Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Walking record?

Author: Andy Griffin
Posted: Wed 26th Sep 2007, 21:06
Local Group: East Lancashire
The leggers must have been made of stern stuff too. The tunnel is about 3.25 miles long and took up to four hours to get through.Lying on your back with only candles for light. I bet your whole body ached after that. If you visit www.penninewaterways.co.uk it gives you the history of this tunnel. It says the Canal company had to bring in a traffic control system where boats went east to west for four hours then west to east for four hours to stop fights in the tunnel. Funnily enough two hundred years after it opened this is still how they get boats through but now due to the health and safety boats are towed through tied together using electric tugs.
Author: Catharine Gregory
Posted: Wed 26th Sep 2007, 19:05
Local Group: Bristol & West
Sandra and Richard Brown must have clocked up a fair few miles between them. Sandra has done the Centurion race more times and in more countries than anyone else and, until recently, held the women's LEJOG record, as well as competing in all sorts of ultra races.
Catharine
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 26th Sep 2007, 18:17
Local Group: Lakeland
Ignore my comment on ascent to distance ratio, should have read Elton's post more carefully. He went over, not through, in which case he can probably claim the ascent as well as the distance record. Not sure which route he followed but it looks as if he climbed around 700 feet on each trip. If he really did do the trip 4 times a day for 40 years, then he climbed around 40 million feet, getting on for 8,000 miles. Even John Merrill can't get close to that.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 26th Sep 2007, 8:48
Local Group: Lakeland
John Merrill claims 182,000 miles in 33 years on his website. I believe William Wordsworth walked almost every day and a 20 mile walk in the Lake District fells was not unusual, but I haven't found any comment on his total mileage. Thomas Bourne probably has one record that will not be matched - the lowest ratio of height gain to distance walked!
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 24th Sep 2007, 18:38
Local Group: Surrey
Thomas Bourne of Marsden walked barge horses from 1811 to 1852 over Stanedge on the Huddersfield canal while the bargemen legged their barges through Stanedge tunnel. From the age of 11, reputedly walking four times a day between Marsden and Diggle for 40 years, he covered 215, 852 miles. Is this a record?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law