Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Night time challenge event

Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Sat 1st Nov 2008, 17:11
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Who remembers the "The Night Owl"?. It was organised by East Yorkshire LDWA, starting from Pocklington at 8 pm, with a route of about 30 miles. It ran for a few years and has occasionally been revived as a social group walk.
Author: Neil Smith
Posted: Fri 31st Oct 2008, 12:25
I'd be interested. I lost lots of time in the night section of this year's 100 so I could definitely do with the practice.
For me a Friday night would be best because it would give more time to catch up with missed sleep before going back to work on the Monday.
Author: Kevin McCann
Posted: Wed 29th Oct 2008, 6:00
Local Group: Wessex
Night orienteering events tend to attract a few regulars but don't seem to bring in the numbers needed to make it "worthwhile". Many highly competent orienteers are put off by night navigation. Perhaps the promise of a less demanding route navigation wise and also a shorter alternative might work.

Good luck!
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 28th Oct 2008, 22:19
Local Group: Mid Wales
Jane and I put on a ldwa 'one off' (July) all nighter a few years back "Blue Moon Challenge", about 30 miles in Elan valley area on the night of a full moon. I have to say we had a very poor attendence from members, and numbers mainly made just about acceptable (50+ starters I think) by running friends and non ldwa members. Everyone seemed to love the event, but we haven't repeated it mainly due to that initial lack of interest. There's a lot on in June. I would love it, but I know I won't make that month. Matt.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Tue 28th Oct 2008, 22:15
Local Group: Merseystride
Nice reminder, Tony.
I think I've entered the TROS the last two years and not been able to do it due to work commitments. Maybe third time lucky? Garfield
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Tue 28th Oct 2008, 19:15
Local Group: Cumbria
Sounds fun, Wendy. Maybe the only way I'd have a chance of keeping up with you!
I hope you don't choose 13th.June - that's the date for this year's 3 Rings of Shap.
Good luck with it.
Tony
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 27th Oct 2008, 21:39
Local Group: Merseystride
Nice idea, and one I'd certainly consider entering. 24 miles will be about 6.5 hours for me; perhaps a bit longer if the navigation is tricky. This would mean only half the event would be in the dark. We'd also be hanging around before the start, so maybe a 10.30 or 11pm start? We used to start at that time when doing the Lyke Wake Walk - all those years ago!
Could you start near a cafe, or hostel, who'd be happy to do a deal on a cooked breakfast? I would rather pay a few more quid and have this.
Just a thought.
Garfield
Author: Wendy Leete
Posted: Mon 27th Oct 2008, 21:08
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Persons in North Yorkshire are wondering who might be interested in a night time challenge event. The idea is of around 24 miles circ, starting at midnight, possibly Friday or Saturday in mid summer (June ish) somewhere in North Yorkshire.
As you all know how much effort and hard work goes into arranging these events we would welcome your thoughts and interests.
Obviously we couldn't serve the type of breakfast that the 100 offers, but we could possibly manage bacon or egg butties!!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law