Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Maintaining long distance walking fitness

Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Mon 9th Jun 2008, 10:22
Local Group: High Peak
short and often by short i mean upto 20miles weekly or depending on how much time you have 7 miles a day at different speeds. it depends on how you feel,and how quickly your body recovers,the more miles under your belt the better, all trial and error

when i was comming back from injury my physio had me doing 6 mile walk once a week with gym work 3 x a week and then uping the walk to 2x a week and then 3x a week with a 20+ mile walk monthly to build up my stamina, but if you are doing 4.5mph you don't need building up
Author: Teresa Brown
Posted: Sun 8th Jun 2008, 21:28
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
I have recently completed the London Moonwalk power walking marathon - the one where everyone walks at night in bras to raise money for breast cancer charities!

Having got to this walking fitness (ie 4.5 miles/hour - 26 miles in 7 hours ish inc stops) I need some advice about how to maintain this level of walking fitness so that I can do say a 20 miler without any problem at any time. Would I need to do one long walk/month or a walk a week?
All feedback welcome
Teresa

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law