Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - fellsman 2007

Posted: Sat 2nd Jun 2007, 23:58
Fourteenth time on the Fellsman, and the weather always seems to be awful. Coming off Whernside in the pouring rain (having faffed about trying to find the missing stile) makes you think, "what the hell am I doing ? There must be easier ways of spending a weekend".

I managed to nurse my injured ankle round in 19:02 (a PB) and was delighted to get to Cray before being grouped. Getting over Fleet Moss (following the southerly wall route) and Middle Tongue in daylight is a real bonus.

I keep saying 'never again', but maybe after 20....
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Tue 15th May 2007, 12:55
Local Group: South Manchester
Well done Roger with your completion in those conditions. For me, the dampness underfoot and from above, on occasion, made it the toughest in the four times I have done it. I still managed a PB, with 18:44, though don't ask me how I managed that, because I must have added an hour with navigational errors. That missing stile coming off Whernside caused the first error. I think most were caught out by that one.
Wasn't the sunshine on Saturday afternoon glorious, though. It always sunshines at Dent no matter what it's been doing elsewhere.
Well done to everyone else who completed it or made a good stab at completing it. The Fellsman has to be the toughest event of the year.
Nick Ham 19655.
Posted: Mon 14th May 2007, 21:56
christ......... that was hard work.

thanks for the advice. managed to get over fleet moss in day light. the last 25 miles was alot tougher than i expected under foot. managed 23 hours something. was hoping for a bit quicker but the bogs put up a good fight.
Posted: Thu 26th Apr 2007, 19:46
well.. ran the 3 peaks yesterday, went really well 5.30 reminded me how tough the terrain is up there though.

still looking forward to it though.
Posted: Fri 20th Apr 2007, 19:04
thanks guys. cant wait for this one just praying for good weather and sunshine well into the evening.
will be up on fleet moss next weekend hopefully gaining confidence.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Fri 20th Apr 2007, 12:58
Local Group: South Manchester
Grouping really is the luck of the draw. I was very lucky the last time I did it in 2005 (I'm doing it again this year). I got grouped at Cray with a fabulous group who knew where they were going. We all agreed on navigation and it went almost without a hitch. The grouping lottery and beating the Fleet Moss cut-off are the things that make me most nervous about the Fellsman. Being able to see your way past Middle Tongue to Stake Moss is a big bonus.
Nick Ham 19655
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Thu 19th Apr 2007, 23:05
Local Group: Merseystride
Ah! The Fellsman. What memories. You really have to move to get to Fleet Moss before grouping kicks in. But don't get me started on grouping - it ruined at least three Fellsmans because the other members wanted to either stop for ages at each checkpoint, or kept stopping to adjust garments etc. Very frustrating, for this (otherwise) is a connoisseur's event. Garfield
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Thu 19th Apr 2007, 10:37
I didn't actually post the previous message 3 times! My computer froze at the crucial moment.
Posted: Thu 19th Apr 2007, 10:36
If it's dark when you get to Fleet Moss, it's usually easier to follow the wall on the right when you set off, rather than the direct route. Also, when you get to Cray, don't be tempted to sit in the tent with a heater, as it's not conducive to standing up again!! Enjoy it.
If it's dark when you get to Fleet Moss, it's usually easier to follow the wall on the right when you set off, rather than the direct route. Also, when you get to Cray, don't be tempted to sit in the tent with a heater, as it's not conducive to standing up again!! Enjoy it.
Author: John King
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2007, 22:02
Depends on your goals but if you are going for a time a good recce of fleet moss would be a good plan, as would be getting there before the cut off time for grouping, there is nothing worse than getting grouped with folk that do not share your goals, and then spending the night crossing Fleet moss with them.

Just be well prepared in every way and enjoy, its a great event.

Enjoy
John
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2007, 21:34
this will be my second fellsman. last year was a bit poorly / tired / beaten / demoralised and didnt complete it. swore i would never try again but here i am.

any tips from your wealth of experience would be gratefully received. (i learned last year not to opt for sleeping in the school gym.)

ta

roger

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law