Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Anglezarke Amble, 10th February 2007

Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Wed 28th Feb 2007, 13:21
Local Group: South Manchester
Conditions were bad even for the Amble. I was amazed how many people turned up to brave them. LDWA members are hardy souls. Severe gale, horizontal blizzard and wind chill required lots of layers to keep warm. It was impossible to stand up properly on Rivington Pike. I know someone who had his hat, a glove and his glasses blown off up there. The glove was whipped off his hand and lost to the wind! The camping barn checkpoint couldn't open because the road was impassable. We were fortunate that the wind subsided a little later on. It was fun running across the moors and sinking a foot or more into fresh, soft snow. I shouldn't think any personal bests were set that day; I only managed 5:08 on the long route.
Author: Sandra Cadman
Posted: Sat 17th Feb 2007, 14:59
Like Peter, I set off on the walk but turned back not long after Peter. What a difference a week makes - this Saturday would have been a marvellous day for the Amble!
Posted: Thu 15th Feb 2007, 19:43
I had this one down to run but with the weather so poor decided against - did you see any runners on the day?
chris
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Wed 14th Feb 2007, 17:39
Local Group: Merseystride
Well done Alan, Peter. I always feel guilty when I don't do an event I've entered for. Not quite sure why.... but I did enjoy the lie-in !! Garfield
Author: Alan Gray
Posted: Mon 12th Feb 2007, 19:20
Managed to finish in 6 hours 40m, the conditions were very poor for a while but improved as the day went on. I have never felt so whacked out at the end of an event. A hot soak and a coffee laced with JD was well earnt.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Sat 10th Feb 2007, 23:30
Local Group: East Lancashire
I entered, started, slipped on hill number 2 twisting my right knee, and limped back to the start.
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Sat 10th Feb 2007, 21:53
Local Group: Merseystride
Did anyone do this? I entered but took one look at the weather and stayed in bed! What a wimp! Garfield

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law