Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Dorset Giant

Author: Chris Boden
Posted: Wed 16th May 2007, 11:38
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Ah-hah! Looks like the results are finally up on the website (http://www.btinternet.com/~hardy.annual/results.htm). I was a bit disappointed not to break 20 hrs, but at least I made the top 50 (just) - progress!

Otherwise, not much to add to the general chorus of praise - I've come to expect high standards from the SW Triple events, and this was certainly no exception. Other than that, I expect the reason they fill up whilst others struggle (AFi2D, Three Forests) or die (Sussex Stride) is that they're perfectly timed for the 100; close enough that you retain most of the stamina gained, but not so close that you have to worry about carrying over injuries (like the Fellsman).

Again, many thanks to everyone involved.
Author: Julian Brown
Posted: Wed 2nd May 2007, 14:03
Local Group: Staffordshire
We can only echo everyone else's comments really, a grand weekend out, and many thanks to all the organisers and helpers. It's a long way from Derbyshire to Dorset but well worth it. I can't remember whether Dorset are still organising a future hundred but if they do I bet it'll be a good one.

Interesting to contemplate why the Giant was full with over 200 takers, when, not too long ago, several long events 'down south' passed into history, in part at least due to not enough entrants. Any thoughts ?
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 20:47
Local Group: Heart of England
Fantastic event. Really enjoyable. A massive thank you to all the organisers, marshalls and helpers. Everyone has said it already, but the views were really spectacular, the route varied and interesting, the route description accurate and easy to follow, the food and drink at the checkpoints superb and exactly what was required at every stage. Everyone was really friendly, encouraging and helpful. We could not have wished for a better weekend. Thank you again.

However, I am still dreaming of 'metal field gates'!!!
Posted: Tue 1st May 2007, 11:24
Thank you Dorset & Cornwall (and our other kind hosts who didn't have labels!). The route was beautiful extremely well devised. And never have I eaten so much in a 24-hour period!
Author: Steve Jelfs
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2007, 16:33
Local Group: Heart of England
great event ,from friday night get in the saturday breakfast was to die for (pre booked ) the walk was brilliant route description great, every check point well staffed breakfast at end tasted even better than saturdays well done to all the people who must have put a lot of time in to make this event so brilliant well done dorset ldwa
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2007, 14:48
Local Group: Marches
Thank you for an amazing event - well organised, spectacular scenery, good food - what walking is all about.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2007, 14:36
Local Group: Surrey
A wonderful Spring walk. Tumuli, hillforts and grand views on the hilltops, bluebells and the scent of wild garlic on the slopes, lush green meadows with bleating lambs and cows trying to outstare walkers in the valleys. Cuckoos calling in the evening and a warblers’ chorus (or was that territorial squabbling?) at dawn. Hot meal at Frampton (delicious, just what was needed after 35 miles).

By Broadmayne (54 miles) limps were becoming more pronounced, by Osmington (57.5 miles) they had become hobbles. Gentle stroll over the last few miles? No, this was Dorset’s grand finale: White Horse Hill, with glorious views and a last taste of Dorset prehistory – as well as a wind to chill the bones.

Thank you Dorset for a great Challenge, and thanks to the other groups manning (actually mostly womanning) the check points.
Posted: Mon 30th Apr 2007, 10:19
Have to agree the organisation was brilliant. Checkpoints were well spaced and route description was word perfect, didn't use the map once. Checkpoints had ample refreshments available, with much needed hot meals and soup in the night. Enjoyed the route and to add to it weather was good as well. Thanks to everyone involved.
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Sun 29th Apr 2007, 17:08
Local Group: Surrey
I don't want to rub it in for those who didn't get on this event, but it was a cracking day/night out. Wonderful views, bluebell woods, challenging route, superb checkpoints. After 2004 I shouldn't really mention the weather, but it was very, very hot yesterday.

Thanks to John, Jenny and Lindsey for their company early on, and to Lindsey, Rob, Sian, and Roger through the night.

And, most importantly, thanks to all in the Dorset Group who worked so hard to make this such a great event.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law