Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Injured by tally!

Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Wed 26th Nov 2008, 13:06
Local Group: South Manchester
The Bullock Smithy Hike tally used to cause untold multiple stabbing injuries from its sharp corners in windy weather, until the organisers listened to comments after a particularly windy year and redesigned it with rounded corners. However, I think it's best to tie tallies to a rucksack or bumbag strap to avoid the problem in the first place. It also avoids the aforementioned inaccessible and sweaty tallies for the poor marshals to handle.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 19th Nov 2008, 23:34
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Ooops - Tony - I'd not thought about the sweaty bit for the marshalls. I hadn't noticed any complaints. Or offers to retrieve it! But maybe I'll find another place to put my tally in future.
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 18th Nov 2008, 20:21
Dibbers everytime for me
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Tue 18th Nov 2008, 17:33
Local Group: East Lancashire
I picked up a little plastic gadget in George Fishers a few years ago. I think it is for a ski pass (not being posh I have no idea if this is true). It clips on my rucsac and has a retactable, spring loaded string (like a tape measure). Easy to extend for clipping and then retracts.
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Tue 18th Nov 2008, 11:13
I (& several others) were disqualified from the Chevy Chase a few years ago for not 'dibbing' at a required dib-stop, even though we definitely had. I put it down to the weather (thunderstorm). Give me a tally every time. (I usually attach it to a rucsac side pocket, so as to avoid 'tally-rub' or even strangulation).
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Tue 18th Nov 2008, 10:07
Local Group: Merseystride
Dibbers are the answer ! (Garfield)
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 18th Nov 2008, 9:30
Local Group: Mid Wales
In my next life I want to be reincarnated as a 'tally' and see where I end up :) I appreciate I'll have good days and bad days (depending on who picks me), but life could become quite exciting at times!!
Not looking forward to all those clippers though, I'm terrified of needles as it is. Matt.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 18th Nov 2008, 9:01
Local Group: Lakeland
Don't forget the unfortunate checkpointers who have to deal with tallies in all sorts of disgusting conditions. It's a particular problem with runners who delve into their sweaty inner recesses to extract a soggy B.O. impregnated tally for the marshal to clip. Perhaps a can of deodorant spray should be a standard item of checkpoint equipment!
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Mon 17th Nov 2008, 21:08
Local Group: Marches
beware the Long Mynd Hike tally - it is a semicircle of rigid plastic with 2 very sharp corners. I usually tie my tally to my rucsac strap with a very short string but on the Hike this results in sharp jabs in the soft fleshy part of the inner arm. Ow!
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 16th Nov 2008, 22:48
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I did the Wensleydale Wedge today - in the glorious sunshine! Very nice. Only one snag - the tally to show which checkpoints you'd visited has given me a rash on my tummy! I usually tuck them down the front of my top so they don't flap around and it's easy to just pull them out with the string when you get to a checkpoint. Not sure what it was about today's tally. It was rather large. I did move it after a while because I could feel it digging in. It's this digging in that has given me a 2" square of little red dots! Moved it to my back and then the string kept getting twisted so tied it to the strap on my bumbag. Never had any trouble like this before. Anyone else suffered like this? Where is the best place to put them?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law