Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Ankle Rub?

Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Thu 16th Aug 2007, 22:06
Local Group: High Peak
if you get the rash in winter i would doubt it being grass pollen allergy.

cellulitis is a bacterial infection which affects the deeper layers of the skin usually occurs around broken skin so if you wear shorts change to trousers
Posted: Wed 15th Aug 2007, 15:05
Have just been reading the replies for ankle rub. I was hoping for some advice. I get an annoying rash inside my socks when I walk - a pharmacist told me it was a grass pollen allergy. Any ideas? Also the two times I have done a long distance path I have ended up with extremely painful legs (which one doctor said was cellulitis)> Not sure if the two things are connected?
Posted: Tue 24th Apr 2007, 1:11
i used sudocreme on last years 100 just one application and didn't need to re apply
good stuff
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Mon 23rd Apr 2007, 22:10
Local Group: Heart of England
To get back to the original topic of the thread, I would recommend sudocrem as the best preventative cream for all areas of rubbing or chafing. It does not disappear when hot and sweaty and will remain protecting your skin for many hours without need for further application. I use it on every event and it works every time. It also makes excellent sunblock, especially when your lip salve melts away.

I haven't tried sudocrem on ticks, but vaseline does work well and they're easy to remove after only about 10 minutes of suffocation time.
Posted: Sat 21st Apr 2007, 23:07
we use methalayted spirit when the dog gets them, never had one myself tho
Posted: Sat 21st Apr 2007, 20:43
Sue I preffer 3 or 4 large measures of Grants pored down the gullet and after that I am in no fit state to aim Joss Sticks,(or anything else) though if there were any in the house I would probably try to smoke them.
David H
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sat 21st Apr 2007, 20:10
Local Group: Northumbria
There is a tick alert item in LDWA news, but Vaseline and Badger Balm don't get a mention.
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Fri 20th Apr 2007, 12:55
Badger balm also works on ticks, although I find a well-aimed lighted joss stick also works wonders! My only badger encounter was one trapped in a snare which I encountered on Fleet Moss and released, (with the aid of a fleece jacket over its snout, as it was understandably aggressive). I remember having to wash the jacket twice, as it acquired a very badgery pong!!
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Thu 19th Apr 2007, 19:02
Local Group: Northumbria
Smearing vaseline on ticks is the correct treatment for getting them to let go, so that's two uses for the same jar! I don't know if badger balm has the same effect on badgers though.
Author: John King
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2007, 21:35
Hope you did not literary dig them out Paul.
Author: Paul Burgess
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2007, 19:04
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Thankyou all for your responses. I will give each idea a go even yours John because I do have a pair of Brasher Traklite shoes which I`m gradually breaking in.
I suppose I shouldn`t worry too much about the rash because after Sunday`s Chagford Challenge I have just "dug" 3 ticks out of my legs!
Thanks again though.
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2007, 13:12
I've occasionally had an ankle/rub rash, which can be caused by socks (worn with trainers) as well as boots, and have similarly found that lighter socks work better. I also use 'Badger foot balm' (a bit like vaseline) or 'Badger healing balm' (actually designed for hands!) as a preventative for both ankle rub and for heel or ball-of-foot blisters.
Author: Chris Pitt
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2007, 12:56
Local Group: Dorset
I think with feet its finding what works for you. I walk in brasher boots and have suffered in the past from a heat type rash around the ankle. I have tried different socks but found that Thorlo light hiking with a liner sock works for me. On longer walks I try and change socks about every 30 miles. I also wash walking clothing & socks with soap flakes.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Wed 18th Apr 2007, 0:15
Local Group: East Lancashire
Try a smear of nappy rash cream or Vaseline. It may well be a sweat rash. Put it on before rather than after your days walk.
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 17th Apr 2007, 20:14
This is probably not what you want to hear but i ditched walking boots years ago in favour of, off road running shoes, which i use happily on all distances even on multi day walks ie west coast to east coast of Scotland both high and low level routes.

Off road running shoes work for me.

Good luck
John
Author: Paul Burgess
Posted: Mon 16th Apr 2007, 20:05
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Does anybody know how I can stop my ankles getting sore after a days walk? I wear Brasher boots and the inside tops of my ankles always end up with a rash having rubbed up against socks/boots.
Any help would be appreciated as my wife is getting fed up with me pinching her body lotions!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law