Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Platypus drinking tubes

Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Wed 23rd Jul 2008, 21:55
Local Group: High Peak
the seam on my platypus by the neck started to go, i sent it back via the shop i got it from and i recieved a new one back including new tube and valve, thanks to their lifetime guarantee
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Tue 22nd Jul 2008, 23:11
Local Group: Merseystride
If I was more disciplined, and had more space in the kitchen to hang dripping things and whirl tubes around, I would definitely go for the "clean and dry thoroughly then store at room temperature" approach.

However, I tend to forget all about bladders and tubes until at least the Monday evening following the weekend, then realise with horror that small black things are already visible, gratefully chomping away on the remains of the weekend's energy drink...

At that point things get rinsed and refilled and sterilising tablets get popped in, but because I'm easily distracted (and don't have space for hanging drippy things) the bladders then get a quick shake & a superficial dry, before being bunged straight in the freezer - much to the disgust of any small black things which may remain, but so far without ill effects to me. It's entirely my own fault either way, but I suspect I'll be replacing my bladder because the colony of small black things is getting too large to ignore quite some time before the freeze-thaw effect finally knackers the seams.

But I'll post again if I turn out to be wrong on that!

[Helen Southall]
Author: Janet Whiteman
Posted: Fri 18th Jul 2008, 16:36
Local Group: Surrey
After the walk, I empty the platypus completely, disconnect the tube and mouth piece, I turn the bag upsidedown and hang it with a clothes peg at an angle so that all water drips out and natually dries. The tube is taken into the garden and swung round and round at great force and this gets all the water out by centrifugal force. If the tube has become grottie then a soak in Milton cleans and sterilizes in one go, rince well and again swing the tube round and round in the garden or open air. It gets the tube completely dry, then I store ready for use again, no need to freeze, you will only shorten the life of the plastic which does not like being frozen.
Posted: Thu 6th Mar 2008, 21:29
oops miss read geoffs last post, got the "it is" the wrong way round
Posted: Thu 6th Mar 2008, 10:31
it's good enough for babies and their immature immunne system
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Mon 3rd Mar 2008, 22:44
Thanks for the advice folks. I hadn't thought of Milton but it is really effective. A couple of hours soak and the tube is fresh and clean again.
Posted: Sat 23rd Feb 2008, 18:59
soak in milton, then roll up and store in freezer
to clean out the tube with a cloth you need a 'mouse' such as a darning needle threaded with cotton which is tied to the cloth use the darning needle as a weight to thread the cotton through the tube, pull the cotton through and the cloth will follow
Posted: Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 22:27
Keeps the gut clean as well Matt. I preffer Teso drink Bottles for short trips, less soap residue.
David H
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 22:04
Local Group: Mid Wales
I now use an old fairy liquid bottle to carry my water in. It's great - and clean. Matt.
Posted: Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 16:48
I let mine get horrible, then leave it out for the wife to see, she looks at it mutters some thing about walkers and disgust. Then the next day it is on the table sparkling clean and looking like new.
David H
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 16:31
Local Group: East Lancashire
I use Milton to soak the bottle and tube, then I have a long flexi bottle brush to clean the inside of the tube, finish with a rinse, and Bob's your 5 new p.
Author: John Knight
Posted: Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 13:00
Local Group: Anytime Anywhere
I soak mine now and then in sterilising fluid. Failing that, scrape off what you can with a knitting needle!

John
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 11:49
Does anyone have a good way of keeping these clean? All mine develop black stains inside the tube after just a few uses. Bi-carb is supposed to help clean them but it doesn't!

Geoff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law