Discussion Forum - Events - Kilburn Kanter

Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Wed 16th Oct 2019, 17:23
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Thanks Steff
Author: Steph Carter
Posted: Wed 16th Oct 2019, 12:10
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Hi Jeff, (and everyone else who reads this post!)

The Kilburn Kanter uses a similar system to that which airlines use to run at capacity. For 150 places on the day we accept more entries than places- I think it is around 175 or 180 , knowing that every year there will be a number of no shows.

This means that "no shows" are already built in to the system- and saves the need (and the considerable extra work) of running a waiting list or the extra hassle of accepting entries on the day when, until the event starts and everyone is checked in, we would just not know how many places are avaialble. If we were to allow a "turn up on the day in that hope that there are spare places" system we risk that there may may be no places , or not as many places as people who want them- in which case we would have to manage some well cheesed off people who have made a wasted journey. One of the main limitations of the event is the size of Kilburn Institute (from where the event starts) and we need to avoid extra people turning up on the off chance they might get a place to prevent overcrowding- hence we make it known (and apply) a policy of no entries on the day.

My experience over the 7 or 8 years I have been involved in helping with the Kanter is that the system works pretty well- and that normally very close to 150 people take part on the day. The only time there might be a few less than 150 is when the weather is poor when the number of no shows increases slightly over "normal years".

Best Regards

Steph
Posted: Tue 15th Oct 2019, 20:47
I have been emailed from the Kilburn Kanter Marshals.
Many thanks for your quick response
Posted: Sun 13th Oct 2019, 21:44
Hi
Last year the above event was full but talking with people who attended it said
there was about 40 no shows. Would there be any way of making room for further
enteries talking to other they would like to do it but it is full.
Could anyone help.
Many thanks jeff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law