Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Malvern Midsummer Marathon

Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2007, 23:05
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Catharine I think the hills you crammed in anyway were quite enough! A very enjoyable event,some beautiful scenery and friendly staff at checkpoints.
Posted: Mon 16th Jul 2007, 16:40
I've only just seen these comments and would like to say thanks on behalf of Bristol & West. Really glad to know you all enjoyed the event. Yes, there were a few more hills (especially if you did the 25 mile route) - in fact we would be hard pushed to cram any more in but you never know...

Thanks for all your support. Hope to see you all back next year!
Catharine
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Mon 25th Jun 2007, 21:39
Local Group: Heart of England
I reckon the stiffness is caused by the relatively large number of steep ascents and descents in a relatively short distance. On the 100 there was a long 'cool-down' time, as the second half was flatter (well, sort of!) and as the pace slows, the lactic acid gets washed out of the legs. (The rain did a pretty good job of that too!).
It is the steep descents which cause most of the muscle soreness, as the quadriceps muscles have to work much harder when braking going downhill.
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Mon 25th Jun 2007, 17:49
Local Group: High Peak
I can only echo previous comments - an excellent event!! We are also still very stiff and, in the case of Geoff, stiffer than after the 100. Odd innit?
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sun 24th Jun 2007, 17:06
Local Group: Marches
Well done Bristol and West on another excellent event. Is it me or was it harder than on previous years? I certainly feel more tired today than I did after the 100, or is age creeping up?
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Sun 24th Jun 2007, 11:35
Local Group: Heart of England
Thanks very much to all the organisers, marshalls and helpers for this wonderful event. Especially Richard, who carried all the oranges to the top of Midsummer Hill!
We thoroughly enjoyed the new route - relieved that the 'stinger' field was no longer there! Bromesberrow estate was a joy with the black swans on the lake (and Daisy enjoyed a swim too) and Castlemorton Common was a welcome flat interlude and much prettier than it appeared on the map. We like the fact that we could start on our own and not have the stress of an entourage, who can't navigate, even with the excellent route description.
The hills never get any easier, but the views were amazing and we saw several buzzards circling around. Underfoot was drier than expected and we only had one short heavy shower on British Camp. In fact, the sun even made an appearance now and again. The rollercoaster at the end is always several stings in the tail!
Refreshments at the checkpoints were great, especially the jelly and the fudge - yummy! Thanks very much for the beautiful certificates too - an excellent reminder of all those hills and a great sense of achievement in climbing them all.
Definitely an event to be recommended.
Posted: Sun 24th Jun 2007, 11:04
I agree - thanks Bristol and West for such an enjoyable event. The most memorable part was the 4-hill finish!
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Sat 23rd Jun 2007, 23:26
Local Group: South Wales
Just returned from this event. Brilliant organisation, friendly checkpoint volunteers, excellent refreshments, route description first class. A relaxed and friendly atmosphere throughout the day from all participants. Even the weather was kind to us.

Well done, Bristol & West - great event.

John.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law