Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - 6 Dales Circuit

Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Thu 15th Nov 2007, 12:38
Local Group: South Manchester
I hope you're fully recovered soon and back on the walks, Ian.

Talking of reversed route, I preferred the old direction because the sun, when it's out, is behind us. The current way round, we get blinded (IF it's out) and can't see much at all. Yes, we have had some sunny ones.

The weather wasn't THAT bad this year - only scattered drizzle showers blowing in the wind that weren't really bad enough to warrant waterproofs. At least the wind was mostly behind us, and we can't often say that.

I managed to bag a fastest time as well, in 8 completions. It must have been that tail wind.

Nick.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Wed 14th Nov 2007, 11:43
Local Group: High Peak
If I remember correctly, 3 years ago when the route went clockwise, there was a shorter route don't know how long but the turn off point was Hartingdon.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Wed 14th Nov 2007, 9:02
Local Group: High Peak
I have to agree with Nicholas and Garfield, i wouldn't miss this event for anything except when i'm recovering from back surgery, and a shorter route would have been ideal for me, although i don't want surgery every year.It may not be fesible to have a shorter route but this is a great event and one i have sorely missed.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 13th Nov 2007, 22:02
Local Group: Heart of England
Absolutely brilliant! A thoroughly enjoyable event, despite the grisly weather, and amazingly we managed a best time too. Fantastic food and we saw lots of friends, so very sociable too. Thank you so much to all the organisers, marshalls and helpers.
Posted: Tue 13th Nov 2007, 16:00
I agree...in fact ,apart from the scenery the event is worth doing for the food alone,especially the hot oatcakes at Monyash---I'm trying to find a baker who will supply down south.Many thanks Staffs LDWA,I hope to see you again next year.
Keith White
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Tue 13th Nov 2007, 14:24
Local Group: Merseystride
Yes, an excellent event. Treacherous underfoot in places and the final approach up Biggin Dale was hard work for tired legs, but elsewhere a good, quick route. Given the conditions I'm amazed I managed my best time for this event.

Good food at checkpoints and wonderful team spirit. This is one of the classic LDWA events.

It would be nice to see a 15-17 mile option for those who find 25 miles on a short day a bit much.

Thanks Keith & everyone.
Garfield
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Tue 13th Nov 2007, 13:05
Local Group: South Manchester
Hear-hear. This is one of my many favourites, one that I return to every year. I wouldn't miss it for anything.
Although it was quite wet underfoot from recent rain, some of the rivers in the dales were as low as I have seen them. The shooters just after CP1 at Middleton were standing next to stagnant water. (I was thankful for silent guns and no dead birds descending on my head when I passed them.)

Nick Ham. 19655
Posted: Mon 12th Nov 2007, 20:30
An excellent day out. A bit wet, windy and muddy but the beauty of this event is that you get shelter in the dales.
As usual the catering was first class. Thanks to all marshals and helpers.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law