page, hope it helps

3. Conditions of Entry
All entrants must

be aged 18 years or over on the 23rd May 2009;
have the skills to navigate and read a map in adverse conditions and at night;
produce evidence of having completed an event of over 50 miles between 1st January 2008 and 23rd May 2009 - this can be a photocopy of a certificate or results sheet. Applications from entrants who have not completed a suitable qualifying event will be considered after March 2009, and we may contact you about your ability to complete the event and navigate at night. In exceptional circumstances the Organisers may waive this requirement if they are satisfied that an entrant can provide evidence of equivalent achievement.
have completed an official entry form (or copy) with one entry per form;
have paid the required entry fee;
agree to comply with the event rules.
Posted: Fri 16th Jan 2009, 19:04
Can anybody tell me how I qualify for Hundreds ? I believe I need to "finish" a event that is 50miles or more (by walking or running, right ?)?
Can anybody tell me of any events that are suitable as quailifyiers ?
Round Rotherham ? Hull 24H ? West Highland Way ? Afoot in two dales ?
Do hundreds organiser allow runners ?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law