Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Warm weather training

Author: John King
Posted: Fri 9th Feb 2007, 10:06
My reccomendation for walks in the sun has to be the Lakedistrict it has been really nice recently with superb views from all the summits and warm enough for shorts on Coniston Old Man last saturday.

In addition there have been some outstanding Temperature/cloud inversions this year, complete with Brocken Spectres.

Sadly though the snow that is still eluding us, but it has been giving my daughter and her husband a few headaches as they try to tour Spain in a camper van.

Funny old world is`nt it?
Author: Julian Brown
Posted: Fri 9th Feb 2007, 9:10
Local Group: Staffordshire
- got back from la gomera day before yesterday - well worth a visit, plenty of walking and generally very quiet, warm by the sea but take your fleece up the (big!) hills just in case.

bar by the little beach in valle gran rey - casa maria i think it's called - had a bit of 'local' live music on most nights.

- if any of the irregulars crew want any info just let us know.

cheers jo and julian

- anyone else got other recommendations for places for some walking in the sun in winter ??
Posted: Tue 30th Jan 2007, 20:51
Pretty similar to here then, with the snowdrops, crocus, and daffodils thrusting ever upwards, clear blue skies, also evident as has been the frosts but sadly we have not had a lot of snow and the bit we had was soon melted by the warmth of the sun.

But then the other mans grass is always greener, so they say.

All the best John
Author: Terry M Ames
Posted: Mon 29th Jan 2007, 19:22
Nice to see I could generate a lively discussion. The walkers with me this week have enjoyed sharp frosts, rain, warm sun, but have had their spirits lifted by the clear air, spring flowers and the slow pace of life we enjoy here.
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 21:48
Enjoy your break Tony.

As to what else we might ask for some snow would be good, so that i can get some x country skiing in on the fells.

John
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 21:30
Local Group: Lakeland
My comments on the advertising aspects of this thread are in the bothy, but I think that going somewhere warmer and drier at the end of our dreary winter is a great idea . La Gomera has some superb walking, and good value accommodation and meals are easy to find. I will be there in February, hopefully without plaster and crutches by then. I see I will be in good company - The Irregulars will be there. If you find your way to Valle Gran Re, fellers, I'll join you for a drink.
And by the time I get back Spring should be arriving in the fells - what more could you ask for?
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 21:06
I did a lot of walking/running in Australia a few years back now that was good.

Shame about the need to pollute the air by flying, so i guess i will not be repeating the experience, however i do not fell the need to as this country still has a multitude of challenges for me.

john
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 20:44
Local Group: Heart of England
I'd love to go walking in the Algarve. In fact, anywhere in the world. Just wish I had the time!
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 19:27
WELL SAID!!!!!!
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 16th Jan 2007, 19:14
Local Group: Mid Wales
I don't see the difference between Terry's post about Algarve Walking, and posts on the 'What Gear' threads recommending various brands of walking shoes, blister ointments, rucksacks etc. There is no direct link to Terry's website, just as there is no direct link to Karrimor (just one of the many companies mentioned). So Good Luck to Terry in his new venture, and I may yet pop over and enjoy the sun with him!! Jane Hand
Posted: Mon 15th Jan 2007, 19:58
There are plenty of commercial forums that can be used for this sort of thing and it is not rude to object to something that might be seen as the thin edge of the wedge.
David H
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Mon 15th Jan 2007, 18:10
Local Group: Cumbria
I agree - this forum is quiet enough without making it quieter. The ad is very low-key and may well be just what someone is looking for. A win-win situation for both parties - isn't that what the forum is all about?
Author: Sue Allonby
Posted: Mon 15th Jan 2007, 11:29
It might be an advert but it's one that will be of interest to plenty of members so don't be so rude! This website is a forum for all members, so it isn't up to a sinle member to say that the thread is closed.
Posted: Sun 14th Jan 2007, 20:31
Should just let the thread die i reckon.

John
Posted: Sun 14th Jan 2007, 20:23
I do not mind LDWA adds on this forum but I object to commercials.
David H
Posted: Sun 14th Jan 2007, 19:30
No thank`s i love it here as far as i am concerned this island is the finest place in the world, that i have seen anyway.

Besides it`s far better to train in conditions one is likely to find on the day of the event.

Therefore i have no reason to further pollute the atmosphere by flying.

Thanks all the same

John
Author: Terry M Ames
Posted: Sun 14th Jan 2007, 18:00
Come and join us in the Algarve get some training in for the 100, blue skies and sunshine
GR 13 & GR 23 awaits www.algarvewalkingexperience.com
or algarve way.com

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law