Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Wycoller Hoof Challenge Walk - Sunday 28 September

Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 30th Sep 2008, 9:53
Local Group: Lakeland
Many thanks to East Lancs for holding their nerve and going ahead with the event. The entries did roll in eventually and we all had an excellent day with lovely weather and a varied route in an attractive area that was totally new to me. A hard day too - I reckon we climbed over 4000 feet as well as walking 26 miles, with a fair bit on pathless moors and fields. The long climb to Hoof Stones was not too wet thanks to a couple of weeks of drying weather but my legs will not easily forget the 2 kilometre descent through the thick tussocky grass!
Author: Roy N Davies
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2008, 21:37
Local Group: East Lancashire
Not sure why not many runners are then though we have been helped by the FRA with publicity so hopefully will get a lot of entries on the day. For all those of you with nothing planned for next Sunday let me tell you that summer has made a belated return to East Lancashire and is forecast to last until early Oct. The ground is drying out fast and petrol prices are falling faster than Gordon Brown's popularity rating so make up for a lousy summer all round by joining us next week.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 14th Sep 2008, 17:34
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The Yorkshire man was today, so that's not the reason why runners are not entered. I seem to remember a fair few entered on the day last year. Not really fair on the organisers I don't think, but if they can do it (even if more expensive) some people do it. They may just be waiting until a bit nearer the time in case they are injured or something.
Posted: Sat 13th Sep 2008, 9:48
Before responding to earlier postings can I first of all point out that our event is open to under 18s as long as they are accompanied by an adult. The entry form says 18 and over only but this is wrong. If any under 18s would like to enter there is still plenty of time or you can enter on the day.Re running events I am told there is a fell race that weekend called the Yorkshireman which is hugely popular, so that is probably one good reason why we are struggling to get runners. The problem in trying to stage any event is finding a weekend when there doesn't seem much else on and then later you find out there is more competition than you realised. Finally thanks to those of you who have said they will come and support us.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Fri 12th Sep 2008, 17:23
Local Group: Northumbria
Is there another event on the same day that is attracting the runners?
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Fri 12th Sep 2008, 12:38
Local Group: Merseystride
Two more here! Entry forms next week.

Garfield & Helen
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Wed 10th Sep 2008, 23:40
Local Group: South Manchester
This event deserves to live! I took part in the inaugural one last year and found it to be one of the friendliest and most well supported events, in a part of the country that no other events touch. If you have nothing booked for 28th September, book this one; satisfaction guaranteed! Some pictures from last year are here:
http://www.alangreenwood.biz/walkingpage/Wycoller%20Hoof/index.htm

Nick.
Posted: Tue 9th Sep 2008, 21:14
Brilliant Fiona - thanks a lot. For some reason we hardly had any runners last year and the same applies this year - we must be missing a trick somewhere. If anyone out there would like to see a route description prior to deciding whether or not to enter just let me know.
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Sat 6th Sep 2008, 19:04
Local Group: Surrey
I have flagged up the event on the LDWA thread on the Fell Runners forum. I hope you get a few more entries from that branch of the outdoor fraternity.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Fri 5th Sep 2008, 22:35
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Well either I am one of those 13, or you have 14 entries. Really enjoyed it last year (on the vague moor in the mist!)
Posted: Fri 5th Sep 2008, 20:11
Sadly we have only 13 entries to date for this event but our Group took the decision on Tuesday that the event should go ahead otherwise it could be lost forever. We have been beset by problems, firstly having to change the date and then change the routes after being denied access to Widdop Moor. The decision to risk losing a lot of money we can ill afford is based on the fact that we believe we have a very attractive event. Please come along and support us on the day and we would appreciate it if you would put the word about and try to encourage others to enter. Runners are of course also welcome. Our routes now are 17 miles and 26 miles.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law