Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Wadsworth Parish Boundary Walk, 8th June

Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 29th Jun 2008, 13:27
Local Group: Merseystride
Alan, the main waymarking was done with small stakes with day-glo orange pennants stapled to them. I saw a few at the start location, so I know these to be the ones used, and they were evident at most of the more open, or confusing, sections of the route. They will have been a great help to the less-experienced navigators. I suspect the yellow dots were already marking the various acknowledged ROW's the route used. Garfield
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Sun 29th Jun 2008, 11:04
Local Group: Calderdale
I did the event a couple of years ago and recognise much of what Garfield mentions. The route is in Calderdale Group's backyard and is advertised in Strider. One unfortunate aspect of the event this year is that the organisers appear to have waymarked the route using yellow paint blobs on gate posts, walls and boulders and in some instances have painted arrows. I assume when advertising events in Strider non LDWA groups are required to promise to adhere to the Countryside Code as LDWA groups are required to do e.g. to leave nothing other than footprints behind. If so then this event, if they admit to the waymarking, may be bringing the LDWA into disrepute.Perhaps Garfield would be good enough to say if this waymaking was on all the route as I only crossed part of it this weekend.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sun 8th Jun 2008, 20:47
Local Group: Merseystride
One of the wonderful aspects of our sport is the diversity of events. From the highly organised to the informal, from rigidly regulated to casual control. This particularly friendly and highly-enjoyable walk is organised by the Rotary Club and starts from a rug manufacturer's warehouse in Hebden Bridge. An excellent route description guides you for 21 miles around the parish boundary, which is the second longest in the UK. The Calderdale scenery is magnificent throughout and the 3600ft ascent is stacked into the first half of the walk. A variable start-time makes for an easy and uncongested start. You are given a sandwich and an apple as a packed lunch, and 4 stations serve orange squash. At the end the Mayor presents you with a badge and certificate and a "Thank You" on behalf of the recipient charity. Of course, the fabulous weather did help and it was getting really hot by the time Helen and I finished. So, thanks for the friendly and chatty support - we'll certainly recommend the walk and be back soon. Garfield & Helen

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law