Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Pennine Way

Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Fri 5th Feb 2010, 14:26
Local Group: Northumbria
I know someone who is aiming to walk a nine day PW for charity. She wants to complete in a time at the top end of the walking times for the purpose of sponsorship. Nine days sounds good to me, but are there any stats to prove it?
Posted: Sat 1st Nov 2008, 16:23
I did a 9 day PW first week of September. I relied on streams mostly for drinking water as I always have done, for over 50 years now. I have never had any problems, apart from on this latest trip, the first clear water after Kinder was just before Stanage (1st nights camp)all other streams were really dark Peaty.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 5th Jul 2008, 14:19
Local Group: Surrey
Thanks Sue, that's very helpful.
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Fri 4th Jul 2008, 13:17
I've done it both ways and prefer the north/south. Most people walk s/n, which means you only usually meet other walkers once if going the other way, (which can be a good or a bad thing depending on your point of view). Wild camping isn't always an option except in obvious upland stretches, but there are some paying campsites too, and it's always worth asking farmers if they'll let you camp in a field. Buying food isn't a problem if you're carrying for the initial 2/3 days (going either way). Reliable supplies available at Bellingham, Alston, Middleton-in-Teesdale, Hawes, Horton in Ribblesdale, Malham, Gargrave & Hebden Bridge. However there are also various cafes/pubs in between some of these. Hope you get some good weather.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 3rd Jul 2008, 12:11
Local Group: Surrey
I’m planning on doing the Pennine Way soon, camping so as not to be tied to a B&B schedule. Any tips, recommendations, advice? I would like to do it north to south, but the National Trails website recommends south to north (“to keep the weather at your back”). Does it make much difference? I’m planning on taking 3 days food and buy as I go thereafter. Are there shops in the villages the Way goes through? I plan to take water from mountain streams and use chlorine purification tablets.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law