Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - smelly boots

Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Thu 6th Sep 2007, 13:03
I was once convinced (wrongly) that a tom cat had peed in a pair of Salomon suede/fabric boots I'd left to dry in the garage. It turned out that the worst smell was from the insoles. Subsequent boots from the same manufacturer also had insoles that ponged after getting wet, although it could just have been my feet!
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Thu 6th Sep 2007, 12:34
Local Group: South Manchester
It's that which makes shoes smell, isn't it?
I find that different shoes have different smells of different intensities, depending on what they're made of.
Nick.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Wed 5th Sep 2007, 20:12
Local Group: Heart of England
The acidic water in peaty areas is good.
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Wed 5th Sep 2007, 18:53
Local Group: London
Not sure what it would do to the suede but soaking smelly trainers in a bucket of Dettox/Dettol solution works well.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Wed 5th Sep 2007, 16:54
Local Group: East Lancashire
I suggest a good wash! Inside and out, rinse and air dry.
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Wed 5th Sep 2007, 10:58
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
The daughter of a colleague returned from a day's walking with very wet boots - suede uppers. The boots have dried out now, but they stink. Any suggestions?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law