Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Bursting blisters.

Author: Stuart Dodson
Posted: Wed 31st Dec 2008, 19:57
Local Group: Lincolnshire
Lots of good advice on here I have tried a good few with success as I seem to trample on a crooked toe that I have ,old footy injury I think.I have recently tried with success some socks with individual toes,i.e glove like?.Got mine in the States, brand Injinjy -have heard you can get similar over here.Saves all the taping and daubing of cream.
Author: Alex White
Posted: Sat 26th Jul 2008, 15:59
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The following is an old army strategy, and it works, though I'm not sure about hygene/infection issues. Thread a needle with a short length of cotton. Sew the needle into the blister and out again, so that the thread exits from the blister in 2 directions. Remove the needle leaving the thread behind to drain away any fluid as it forms. I was taught this on the 2nd Aldermarston March, which I was walking in Hush Puppies. It helped me so much I have never forgotten.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Fri 30th May 2008, 19:57
Local Group: High Peak
where does a gynacologist use superglue? i shudder to think, but they do use dermabond a type of superglue in hospitals for small cuts instead of sutures,
for deep blisters under hard skin it's best to file down and remove as much of the hard skin BEFORE an event so that if one occurs it's easier to drain and treat.
Author: Mike Buckley
Posted: Fri 30th May 2008, 0:47
Local Group: Heart of England
Normally you shouldn't burst 'em, however if they are going to burst - and all but the smallest will if you continue to walk - then open them with a sterile needle, absorb the liquid, and cover with a dressing. Anyone tried superglue to cover their blisters? This was recommended by a consultant gynaecologist I was checkpointing with on the Bala Challenge. Any tips on hard skin blisters?
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Wed 28th May 2008, 18:33
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Used to get various nail blisters & loose them after 100,s,now mostly ok. i file a slope on all my nails so socks/liners don't catch.Toe's liable to blister, wrap with3M Micro-pore,surgical tape.Sometimes smear this with zinc/caster oil cream,used for nappy rash on babies.Does'nt melt or dissperse like vaseline!!Also use 2 pr socks, "THORLO"S LINER&OUTER.First 100 with fabric boots,have one small toe nail blister.Will settle for that
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 28th May 2008, 11:53
Local Group: Merseystride
I had great success this year with a secret mix of Shea Butter and Vaseline. I used brand new Bridgedale cotton liners, new Bridgedale Trek socks and smears of the secret mix between toes and along the sole and heal. I replenished this layer at alternate checkpoints, realigning the socks. I picked up a hot spot at Addingham, which materialised into a 5p coin size blister by the finish, and I'm sure the only reason I got this was because I was too tired to do the foot ritual at Addingham. This was easily the most comfortable 100 I've done yet, despite the terrain. I must add that my Adidas Saunster shoes are wonderfully comfy! Garfield
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 27th May 2008, 17:59
Local Group: Mid Wales
Personally I would keep them drained, especially if they are anywhere on the foot that receives pressure when walking etc. I find a bit of 'sting' from a burst blister far preferable to the constant nagging pain of a full one.
Blisters seem to effect just about everyone at some point, and loads of different ideas for prevention and remedy - as on this thread - soft feet, hard feet, vaseline, powders, wool, socks etc. etc. You will just have to find what suits you best, rather trial and error.
When Jane started walking she suffered terribly and walking became a misery (and constant worry) at times, she now has better prevention and most important the knowledge and confidence of what to do when the first tell-tale signs start. I matter of experience and confidence I guess, persevere. Matt.
Posted: Tue 27th May 2008, 16:23
Thanks Matt, not sure about the pickling of the toenail - Although I will, I'm sure treasure it in some bizarre way. As for the blisters, I have burst them and they have just filled up again - do I have to keep draining them?
Posted: Mon 26th May 2008, 22:14
Burst the blisters to ease the pressure and keep them clean (stick something on them if needed). Don't worry about the toenails - they will drop off but be painless. Humans have the ability to grow new hair and nails ......... errrr, that's about the limit of our regeneration abilities. Might as well make the most of them. Your first lost toenail should be treasured (pickling or setting in resin are good ideas), it makes a novel talking point mounted on your workdesk or at dinner parties.

Welcome to long distance walking, the pleasures will far outweigh the pain, and you will never be lost for something to talk about!! Matt.
Posted: Mon 26th May 2008, 16:31
I am new to LDWA and this forum. As a challenge I have just walked th Isle of Wight coastal path, starting on Thursday and finishing on Sunday. I was horrified to find that my right toe nail is very loose and about to come off and 2 other toe nails are looking very suspect. I also have several blisters which I am very reluctant to burst. Do you think that bursting them now will speed up the healing process and how long will it take for my toe nails to recover. Having read this link I don't think I really do have anything to worry about and my feet certainly do not look as bad as some of the pics!!
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 21:50
Local Group: Merseystride
For another juicy foot foto scroll down this article ...

http://www.runfurther.com/index.php?cPath=535_654&mid=56

Garfield
Posted: Sat 5th Apr 2008, 20:00
Julia, my euphoria didn't kick in until well after I finished, my main feeling was one of relief that I'd actually completed my first 50! Didn't realise I had blisters until later in the afternoon. I think I'd rather have 'cold weather blisters' than 'hot weather blisters' at least cold numbs the pain.Jane
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 5th Apr 2008, 10:47
Local Group: Surrey
Ian: I’m reluctant to burst blisters during a walk, as infection may result. I prefer to put up with the pain and try to reduce the spread of the blister. Of course, I have had many blisters burst during a walk and they never have become infected. But my method takes away the cause of the blister by preventing contact between the shoe and the skin at the blister point.

The best way to avoid blisters is to find a pair of trainers that are fit well, then to walk regularly in them to toughen your feet. Even if this does not prevent blisters entirely, it will at least delay the onset so that you can finish your walk more comfortably.
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Sat 5th Apr 2008, 8:23
Local Group: London
Jane, I always feel euphoric at the end of an event as long and, er, challenging as the Surrey Tops, simply because I've actually finished it instead of wimpily giving up!
As for under-toenail blisters, there's a rather scary-sounding process described in The Runners' Repair Manual which involves a red hot paperclip. It's either that or a visit to the podiatrist, apparently. Trouble is, rather hard to lay hands on either of them when you're crashing around the undergrowth in the middle of nowhere.
Posted: Fri 4th Apr 2008, 23:24
The last post was from Jane, by the way!
Posted: Fri 4th Apr 2008, 23:23
Julie. I remember the mud and madness - where was the euphoria?!!!!! I also lost a toenail. Such fun!!
Posted: Fri 4th Apr 2008, 16:25
If I remember rightly this came up on the fell runners site. I think you get a piece of wire (needle?) red hot over a flame, and stick it through the nail.

But I may have dreamt this remedy, in which case don't blame me if you have to be scraped off the ceiling in excruciating pain.

Good luck. Matt.
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Fri 4th Apr 2008, 7:32
Local Group: London
I get blisters under my left big toenail (which I seem to lose after every 50, and which can be really uncomfortable and inflamed, expecially afterwards - tend not to notice during the adrenalin-fuelled fun of the event itself!). Regrew a nice toenail after the Poppyline 50, only for the mud, madness and euphoria of the Surrey Tops to do its work. Is there any way of bursting sub-toenail blisters?
Posted: Thu 3rd Apr 2008, 20:45
elton
it's the pressure of the liquid in the blister which causes the pain, have you thought of bursting the blister and applying the zinc oxcide tape over the blister with some gauze between the tape and blister?

i use scissors and cut the blister open this creates a v shaped cut which doesn't close up so easily
Posted: Tue 1st Apr 2008, 21:24
Now that's interesting. I got no blisters on the Surrey Tops at all, and thought that maybe the pervasive mud was acting as a lubricant!
Posted: Tue 1st Apr 2008, 20:41
Really interesting how many different methods and theories on blister treatment and prevention there are, obviously all work and there is no 'best method'.

I think the weekends 'Surrey Tops' provided some excellent conditions for blister growth, Jane has a proud selection on both feet!!
Posted: Tue 1st Apr 2008, 20:20
A scalpel, slicing the blister and applying terracortril cream? Sounds really serious stuff, major blister surgery, Rebecca.

Not being in the medical field, I’m too nervous to whip out a sharp surgical instrument and ruthlessly hack away the offending area, so try other methods. Bearing in mind that most surface (as opposed to deepseated) blisters are caused by friction, I’ve tried preventing the friction. I’ve found that lubricants such as cocoa butter and Vaseline lose their effectiveness after a while as they spread away from the friction area.

The most effective method I’ve found is to prevent the shoe touching the skin in the blister area. I do this by tearing off strips of zinc oxide tape half an inch wide and placing them in a # pattern so that the blister is in the middle. I put on three or four layers, and this is enough to lift the shoe’s inner and prevent it touching the blistered area. This method works most effectively when the blister is still small.

Zinc oxide tape is really useful – I use it for shoe repairs as well as foot repairs.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 31st Mar 2008, 15:31
Local Group: Marches
Blisters have always been my biggest problem. I had to pull out of the poppyline 50 once and also the dorset giant due to them.

I am a great believer that preparation is the key. I know where the blisters normally form and now put a blister plaster on the problem areas before I even start to walk and then bind with zinc oxide tape (the plaster will become dislodged after a few miles without the tape).

I then cover my whole foot (including the plastered area) in vaseline. I find that vaseline actually helps keep the tape in place as it makes it slippery and stops your sock rubbing on the plaster and peeling it off.

If I do get a blister I now carry a scalpal and slice the area as I used to find using a pin not sufficient as the blister can reclose and refill with fluid. I then use some teracortrol cream on the area to help with infection.
Posted: Mon 31st Mar 2008, 12:24
I’ve just started running some events: or jogging rather – walking the uphills, jogging the flats and downhills - and find I can do 40 miles with no blisters at all. On a walk they will start coming at 25 miles. On the downside my toes get a bit hammered, which I can live with, and the balls of my feet begin to feel bruised, which could be crippling on a distance over 50 miles. Perhaps the solution is to change walking style to emulate running: short, quick steps. Maybe those 4 mph walkers have the secret after all.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 19th Mar 2008, 17:45
Not sure about pineapple! I had a look through the rest of the photos - it is still in there! later on. Some really cracking photos (apart from the one!). Did it bring back memories?
Posted: Tue 18th Mar 2008, 10:50
Are you refering to the infamous 'pineapple chunks' episode ?
Posted: Mon 17th Mar 2008, 22:32
Matt - Looks nasty! (Distinct improvement on the previous revolting photo of you though!)
Posted: Sun 16th Mar 2008, 21:25
Ahhhh, I see now.
Thanks Tony. Matt.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sat 15th Mar 2008, 22:48
Local Group: Lakeland
Matt,
You need to use the extras from "Formatting posts using BBCode" the link to which comes up when you write a new posting. You can do all sorts of clever things. Your website address then comes out as you wanted.
http://picasaweb.google.com/2docsand3frocks/DragonsBack2007/photo?authkey=UUCW33XtwkM#5064912656101422482
Posted: Sat 15th Mar 2008, 18:25
Why doesn't that come up as a direct link?
Posted: Sat 15th Mar 2008, 18:24
That is an excellent site, some very serious blisters featured there !! And some good info and tips.

This was mine, http://picasaweb.google.com/2docsand3frocks/DragonsBack2007/photo?authkey=UUCW33XtwkM#5064912656101422482

Though I hasten to add that there were others just as big on both feet, but they had already burst. Matt.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Fri 14th Mar 2008, 22:51
Local Group: Lakeland
Now go to http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=634
for some interesting examples of blisters on which to practise these techniques.
Posted: Fri 14th Mar 2008, 22:18
Blimey Ian - that sounds a bit scientific. Makes sense, but I'm not sure I could cope with working out where to put the hole mid-walk/run!
Posted: Fri 14th Mar 2008, 12:05
when bursting a blister remember to burst the blister in such a way so that the natural placement of the foot will push any liquid out of the blister and drain it whilst walking so if it's on the ball of your foot make a hole towards the toes so that when your foot goes down the liquid is forced out and not trapped causing pain
as for sterilisation use friars balsam around the blister try not to get it in the blister (ouch) this will also help the covering to adhere better, or use any antiseptic cream, though plasters may not stick
Author: Steve Clark
Posted: Fri 14th Mar 2008, 3:26
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
What about the good old sewing needle out of a sewing kit, carry a box of matches or a lighter as well and if you need to burst a blister put a flame under the needle to kill any urgly gurgleys and walla, a sterile needle to burst your blisters.
Author: Keith Bassitt
Posted: Thu 13th Mar 2008, 21:55
Local Group: The Irregulars
I commend your GP friend on his field surgery techniques.
Like me he probably felt that the sterility of any chosen implement is irrelevent given all the microbiological life likely to be roaming around in an LDWA members footwear anyway!
Posted: Thu 13th Mar 2008, 21:42
I rarely suffer from them, but on last years Dragons Back I had a couple of monsters (very hot weather). I wanted to burst them before applying compeed or whatever.

So what should I carry and use in such emergencies? As it was, Allan (a GP by trade) used his rather filthy swiss army knife ..... and I'm still alive with 2 legs, so no harm done.

I thought today of buying a couple of sterile needles to carry in my first aid, asked at Boots and they treated me like a local drug addict; absolutely nothing available.

Any suggestions for where to acquire a sterile needle, not a syringe needle (hollow) just a bog standard 'jabbing job'?

Or alternative suggestions? Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law