Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Durham Dales Challenge 2007

Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 25th Jun 2007, 16:35
Local Group: Merseystride
Given the weather forecast of heavy rain for most of the day, it was a miracle that the event stayed dry for almost it's full duration of 24 hours. In all other respects, however, the weather won. The last few weeks of unending rain meant the moors were saturated and the streams were turned into torrents to be waded through. Grass and foliage had grown to such an extent that paths had disappeared and heather really had to be bashed through to gain any progress. One later path had shoulder-high bracken completely enclosing the route. All this contributed to a most confusing night-section on the 52-mile route - a few more gridrefs on the route description would have helped here.

However, from an event point of view this was a great success. 200+ entrants enjoyed the enthusiastic hospitality of the Northumberland group and the checkpoint staff were friendly and helpful. The route was wonderful, crossing a series of high moorland plateaus with long roaming views. During the night the Tyneside glow reflected off the cloud and shimmered in the surface of the reservoirs. I finished just as the dawn chorus started-up. A tough and demanding walk but great countryside.

Well done everyone, and special thanks to Chris & John for that extra touch!
Garfield
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sun 24th Jun 2007, 20:32
Local Group: Northumbria
I have a small number of items of lost property from the event.

You also a have a few days still to order Durham Dales Challenge tee shirts in navy blue at £8 each.

Contact me on mike@rayner77.freeserve.co.uk
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Sun 24th Jun 2007, 11:58
Local Group: Northumbria
Results are online at:

www.walknortheast.org.uk

Congratulations to the 200+ walkers and runners who braved the elements and made it round the 16, 28 or 52 mile route.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law