Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - WATERPROOF (OR NOT!!) ON THE 100??

Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Sun 29th Jul 2007, 18:19
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Dry&Warm,ParamoVelezSmock all day sunday across moor and down to reservior check point in driving rain.Did,nt have overtrousers on at this time,RonHill tracksters legs feet wetthrough,Put on Berghaus overtrousers here and dried out by next checkpoint walked through to finish 10PM sunday.Paramo is brilliant for bad weather non rustle warm and flexible. The smock is lighter than the cascada jacket roy turner 10396 29/07/07
Author: Avril E Stapleton
Posted: Sun 17th Jun 2007, 7:56
Local Group: Surrey
Rebecca I stayed dry and was out there some 47hrs! I wore a Berghaus Paclite Trek waterproof over a thin fleece and thin thermal leggings under waterproof trousers. The fleece and thin leggings were put on at the first nightfall - and on this hundred never removed! At the finish the waterproofs were a bit damp inside but the fleece and thermal leggings kept any dampness off me. Try it but I guess it relies on it being cold enough to need extra clothing under the waterproofs.
Author: Geoff Deighton
Posted: Fri 1st Jun 2007, 23:36
Local Group: High Peak
Amazed you could stay awake long enough to down 5 pints of Guinness after a 100; I'd have been asleep after a couple. Maybe you should switch to real ale! - Geoff
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Thu 31st May 2007, 12:34
Local Group: South Manchester
I used a Salomon Paclite Goretex top with taped seams. I remained dry throughout. It's very light and rolls up into a little sausage that tucks into its own hood - brilliant for runners. It kept the wind out very well, so I remained warm, even on the exposed moors above the Elan Valley. I didn't bother with waterproof trousers because the rain wasn't heavy enough.
Nick.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Wed 30th May 2007, 20:20
Local Group: Heart of England
I have Mountain Equipment smock top and Craghoppers trousers, both with taped seams. I was perfectly dry underneath on removing them at the end. Actually, I was really pleased and surprised by this as they are both several years old and have seen quite a bit of 'service', so I shall trust them for a bit longer.
With waterproofs, I have found that, up to a point, the more you pay, the better the quality and the drier they keep you.
Posted: Wed 30th May 2007, 18:21
My waterproofs leaked loads too. Luckily, my sister was on standby with a full change of clothes - my spare jumper simply wasn't enough! If anyone can recommend something that worked then I'd like to know what it was!

Can't answer the Guinness question but it's quite interesting!
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 29th May 2007, 17:43
Local Group: Marches
Having experienced the weather on this years 100, it became very clear that some peoples so called 'waterproofs' started to leak. I was quite lucky as mine was ok - I had a Gortex Berghaus Mera Peak, but my partner had a gortex which started to leak at the seams across the back. My waterproof trousers leaked but luckily I had a support and was able to change them. What were other peoples experience and did anyone stay perfectly dry and warm?

Also, on a different note can anyone tell me why I was able to consume 5 pints of guiness and still be as sober as a judge on the night after finishing the 100? I didn't feel in the slightest bit pickled. A friend of mine suggested it is because your metabolism is racing after such an extreme event that your body just grabs the calories and the alcohol hardle enters your blood stream. Quite interesting, and I'm sure I'll research it again next year!!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law