Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - York2Santiago

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Sat 30th Nov 2019, 18:16
Local Group: East Lancashire
Ian
You can save GPX tracks from the OS website at https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk. If you used a smartphone app to create your route, you may have to redo it here - I don't know how much interoperability there is between the OS app and their website. If you're not a member of OS mapping - excellent value at 25 pounds per year for premium membership, which includes full GB+IsleOfMan mapping up to 1:25k scale - there is a 7-day free trial. The interface takes a little getting used to (e.g. what they mean by 'downloading'), but once you've created a route you can copy it to your phone or GPS device. (My Garmin interprets thus created GPX tracks as routes, so I have to re-save them - I use bikehike.co.uk - before it will show as a 'track').

Hope that helps, and good Camino - one of the longer ones, I think.
Iain
Author: Ian Thackeray
Posted: Sat 30th Nov 2019, 14:06
Local Group: Nidderdale
Hi - Deborah and me are planning to walk from York too Santiago de Compostela leaving York Minster on April 13, Easter Monday, and Debbies 60th birthday.

We plan to walk. York to London, London to Pourtsmouth, ferry Pourtsmouth Santander, then Santander Santiago. Overall 1050 K or there abouts. Part spiritual adventure, part physical challenge to raise funds for MSF and Crisis. We have allowed 3/4 months. This is not about setting a record but exploring as we go.

I can see there is a well defined route London to Pourtsmouth using Simon Baker-Irons Londons Lost Route to the Sea. Santander to Santiago on the Camino del Norte equally well defined. York to London is a bit more of a conundrum. I have scouted out Stamford to Doncaster and its clear that many footpaths marked on the OS map are unpassable or ceased to exist. The bridle paths seem to be better defined and open . The long distance paths often orientated East to West.

So I have a route sketched out using OS 'Create a route' using established long distance paths where they move N-S, bridle paths, and minor country roads.

Has anyone tried to create this route, other then the Romans with Ermine Street.

Can anyone show me how to create a GPX file from OS, at best I get is gibberish if anything.

In fact if anyone has any thought or comment to contribute about this project would be very happy to hear from you. The web site for the project is www.york2santiago.org

thanks for reading this Ian

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law