Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Trail litter

Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Mon 19th Mar 2007, 19:31
Local Group: Heart of England
The very worst experience that I have had regarding farm detritus was walking across a field strewn with chicken excrement, chicken parts, lots of feet and even whole chickens, but strangely no heads at all. Perhaps the heads have some sort of identification on them. The stench was indescribable and the slimy dead remains stuck on my shoes were the stuff of nightmares. My dog didn't know whether to eat the mess or to roll in it - disgusting. Even worse, I was leading a group of young people on a D of E training walk. They were shocked and disgusted too and it certainly did nothing to endear them to the countryside.
Interestingly, we walked past the same field a couple of hours later and the farmer was busy ploughing the macabre evidence into the soil. Surely this practice is illegal, especially with the problem of chicken faeces and bird flu. One wonders how many of the fields that we walk in have the same treatment.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Fri 16th Mar 2007, 18:31
Local Group: East Lancashire
Farmers, don't get me started. I remember when Open Access was being debated in The House, the Tory spokesman was saying that "The Right to Roam" would not be in the inerests of "The Guardians Of The Countrside".

I almost choked when he said these are the farmers!!!!!
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 15th Mar 2007, 22:14
Local Group: Mid Wales
There is no excuse for the deliberate dropping of litter in the countryside by walkers/ramblers/runners etc.
But what we drop, is but a fraction of what is dumped in the countryside by the farmers who farm it. This may not be a popular observation, but I bet the tonnage of 'litter' left by farmers outweighs anything discarded by us (forget fly-tipping) many, many times over. Strangely we are often targeted as the ones who ' leave gates open and litter the countryside'.

And no, not all farmers are bad. But an awfull lot are.
Posted: Thu 15th Mar 2007, 20:24
There is local woods that I used to use a lot for walking and jogging but one of the car parking areas has become so disgustingly horrible and the other one is very small and busy that I have just about give on what is a little gem of an area.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Thu 15th Mar 2007, 12:42
Local Group: Surrey
Any litter burns me up, but litter in the countryside especially. It's symptomatic of screwed up values.
Posted: Wed 14th Mar 2007, 16:42
I was once told by a post master that those bands cost a 1/2p each. I was on 12 hours double time + night rate watching an empty building at the time so I wasn't worried about a few bands on the floor.
David H
Posted: Wed 14th Mar 2007, 16:42
I was once told by a post master that those bands cost a 1/2p each. I was on 12 hours double time + night rate watching an empty building at the time so I wasn't worried about a few bands on the floor.
David H
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Wed 14th Mar 2007, 12:31
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
So that's where my red rubber bands came from! Gotcha!
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Wed 14th Mar 2007, 11:14
whoops, that's confusing... I mean Royal Mail post box, not just some random person's letter box
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Wed 14th Mar 2007, 11:00
Once I've got enough red rubber bands for my own use, I put the surplus in the nearest letter box.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 13th Mar 2007, 21:43
Local Group: Heart of England
What about the scourge of the red rubber bands constantly being dropped by our post people? We take part in events all over the country and we see them everywhere in all towns and villages. They shout at me from the pavement. On my mile-long walk to school the other day I picked up no less than 6 of them and usually pick up at least 1 or 2 every day. I find them useful for holding maps together!
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 13th Mar 2007, 21:07
Just looked at WH results and i reckon the folk behind The faster people must have cleared up after Them because as i say i saw no Litter.
But that is not to say it doesn`t happen cause it doe`s and not just runners more accurately people in general.

All the best
John
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 13th Mar 2007, 20:57
Totally Agree carry in full carry out empty.

I also ran Wuthering Hike Last weekend but i did`nt witness any discarded gell satchets or other detrius for that matter, but normally if i do i pick them up and carry them out, after all it is my reputation that is at stake as well as everybody else's,and as pointed out they weigh very little and don`t slow me down much.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Tue 13th Mar 2007, 15:25
Local Group: East Lancashire
Always amazed at people who can carry a full banana to the top of a mountain, yet an empty peel is much too heavy to carry back down.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Tue 13th Mar 2007, 13:16
Local Group: South Manchester
Is anyone like me in being enraged by the sight of litter defacing our beautiful countryside? Apart from the usual detritus dropped by the occasional, non-serious ambler ("r" deliberately left out) who don't know any better, I often see rubbish dropped by runners, who SHOULD know better. Last Saturday on Wuthering Hike I saw several SIS energy gel packs littering the trail. I was also consuming these gels as I ran. If I can carry my empty sachets to the next checkpoint, why can't they? It's not difficult and I'm sure it doesn't slow them down, or is it that they have a problem with multi-tasking and can't run and hold something at the same time? Come on, get a grip and show some pride and respect for our environment. Hold onto it until you reach a waste bag!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law