Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Round Rotheram 9th dec

Author: Andy Griffin
Posted: Wed 6th Dec 2006, 21:55
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi, I used this walk as my "100" qualifier last December and really enjoyed it. The route was pretty easy to follow using the strip map. The last 5 miles being through a built up area needed care navigating in the dark but this years change of venue will alter that for you. Tip, take extra food. The food was fine but suited to runners. Lots of nuts, banana, chocolate, biscuits. There was hot soup and sandwiches at 28 miles. I'm used to flapjack/maltloaf so carried this. I hope you enjoy the day and good luck, Andy
Author: John King
Posted: Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 11:03
Thanks for the observations folks may even get to meet some of you next saturday.

Good luck
John
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Wed 22nd Nov 2006, 9:14
Local Group: High Peak
bolton abbey? what am I on about
I mean Roche abbey
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Tue 21st Nov 2006, 23:23
Local Group: High Peak
i've done this twice as well and if my back holds up this will be my third, the finish seems to be easier this year, no finding your way through the houses as in the past. Can be very atmospheric going past bolton abbey in the twilight, last year i was a hour ahead of the previous year but it was darker at the abbey than the year before, i find the worst part going through rother valley park and there's a good christmas welcome at the last checkpoint and some well decorated houses just after
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 21st Nov 2006, 21:15
Local Group: Heart of England
Vaughan and I have done Round Rotherham twice. 9th Dec will be our third year. They have changed the start times for this year and it is a new venue. It is a popular event and lots of runners take part. It is amazing how much countryside they find in such a built-up area. The bits near Sheffield airport are probably the worst, but in 50 miles are but a snippet! Checkpoints are well supplied, especially the half way one (and you can have a bag drop there if you want), but we always carry extra food and drinks for in between. The first few checkpoints are quite far apart.
We use the Wainwright style map for navigation and it's pretty good, but it's worth having the OS map as well. Certainly in the first year there were a few ditherings! Everyone is really friendly and welcoming as usual and you'll meet some interesting participants, who've taken part in interesting events around the world.
Obviously if you have any specific questions, then I'll do my best to answer them.
Author: John King
Posted: Tue 21st Nov 2006, 19:09
Hi i am doing this for the first time this year and i notice a lot entrants are LDWA members.

Therefore this seems to be a good place to ask if any of you have done it in the past and if so what can i expect.

Thanks
John

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law