Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The Bullock Smithy hike

Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Fri 12th Jul 2019, 21:12
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Ian
Thanks for the information I will be stopping of at Wetherspoons for a big breakfast
that sounds good dont mind the jam sandwiches .
Many thanks for taking the time to let me know.
Jeff
Author: Ian Hull
Posted: Thu 11th Jul 2019, 23:18
Local Group: South Pennine
I've done this event several times . A well organised , undulating & scenic route , around 8000 ft of ascent in the first 50 miles then a flat finish from Bollington mostly on towpath then old railway line . A noon start means a lengthier night section than might otherwise be the case . From Earl Sterndale to Brand Top is the trickiest to navigate if you've not done it before ; the worst climb is the 1000ft slog on loose chippings to Edale Cross . There's quite a bit of metalled road / track etc . Checkpoints are frequent but basic of the jam sandwich / donut / rice pud / bananas / crisps / hot dog variety & a cooked breakfast at the finish . If you want fuel in the tank before starting call in at Wetherspoons for breakfast in Hazel Grove , 5 mins drive from event HQ on the way in. Parking is on local side roads ; I've always driven past event HQ & taken the first right on to Haddon Rd & parked within 5 mins walk from the scout hut .
Posted: Thu 11th Jul 2019, 21:40
Thanks Madeleine I m going to book it then it looks good but someone at work said it wasn't all that but they are not strong walkers like the ldwa .
So hearing it from you has made my mind up.
Many thanks jeff
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Thu 11th Jul 2019, 18:20
Jeff - I've done it a number of times. It's like all the other 50 mile events (it's listed on our site). Goes through some lovely countryside and is well organised. You can even get there on the train from Leeds given the start time. As with most events, especially 50s that go through the night, I've had some bad patches!!!
Posted: Wed 10th Jul 2019, 16:47
Hi All
I am thinking of doing the Bullock Smithy hike but have heard mixed reviews has anyone done this and
is it good.
Many thanks Jeff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law