Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Wessex 100

Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 1st Jun 2009, 19:09
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Garfield - don't wish to sound smug but I did suggest combining "events" and "event reports" sections - this would solve the problem of where to post!
Author: Nigel Dean
Posted: Mon 1st Jun 2009, 18:08
Local Group: West Lancashire
Heck that was quick, or was I temporally blind was it there before?
Author: Nigel Dean
Posted: Mon 1st Jun 2009, 17:26
Local Group: West Lancashire
Any chance of the results in Microsoft exel format? Presumably this is how they were entered anyway. It is handy to manipulate to see where you gained /lost time etc.

Excellent event all round as usual. Long tracks make for easy navigation but less exciting walking depending on the view available.

Thanks to those canny Scots providing the map for next year! Looks well worth the long journey.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Fri 29th May 2009, 9:40
Local Group: Merseystride
To save dual-posting, all Wessex 100 comments should now be made in the "Event Reports" forum.

Thanks,

Garfield
(Forums Moderator)
Posted: Thu 28th May 2009, 12:43
My GPS measured 101.3 miles, Tracklogs was a bit shorter at 100.7. Have you checked the resultant track from your GPS? It can pick up distortions and reflections in woods and indoors. These can really skew your result as the GPS thinks it's somewhere else! Either trim these manually or sometimes the mapping software has a filter you can adjust.
One thing I'm certain of, it was NOT 111 miles - even though it felt like it!!!
(Garfield)
Posted: Thu 28th May 2009, 11:13
This was my 3rd attempt at the hundred and at last I've completed it. The support was great as always and really kept me going.
My only concern was that by the end my GPS made the walk 111 miles! On some of the sections it was reading upto a mile and a half longer than stated! Surley a GPS can't be 11% inaccurate? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Did anyone else measure the distance with a GPS?
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Tue 26th May 2009, 17:12
Local Group: Surrey
Thanks for the photos, Merrian.

Is it the ale which accounts for Dave's astonishing speed?
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Tue 26th May 2009, 12:12
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Tue 26th May 2009, 11:48
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Another tough 100. But aren't they all.
The weather was brilliant, to view the scenery, but made it very tough on the steep climbs encountered.
As always checkpoints & staff/food brilliant.
Helpfull & jolly takes the mind away from the pain( for a moment at least).
Very good weekend, good mates, usual pains/sore feet etc, bit stiffer this time due to tripping & crashing sideway's on the pavement.
Will the weather be so kind in SCOTLAND ????
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Tue 26th May 2009, 11:02
Local Group: Dorset
Well, I really enjoyed the hundred.

The weather was good, the support was brilliant, and I find bit of tarmac now and then is a pleasant contrast to the occasional flinty and/or rutted tracks.

The route had fantastic views of a beautiful countryside - really a green and pleasant land. We saw some remarkable specimen trees, butterflies and lots of orchids.

Deirdre and I, we being among the backmarkers, even managed to get a lovely hot shower at the breakfast point. Now that's what I call luxury..

mike
Author: Maria Tymrakiewicz
Posted: Mon 25th May 2009, 22:54
I only managed 29.5 miles of the 100 and there was enough road walking on that (in terms of ratio) for the whole event. I have done the South Downs Challenge walk and enjoyed that much more than the 29.5 miles I did of the Wessex 100, so who went wrong. I think for an LDWA flagship event, the amount of raod walking was rather disappointing, as the lengths of grey tarmac proceeded rather to the end of the event I am told, and in fact I did see and read. Rather disappointed, and feeling a little bit cheated. Therefore sore in more ways than one!
Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Fri 22nd May 2009, 20:48
Better not forget the survival bag! Wouldn't want to get disqualified for that ......
Posted: Thu 21st May 2009, 23:28
Best of luck everyone! Gonna be a warm one, I reckon. Still, better than all that wind and dust last year - and the steep climbs. (Garfield)
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 21st May 2009, 15:17
Local Group: Surrey
Weather is hot and dry, Sat & Sun, rainy Monday, cooler at night. I hope some of the puddles have dried by Sat.
Posted: Mon 11th May 2009, 17:43
On Countryfile on Sunday 3rd May, Jules Hudson had a lesson in natural navigation. I’m pretty sure he tested his skills on a reverse bit of the Wessex 100 route. 3 days left on iPlayer, it's about 42 minutes into the programme.

Countryfile
Posted: Sat 7th Mar 2009, 12:14
Just finished preparing maps from the RD. Looks a great route - obviously different in nature from last year, and certainly a sharp contrast to what is planned for next year!

Plenty of ascent - over 11,000 ft - and some long stretches of tracks in the later stages (ideal for falling asleep on). Also looks to be some intricate navigation in woodlands during the night.

The RD is clear to follow, not too verbose, and I didn't have too many problems transferring it to my mapping software.

Well done everyone - looking good !

(Garfield)
Posted: Mon 2nd Mar 2009, 9:45
The Route Description can now be downloaded from the Route page of the Wessex 100 website.
Posted: Sat 1st Nov 2008, 12:09
I've seen the future and it works(some american said that of the russian revolution in the 1920, and look what happened. So be warned), I refer to the online route mapping on that event's website that incorporates mapping, satellite imagery and a hybrid of the two formats. Thus you can look down on the actual countryside traversed by the 100 with road names included. With mobile phone technology already including GPS location then the time is imminent when your progress around a route can be imposed on Google mapping and the problems of night navigation, and daytime as well, will be a thing of the past. Go to the web site and se the results for yourself. Well done Wessex.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law