Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hills and Hill Registers - Access to the county tops of Rutland, Wiltshire, Berkshire and Hampshire.

Author: Forum Moderator
Posted: Tue 25th Aug 2020, 15:06
Ray

I've had a quick look and think I've taken off the post you complained about. There are other blank ones, but I can't see immediately how to delete them without you complaining about each one. I'm happy for you to do that if you wish me to delete them.

Madeleine
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Tue 11th Jun 2019, 14:50
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The short answer is that these tops can only be accessed by trespassing unless you get the farmers permission. However, I do not know how you find out who the relevant farmer is.

Please post if you know.

Rutland, Cold Overton Park and Berkshire, Walbury Hill, are trig points in a field of sheep.

At Walbury, on the right of way, 'Wayfarer's Way', there are notices asking dog owners to be careful as over 9 sheep have been injured by dogs this year. I do not know how the respective farmers at these two tops react to peak baggers but the presence of a dog would almost certainly count against you. There are gates into both fields.

Wiltshire, Milk Hill, and Hampshire, Pilot Hill, are in crop fields so they are not accessible except for a brief period after harvesting.
Both are plateaus and the exact top would be very obscure. I think getting as near as you can without crop trampling is a reasonable compromise.

The Milk Hill field boundaries seem to be accessible and walking to the nearest point to the top on the field edge get you near enough to count as job done. You would be about 150 yards and 30 feet vertically short.

The Pilot Hill top is not the trig point. Climbing the bank next the right of way, 'Wayfarer's Way', to the north of the field and walking along the crop edge is, in my opinion, practically the top and shouldn’t lead to conflict with the farmer. You would be 70 yards and 12 feet vertically short.

It seems a shame that a few of the county tops are on private land.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law