Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Help required

Author: Trevor White
Posted: Tue 30th Sep 2008, 22:54
Local Group: South Wales
Well I completed the "Caerphilly Summits" in 13 1/2 hours in some horrendous weather. And also did the "Coventry Way" in 13 1/2 hours. So i must be doing somethng right.
Posted: Wed 4th Jun 2008, 21:21
Thank you all for the advice. I am aiming to do the Caerphilly Summits.
Author: Catharine Gregory
Posted: Thu 29th May 2008, 11:46
Local Group: Bristol & West
Hi Trevor,
My advice is to do as many events as possible. It's amazing how much faster you complete 25 miles on an event compared with walking on your own. There are some great events coming up near you, which include the Gower Gallop (30 miles) and the Caerphilly Summits (31 miles). Do read the 'what's your favourite event?' thread for some more ideas.

There aren't many walks between 30 and 50 miles but a background of several 25-30 mile walks is usually sufficient training for a 50. And then you can step up to 100k and, once you've done that, people will start telling you to do 100 miles...

Catharine
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Thu 29th May 2008, 11:11
Local Group: Lakeland
Trevor,
I agree with Roy - you don't need to do lots of very long walks. I rarely do a 30+ mile walk between Hundreds, but I was fortunate to move to Cumbria 4 years ago and I find that the extra strength gained from walking in the fells has greatly improved my general walking stamina. So get out in the Brecons as often as you can.
What Roy doesn't say is that the Hundred he has just completed is his 14th - there is nothing like experience to help you learn how to overcome the inevitable problems you encounter on a very long walk.
Ken Falconer put together some useful tips on the subject and his article can be found in The Library. Go to
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/library/hundredsurvival/hundredsurvival.htm
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Thu 29th May 2008, 10:20
Local Group: High Peak
i'm 49, clinicly obese,have done 2 100s (not this years), no experience of running, been walking since 2000, pace as mentioned earlier is important, a good steady pace always leaves something in reserve, on the northumberland 100 i dldn't need to stop at the last checkpoint and was able to run the last 300 metres (it was downhill) try a few 20+ milers back to back over a weekend
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Thu 29th May 2008, 9:36
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
I'm 67 just done the 100.Never do over 30mls rest of the year. As mentioned, food & drink & maintian a regular pace.Do 25 you can do 100.Enjoy & see you next year on the 100 Alton, Hampshire??? Roy.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 28th May 2008, 22:01
Local Group: Mid Wales
If you can do 25 you can almost certainly do 40, if you want to.

Nutrition and hydration, the importance of these cannot be overemphasised for longer walks/runs. Learn to eat and drink (little and often) all the way round.

I'm sure others will offer plenty of training advice. Matt.
Posted: Wed 28th May 2008, 20:27
Please can anyone give some advice on training/preparation for walks over 25 and up to 40 miles. I have done some walks of 25 miles and fell the need to go futher. I have been walking for 3 years, am 51 years old and have a back ground of running,(have done 4 marathons) but have not run for over 15 years. I live in South Wales so all my long walks include some step climbs.
Thanks in anticpation

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law