Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Bullock Smithy Hike

Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Sat 4th Oct 2008, 14:08
Local Group: South Manchester
Here's a snippet of information for any Bullock Smithy fans out there. I went to a showing of vintage films at the Stockport Plaza super cinema a couple of days ago. One of the films was shot in Hazel Grove in 1936 and showed the centenary celebrations of changing the town's name from Bullock Smithy to Hazel Grove. I understand the town had a poor reputation, known for all manner of wickedness. They probably wanted to improve its image way back then in 1836.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Mon 8th Sep 2008, 13:15
Local Group: South Manchester
The BSH had its own unique challenge this year - you guessed it, water. It was described as a 56-mile hike along a stream, more akin to canyoning. Nonetheless, as we set off at midday on Saturday, the sun was showing itself. We were in the eye of the storm and we continued to enjoy sunny, mild, calm conditions for the rest of the day as we sloshed our way through evidence of recent inundations, never far away from the sound of gushing water. Most paths were streams, sometimes washed away down to bedrock. Sandbags were in evidence in Castleton to protect properties from overflowing rivers.
The showers that eventually caught us after nightfall never posed a real problem, though this was the first time ever I have reached the top of the track by Macclesfield Forest and not been able to see the lights glowing below on the Cheshire Plain. Either there was a Cheshire-wide powercut or there was a lot of 'weather' in the way. The shower that hit us a few minutes later proved the latter to be the case.
The event was brilliantly organised and catered for, as always. The jam doughnuts at Chelmorton, hot dogs at Brand Top and Golden Syrup cake at Walker Barn were some of the goodies that went down a treat. I shall return.

Nick.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law