Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Y 100 Sir Fynwy Storm Dennis Damage

Author: Rob Richardson
Posted: Mon 9th Mar 2020, 14:49
Local Group: South Wales
Dear Richard,
We are aware of this path closure as mentioned in my post on 26th February, hopefully it is only a temporary closure, but as you say the riverside path is available.
Author: Richard Haynes
Posted: Sat 7th Mar 2020, 22:28
Local Group: Essex & Herts
I have had a few days based in Pandy this week & managed to get round stages 5 to 10 (not in one go though)
All were passable but not surprisingly rather slippery / sticky.
As a bonus also looked at stage 13 on the way home and found the track closed off at SO 534 091 but the lower path by the river was dry enough to use.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Sat 7th Mar 2020, 8:57
Local Group: South Wales
Dear Friends,

I walked from my home to Abergavenny yesterday along Y 100 Sir Fynwy's stages 2, 3, 4 & 5 and noted considerable damage on Stage 4 from Usk to The Bryn. The River Usk clearly rose considerably higher than initially imagined and I think it's important to manage expectations now. It will be highly unlikely that the damage will be repaired before the events in May.

The good news is that despite the damage, it is quite easy to walk the route and people will have no issues where the infrastructure has been washed away or destroyed. It is sobering to note that in some places, the 'tide line' of detritus was two fields away from the actual river itself.

The route description has been amended to reflect missing / destroyed infrastructure and we're now up to version 42.

The following has been amended in the description.

Washed away Small Wooden Gate & Footbridge – GR SO 35866 07874

Destroyed Footbridge - GR SO 34191 09530

Some photos of the damage have been posted on our forum on the LDWA Facebook page.

Regards,

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law