Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Map

Author: Andrew Clabon
Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2020, 17:59
Local Group: South Wales
Guy,
I'm guessing Garmin don't expect folk to walk more than a few miles.
Is it us or them?
Author: Guy Evans
Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2020, 15:58
Local Group: Thames Valley
In this day and age, it boggles my mind that Garmin devices are limited to 250 points in a route. These stupid limits are one of the reasons why I switched to ViewRanger.
Author: Tim Bedwell
Posted: Sat 15th Feb 2020, 16:54
Local Group: Surrey
Yes there are limits on Garmins for the number of points on a route.

The following link gives the limits for some of the eTrex models

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=Sf7jHKwP2V53j6MoP8AeH8&productID=518048&searchQuery=file%20limitations&tab=topics

Whilst a track can have many more points than a route on the eTrex, I prefer to use routes as you can set the eTrex to give an audible alert when you go off route (which you can't do with tracks) - but you may need to split your route into several files to keep to the 250 point limit.
Author: Helen Abbott
Posted: Sat 15th Feb 2020, 13:48
I have a Garmin Montana and confirm that 3 is correct: it truncates long routes. My device loads them as in their published format as tracks without a problem. Perhaps something has converted them to routes before loading them onto the device having the problems.
Author: Gerry Jackson
Posted: Fri 14th Feb 2020, 10:01
@Sara Fabien. I don't have a Garmin GPS. Could it be due to the GPX files:
1. being tracks rather than routes or
2. having the tracks between individual check points split into track segments (with <trkseg> ... </trkseg> tags for those that undestand what they mean!). I just looked and they are all tracks or
3. I'm told by a friend with a Garmin that his device arbitrarily truncates routes (I think he said routes rather than tracks) if they have too many route points. Is this the experience of others with Garmins?

Perhaps I should post a zipped file with just the track between checkpoints (15 files), that would be easy to do. Would that help anyone
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020, 13:38
Local Group: East Lancashire
A free and relatively easy way to 'clean' downloaded .gpx files in order that they will display on a handheld device is to use bikehike.co.uk* and save as 'gpx track'. This works for garmin, worth trying with viewranger on tablets/phones.

* http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

In detail:
Open bikehike in map view (url above)
Load Route
Choose file to upload
Upload Route
Save Route
Select 'gpx track' (choose title, reset average speed, if you want). Defaults to 'Download to File', change to 'GPS unit' if you want. (Other formats available if this doesn't work.)
Download Route
Select where and with what name (in case of over-writes) to save it on e.g. laptop or GPS device

Iain
Author: Sara Fabien
Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020, 10:17
Local Group: London
Revisiting gpx files and it appears it’s a setting somewhere in my Garmin account which is only uploading part of each section, not anything to do with incomplete files! Sorry for spamming...
Author: Sara Fabien
Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2020, 9:41
Local Group: London
Hello, looking at the gpx files on the website and note that sections of the route are not plotted as yet (I like to be prepared and have them available should I find myself nearby and able to recce part of the course). Just wondering when they might be complete? No pressure at all, just a question

Thank you, Sara
Author: Helen Abbott
Posted: Thu 30th Jan 2020, 9:34
In ViewRanger, uploading the GPX files to a desktop PC , saving the route there, and then running 'sync' from a device could be a more reliable method. Also you could try the individual GPX files to rule out problems with the unzipping the zipped versions.
Author: John Whitworth
Posted: Wed 29th Jan 2020, 19:41
Local Group: The Irregulars
Hi Gerry, tried on my iPad.It will not transfer to ViewRanger.Tried on my iPhone but it would not import the zipped files or the individual GPX Files onto the app. It may be my phone that’s the problem.I’ll go into the Apple shop at Meadowhall and see if they can fix it.
Posted: Thu 23rd Jan 2020, 22:00
I've managed to load the 5 GPX files into ViewRanger on an Android tablet and iPhone and view them on a map. So I haven't a clue why you had a problem. Without more detail there's nothing more I can do.
Posted: Thu 23rd Jan 2020, 15:58
@ John Whitworth. I've just registered an account with Viewranger and uploaded the five files from the zipped download on the 100 website from my desktop PC. They uploaded and displayed the route on the Viewranger website OK.
Posted: Thu 23rd Jan 2020, 15:33
@John Whitworth. The GPX files have been used on a number of websites and GPS devices without any reported problems until now. Can you please give me a few details so that I can identify the problem a bit quicker e.g.
- I assume ViewRanger was running in an App on a smart phone or tablet , IOS or Android?
- Which file(s) failed to open - was it just one file or all of them?
- Were any error messages displayed, if so what were they?

I will create a single GPX file nearer to the event but not all GPS devices can handle the total number of waypoints. If you want to tackle it yourself you can search the internet for methods.

Incidentally reports of problems would reach me a bit quickeer if you emailed me direct at ycsf-website@ldwa.org.uk which is on the 'Committee page' of the hundred website.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Mon 20th Jan 2020, 17:50
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi There.
I have just had confirmation from satmap but the sd card will be out in March.
Regards Jeff
Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2020, 17:57
Hi There
Will there be A satmap sd card with the route on like previous years .
Many thanks Jeff
Author: John Whitworth
Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2020, 12:45
Local Group: The Irregulars
Re the GPX files?I want to download them to ViewRanger but they won’t open? Also why is there not a a full GPX file of the route like there has been on the previous 3 hundreds I have taken part in?
Author: Pete George
Posted: Sun 29th Dec 2019, 22:10
Local Group: Cumbria
Ah, thanks Richard. I should have spotted that.
Yes I note that we've been promised that it won't rain so assume that the requirement for full waterproofs is a mere formality too... :-)
Author: Richard Haynes
Posted: Sun 29th Dec 2019, 18:45
Local Group: Essex & Herts
In the Map Key section it denotes blue for the Y100 Sir Fynwy main route and red for a Foul Weather alternative.
I seem to remember that someone in authority has promised that this will not be neccessary.
Author: Pete George
Posted: Sun 29th Dec 2019, 13:54
Local Group: Cumbria
Thanks for the link. Ordered and received within 24 hours. Very impressive.
I note there is an alternative route marked on the map in red from CP7 to about half way to CP8. I can't find any reference to this on the route description etc so does anyone know what it's for?

Cheers, Pete.
Posted: Wed 4th Dec 2019, 19:06
Thanks for the promp reply Dave.
Ive bought 2 of them 1 waterproof and 1 for my mam she always collects them.
Just looking at the route it looks FANTASTIC buzzing for next year.
Many thanks Jeff
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Tue 3rd Dec 2019, 19:51
Hi Jeff,

https://www.ukmapcentre.com/acatalog/ldwa-y-100-sir-fynwy-2020.html

If you don't want to buy the event map, the website advises you of the alternative choices under Rule 9.

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/2020Hundred/W/6764/rules-main-event.html#rule9
Posted: Tue 3rd Dec 2019, 19:01
where did yoy order map from.
regards Jeff
Author: Richard Haynes
Posted: Tue 3rd Dec 2019, 11:53
Local Group: Essex & Herts
Entry accepted.
Map ordered.
Relax over Christmas.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law