Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - GPS going crazy in the Alps

Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Mon 30th Jul 2007, 9:20
Local Group: Kent
>> Probably it was unable to find enough satellites. I think it requires 4 to work out horizontal position(s) but 6 to work out vertical position(s) and in deep, narrow valleys the number of available satellites is likely to be greatly reduced. <<
My GPS (Garmin ForeTrex 201) shows only 4 satellites but usually the altitude it gives is pretty accurate. When this happened, we were not in a narrow valley and it was getting the 4 satellites.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 22nd Jul 2007, 22:00
Local Group: Mid Wales
Blame the Americans, bound to be their fault!! Matt.
Author: Ian & Pauline Charters
Posted: Sun 22nd Jul 2007, 18:24
Local Group: Lakeland
Probably it was unable to find enough satellites. I think it requires 4 to work out horizontal position(s) but 6 to work out vertical position(s) and in deep, narrow valleys the number of available satellites is likely to be greatly reduced.
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Fri 20th Jul 2007, 15:41
Local Group: Northumbria
Altitude sickness?
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Fri 20th Jul 2007, 15:00
Local Group: Kent
I have used the Garmin Foretrex 201 for over a year. Last Sunday, we were hiking around 3,000m (10,000) feet and the altitude on the GPS suddenly started increasing by about 1m/sec. I stopped the GPS and turned it on again and it fixed the problem. BTW yesterday we climbed over 12,300ft and it worked without any problem therefore it is not always crazy in high altitude. Any idea of what could have happened?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law