Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Original Mountain Marathon

Posted: Sat 22nd Nov 2008, 21:17
I'll try to keep this short.
I was there. And I was there last year when the weather was as bad and there were more injuries - but that happened in a part of Scotland where no one lives. And there's no slate mine owners making a fuss when he sees people who are cold and wet and he thinks they're hypothermic. Had the event been cancelled on the Saturday morning we'd have all just gone into the hills and treated it as a training weekend, so if you think "cancelling" the event would have stopped us going into the hills, you're wrong. The MRTs were indeed busy: mostly with a party of 4 walkers who went out for a short walk on Saturday morning at 10am and finished being rescued at 3am on sunday. They were nothing to do with the OMM: why aren't you demanding their heads on a platter? As for the head of the local NHS trust: I expect he knows a lot about knee surgery but he sure knows nothing about mountain marathons. Has he thought through the implications of a paid servant of the state banning people from fell walking in poor weather - and the economic impact of that on the businesses in the Lake District - which would surely go bankrupt every winter? The weather was warmer than we had on the Saunders mountain marathon in the Lakes in July - we had sleet and hail then. this year, several hundred people had a really good Saturday. The forecast for Sunday was fine - it was actually a rather pleasant day for the time of year - so we knew all we had to do was to get to the overnight camp and we'd be OK. Of course, the ground was flooded and the roads were blocked - but in case you hadn't noticed, we don't use roads in mountain marathons so that doesn't affect us and we would expect to wade a stream a dozen times a day so our feet would be soaked from the beginning to the end. Sure, the wind was very strong and there was a lot of rain, but in Norway they say "there is no such thing as poor weather, only poor clothing" and anyone with less than bombproof weather protection would have been soaked in the first five minutes and probably given up. In the end, several hundred - mostly those who had later starts when the wind had become stronger - did give up of their own accord and went back to the start. The others arrived at the overnight camp and were told to walk the 5 miles back to their cars. Had the slate mine owner not interfered they would have done so and been back in their cars wearing warm dry clothing by nightfall. Then this would not have merited a paragraph in the Westmoreland Gazette. This year there were fewer injuries than normal, and one broken leg - last year there were two. Half a dozen people being warmed up in hospital is not a major national emergency, unless I am the only person who thinks the world has gone mad. The LDWA, of all organisations, should be worried by this tendency for couch potatos to pass verdict of those of us who like being outdoors in all weathers. It's not far from banning the OMM because of a weather forecast to banning an LDWA event because of the weather forecast. I think it should be left up to those taking part in the event to decide on their own abilities and their own safety. The other day I was rather chuffed to receive through the post a bright orange certificate from the OMM, saying I had started Day One, and "used my sound mountain judgment". I'm rather proud of that assessment.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Mon 3rd Nov 2008, 22:13
Local Group: Marches
On Saturday I went out with 4 like minded friends to enjoy the first snow of winter in North Wales. Equipped with ice axes and crampoms we climbed into Cwm Glas and up Parsley Fern Gully - a favourite grade 1 climb. This brings you out to just under the trig point on Crib y Ddysgyl - and we then crossed the ridge over Crib y Ddysgyl and Crib Goch reversing the usual route. Dozens of people - at least 60 were crosing the other way - over a snow covered knife edge ridge. Perhaps 15 - 20 were properly equipped and appeared to know what they were doing - as for the rest - inadequately equipped, clothed, shod - in some instances wearing trainers. A whole crowd of people putting themsalves at risk and potentially putting the rescue services at risk. I have scoured the press for the shock horror reports and have failed to find any. Ironic that criticism is heaped on organisers who let experienced fell runners deal with the conditions that they are equipped and prepared to face - and who justify the confidence the organisers have in them - when others wander the fells and mountains with a complete disregard for the safety of themselves and others.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sat 1st Nov 2008, 12:47
Local Group: Lakeland
It’s unfortunate that most of the discussion about the event has been focussed on competitor safety, which was just one of the considerations. Aided by the over the top comments from the publicity seeking owner of Honister Slate Mine the media sensationalised this aspect of the event and the organisers were forced into a robust defence. I’m not sure that their contention that every competitor was some sort of weather proof superhero would stand up to detailed examination, but there is no doubt that the organisers seem to have done a comprehensive job of ensuring that experience, equipment and backup were appropriate for the challenge that might normally be expected.

In the previous post Chris Dawes mentions the issue that has largely been ignored – the infrastructure. The problems didn’t begin on Saturday, but on Thursday when several inches of rain fell on already sodden ground and there was a fair bit of localised flooding in NW Cumbria. The weather on Friday was superb – Chris and I were walking the Cumbria Coastal Way and we had a memorable day on the section over St Bees Head to Whitehaven. The forecast for Saturday was quite appalling and it was clear that police and rescue authorities would be stretched to the limit in coping with the expected extensive flooding and road disruption, which duly came to pass. The last thing they needed was to have to deal with 2000 people playing on the fells who did not need to be there and I suspect that was the reason for the police recommending cancellation.

It’s a pity for the organisers that the extreme weather didn’t arrive until mid morning. I can see that it might be difficult to convince people who had collectively paid around £200,000 to take part in an event that they had trained for months for to get in their cars and go home, when the weather at 8am was no worse than a typical Lake District day. However I find it hard to believe that the organisers truly expected to be able to complete the event in the light of the “once in 40 years” rainfall forecast and the fact that it was called off only 4 hours or so later supports that. Cancelling the event on Saturday morning would have been a brave decision – but the correct one.

There is also the need to consider the PR aspects of large events. The organisers response to the media reports was of necessity robust, but it also came over as arrogant – “you lot don’t understand what we are about so just let us get on with it”. There is increasing local resistance to the invasion by Three Peakers who block the roads and have to be rescued by MRTs (one in five callouts for Wasdale MRT are to 3P participants) and resentment at the cost borne by the local authority. There is a danger that all events are going to be tarred with the same brush. Here is the comment of Cumbria’s Director of public health following the OMM:-
“It makes me think that we need to look again at what happens with these big events and the responsibilities of organisers. If there is a weather forecast that says that people should not be going out, should that now have a legal basis so people should have indemnity insurance? This would ensure we can recover the costs the same way we do with road traffic accidents and events like the Great North Run. In a way, they have just parachuted into the Lake District, done their bit and gone away. They didn't spend any money. They came in their cars and went in their cars and just left Cumbria with a big bill."

None of us want that to happen, do we?
Posted: Fri 31st Oct 2008, 21:56
Having compiled risk assessments for a number of events including a 100 this year's OMM gave me food for thought.

I've done the Event(as the KIMM) more times than I care to remember in snow and wind and driving rain but I've had the most trouble when it was hot and dry. Ss an entrant I expect the weather to be bad and tend to be surprised when it is good. It seems from reports that most entrants this year had the same thoughts.

The media certainly seem to have over reacted and did not appreciate the nature of the event. As for 1300 runners being stranded. Well you expect to camp overnight so most did that but not where they were intended to.

A point here for organisers. You need to appoint an official spokesman whose name is circulated to Marshals at least and all media inquiries should be directed to that person. Reporters want a story, that is their job, and they have dead lines to meet.

My understanding is that our insurers require a risk assessment and this should explain the nature of the event and care taken to avoid entrants coming to harm. A version of this should be in the public domain so that it provides copy for reporters. Putting this on a web site would help in this.

One feature of the reporting that reflected poorly on the Event was that mobile phones and GPS were banned. These aids are controversial, and agreed, phone coverage in mountain areas may be incomplete but in an emergency the contact and accurate location of an incident is of utmost importance to rescue services.

I noted that the policeman handling the incident decided to concentrate resources on the community and let the competitors look after themselves so he was convinced of the default safety measures of the Event.

However one factor that was raised by a public health expert as seemingly ignored in the decision making was the one of infra structure. Severe weather warnings had been issued on the basis that heavy rain on top of what had already fallen would cause severe flooding and cause bad driving conditions that were themselves a hazard. This would impact on local communities and effect services to them so that emergency responders would be overburdened and distracted with so many calls on their resources.

I have no criticism of the decisions made last weekend but there are lessons to learned and organisers of LDWA events need to consider the possibility of canceling an walk even at the last minute if faced with extreme weather. Above all think through the consequences of continuing in the face of overwhelming adversity.
Author: John King
Posted: Fri 31st Oct 2008, 21:16
Garfield and Helen, there is no greater teacher than experience, and to gain that we need to take calculated risks.

Otherwise we would be sat in front of a TV having our minds twisted by Sensationlised media reports of folk out enjoying themselves out in the wind and rain.

I know what i would rather be doing
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Thu 30th Oct 2008, 17:40
Local Group: Merseystride
Just read some of the Planet Fear articles.

I agree with an awful lot that's said in this one:-

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/Risks_Grand_Arena_1029.html

I wouldn't count myself as particularly bold or adventurous, especially by comparison with the OMM regulars, but I know I learned a great deal from falling off of bikes and ponies and over my own feet as a youngster, and I'm not convinced that being entirely prevented from hurting myself would have helped me a great deal in the long term (although I'm all in favour of the improved standards of instructor training which have come about since then).

Anyone else got thoughts on this?

[Helen]
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 29th Oct 2008, 16:17
Local Group: Merseystride
A Just Giving Fund-Raising page has been set up to raise funds for the Lake District Mountain Rescue Association. It's not necessary to have been directly involved in the OMM to contribute. I'm sure lots of LDWA members donate to mountain rescue anyway, but if not here's another opportunity!

http://www.justgiving.com/theomm08-mrtdonation

"In the aftermath of the OMM event being cancelled, Lake District mountain rescue teams swung into action and helped many people. I'm sure many of them, and general supporters of the OMM/KIMM whether they were there this year or not would like to show their generosity to the local Mountain Rescue Teams."

[Helen Southall]
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Tue 28th Oct 2008, 23:10
Local Group: Cumbria
If you look at the OMM website and various associated forums it is apparent that, perversely, the overwhelming majority of competitors had a fantastic time and thoroughly enjoyed the awful (!) conditions.
I don’t know why all the MRT’s were involved but, considering all factors, the number of casualties does seem remarkably small and is apparently much about the norm for this event.
Certainly this year is not alone in providing challenging conditions for entrants. I well remember my initiation at Strathyre in 1983 when we woke during the night to find ourselves apparently camped in a river – luckily the tent we used had an opening at each end for some reason, so the water was able to flow away freely!
Then there was Galloway 1986 with winds so strong below the Merrick it was only possible to make progress over a ridge by wriggling across on our stomachs! As for the Howgills in 1989 when we were so wet it must have taken a week to dry out.
Somehow you remember these days better than the fair ones!
Author: Nicky Wood
Posted: Tue 28th Oct 2008, 20:50
Hmmmm interesting to see the feedback here. I agree with most of the comments about the media going flip overboard about the event and looking for a bad news story. But it still stands that 5 mountain rescue teams were out, and several people ended up in hospital. Sure I understand extreme sports and the desire to battle the elements, but it just seems to me that on this particular occasion the risks were slightly out of proportion to the excitement to be gained. I just worry that it will mean clamp downs on those of us who do organise marathon style events in the future and further insurance restrictions.

The sun is shining now up here in Cumbria - what a shame the event wasn't held today as everyone would have had a fab time. And re those of you who thought being in a tent would've been fun last Saturday - welllll I guess I just like my bed too much :-)
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 28th Oct 2008, 20:22
It seems outside interference by folk that have no idea about how these events work was not particularly helpful e.g at no stage was anybody lost not until 1600 hrs on Sunday by which time everybody was accounted for.

A good factual account can be had here :-

http://www.planetfear.com/news/OMM_T...tory_2267.html

In my opinion it should not have been canceled and i wish i had been there sounds like a cracking day out.

In addition i feel the organisers should be congratulated for allowing the event to go ahead giving the participants to enjoy what they turned up for which in turn proved that the vetting process for entrants is spot on WELL DONE TO THEM ALL

Just a shame that people that have no understanding of a minority sport found a need to interfere.

Again this says it all :-

http://www.planetfear.com/news/OMM_T...tory_2267.html
Posted: Tue 28th Oct 2008, 20:04
Their has been a lot of medi hype up here and as normal when these things happen every Tom, Dick and Mabel, who has an axe to grind, has jumped on to the waggon. Some of these appear to have little knowledge of the fells or the people who use them and some I suspect are going to use this for their own purposes, which will have little to do with those that use the fells but will line some allready deep pockets.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 27th Oct 2008, 22:30
Local Group: Mid Wales
These 2 articles explain things quite well, from the event itself as seen by organisers and competitors.

[url]http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/racereport.php?race_id=6846&article_id=5437&page_count=1&page_action=rep[url]

[url]http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/racereport.php?page_action=rep&race_id=6846&article_id=5441[url]

Matt.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 27th Oct 2008, 20:40
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I wasn't there so I am not going to pass judgement on whether the event should have started or otherwise.
However,Matt has touched upon a point that does concern me and this is the media coverage.Matt maintains this does not reflect actual events.Time and again when anyone goes missing in the hills the media cannot wait to over sensationalise the situation.Left up to them we should never be allowed on to the hills however well prepared we are.Yes,in any situation accidents/wrong judgements will happen,but I feel outdoor enthusiasts are unfairly selected against by the media.Am I alone in thinking this way?
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 27th Oct 2008, 20:15
Local Group: Mid Wales
I think it was an excellent call to start the race, and spot on to cancel day 2 when they did. In fact the organisers made exemplary decisions right through. By all accounts the media reporting bore little resemblance to what was happening on the ground.
I have yet to hear of a single participant criticising the event going ahead - and most seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and relished the challenge. Many finished day 1 dissapointed that day 2 was cancelled - they are now trying to cobble together some results !

I wasn't there, (though quite a few friends were) but did my own 2 day mini-marathon (solo) on the Rhinogs Friday/Saturday. I too was blown about a bit in my tent overnight and on foot, it was great, only wish I had been in the Lakes, what an experience. Matt.
Author: Nicky Wood
Posted: Sun 26th Oct 2008, 20:15
As the person who recorded the Lake District Weatherline for Saturday 25th, I am horrified to hear that the Original Mountain Marathon organisers went ahead with their event this weekend, putting a huge range of largely voluntary rescue services to so much unnecessary trouble.

Their 'get out' clause seems to be along the lines of it's ok we are very experienced organisers. Surely that would be all the more reason for making the right decision and cancelling the event in the most appauling weather conditions. The forecast, together with severe flood weather warnings, were accurate, and predicted 3 days in advance, so there was no excuse of being 'caught out' by the weather.

It's half term up here and there are families and less experienced walkers around who might genuinely get into trouble and need the rescue services support. They should not have been having to 'waste' their time looking after these 'highly skilled' runners who made in my view a very poor judgement call.

What do you think? Did anyone enter? Did you think it should have been called off.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law