Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Checkpoint food on challenge walks

Author: Rosemary Dooley
Posted: Sat 15th Aug 2015, 21:37
Local Group: Cumbria
When I couldn't eat on the Northumbria 100, some kind person offered me just two teaspoons of something soft like rice pudding (maybe scrambled egg). I then had another two, then gradually got a very modest bowlful down.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Sat 15th Aug 2015, 15:24
Local Group: Dorset
As Deirdre says, this is really more about the participant and not the actual food that is available .

On most LDWA challenge events, the organizers aim to provide adequate (and usually, more than adequate) choice. Almost always a vegetarian option, and often some food that can be eaten by others on more restricted diets. But very special dietary requirements are a bit outside their remit of course. ( If you are interested or fall into this category, see the 2016 Dorset 100 Event Rules number 5 for amplification)

In many cases, there is an individual learning curve. What may be deliciously eatable at CP2 may become unpalatable or completely inedible at CP11. I have been unable to find the energy (or interest) to chew a sandwich at some late checkpoints. The unsweetened low fat yogurt went down fine though.
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Sat 15th Aug 2015, 9:08
Should perhaps have started a new post, but some of the information on this one seemed worth resurrecting. My query is really what people have done to manage inability to eat, not what checkpoints provide.
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Fri 14th Aug 2015, 10:57
I thought I would raise this topic again, after a post on the Dorset 100 forum, as it is of wider interest. People who are new to challenge walks (especially the longer ones) or those who have a persisting problem in being able to eat may welcome advice from others-even if to get an overview of the quirky things which might help, and to try something new. I find that I need to stay well hydrated; when I have failed, eating is more difficult. Apricots, figs and dates, of very good quality, are regular stand bys, and dark chocolate is always edible.
Author: John King
Posted: Wed 21st Mar 2007, 19:28
Good point Gary, thats the good thing about us runners we consume a lot less as we pass though the checkpoints quicker.

John
Posted: Wed 21st Mar 2007, 12:45
Better buy your own gels if you don't want to see entry fees rapidly rise!!
Posted: Sat 10th Mar 2007, 19:08
SIS Blackcurrant Gels please contains everthing i need to stave of cramps and to restore energy, all in a nice little sachet.

Pie and peas, Shepards Pie or a Chicken salad at finish to remind me that proper food is far nicer than a gel.

I have no connection with SIS other than a very satisfied user.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sat 10th Mar 2007, 15:49
Local Group: Northumbria
Hotdogs with mustard. Tuna and vinegar sandwiches please. (If you are doing sandwiches, remember that the bread will go stale pretty quickly in the sun. Fruit - bananas are my favourite. Bourbon biscuits. And then at checkpoint two......
Author: Steve Clark
Posted: Sat 10th Mar 2007, 7:54
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
What about Roast Pork with plenty of crackling
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Fri 9th Mar 2007, 12:48
Local Group: South Manchester
I agree about the savoury comments. Any ultra needs savoury options once we get beyond marathon distance. How about Marmite sandwiches? Plain tuna sandwiches are also good. Cucumber goes very well with both of those, but the extra fiddle might preclude its inclusion.
Posted: Thu 15th Feb 2007, 20:51
I like the idea of cheap but 1/2 a stone of spuds in the rucksack is a bit scary
David H
Posted: Wed 14th Feb 2007, 23:40
On very long runs i take roast potatoes, the degree of salting depends on the weather. They work for me. Easy to prepare, cheap.
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Tue 30th Jan 2007, 23:07
Local Group: High Peak
potted meat sarnies, not everyone likes tuna and mayo.
Spam fritters mainly because i fancy one right now
Author: David Giles
Posted: Mon 29th Jan 2007, 20:12
Local Group: Sussex
michelle,must say it was really good of you to ask; just reiterate whats been said,generally the further the check point the more I crave savoury/salt food; my border collie also really appreciates a bowl of water.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 29th Jan 2007, 19:46
Local Group: Surrey
Rebecca and Anne have it: After 40 miles and at night, vegetable hot pot or thick soup is great (not too hot!). And a choice of sweet and savoury snacks. But 'no delay' is most important.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 29th Jan 2007, 17:57
Local Group: Mid Wales
Or the failsafe standby of tinned rice pud and fruit salad. Yummy!!!! Jane
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Mon 29th Jan 2007, 9:29
One of the things I've enjoyed most in hot weather is jelly with fruit in - not something I'd normally eat but easy to get down if you don't feel too hungry.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sat 27th Jan 2007, 20:02
Local Group: Marches
Anything quick and easy. I have visited some checkpoints where they prepare the food to order such as beans on toast, and it doesn't really work if a group comes in all together - the helpers get stresses and the walkers get cold and fed up with waiting. If you intend to do hot food, something like a vegetable hotpot or pasta based soup (good low GI release)that can be left on a low heat and served up quickly, even if a large group comes in together is a great idea. Or any mix of sweet and savoury cold food. Good luck!!
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Sat 27th Jan 2007, 19:48
Local Group: Heart of England
Oh, and yoghurt is really good too, but don't forget the spoons!
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Sat 27th Jan 2007, 19:46
Local Group: Heart of England
Savoury snacks, as well as the sweet stuff. Tuna/mayo sarnies are popular and so are cut-up oranges.
Posted: Fri 26th Jan 2007, 17:26
Something to restore electrolytes
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Fri 26th Jan 2007, 15:28
Local Group: East Lancashire
Jelly Babies and flapjacks Mmmmmmm
Author: Michelle Armour
Posted: Fri 26th Jan 2007, 14:06
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Having agreed to do checkpoint food on a challenge walk in June, just wondered if anyone has any favourites i should consider? (Hopefully it'll be hot and sunny!)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law