Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - kit declaration

Author: Simon Pipe
Posted: Fri 17th May 2019, 9:01
Local Group: Heart of England
That was fun: just six posts to go from base layers to the GDPR (which, I tell my students, stands for the German Democratic People’s Republic - one for the conspiracy theorists).

All valid points but I especially like Don’s reservation about putting medical information on a losable tally card... given that my quasi-medical quirk also involves a tendency to lose things.

People with nut and bee allergies probably know the answer on this. I suspect it features wristbands. Mine would say: “Has impairment: if can’t shut up, all is well.”

Since this particular topic is actually about kit declaration (no sarcasm intended), I’ve added my observations on the GDPR to the discussion on the Bothy forum. Recommended reading for t’management!
Author: Stuart Bain
Posted: Thu 16th May 2019, 20:31
Local Group: South Wales
The key purpose of the GDPR is to give an individual (or data subject in GDPR speak) more rights over how their personal data is held and processed by third parties (data processors or data controllers in yet more GDPR speak).

I personally don’t think this is specifically a GDPR issue as entrants have the choice to whether they wish to disclose medical information and therefore how third parties hold and process the data.

I see this as an opportunity for entrants to provide event organisers with vital information that may save their live if the worst occurs. The key part for me is that it is the entrant’s decision on what they wish to disclose.
However, I do accept that there are risks around event organisers sometimes holding quite sensitive medical information and this should be clearly explained to entrants so they can make a balanced and informed decision on how they wish to proceed.

So, from reading the thread and having a chat with other NEC members I believe event organisers should look at offering two options that entrants can choose to take:

1, The approach that Don Arthurs highlighted in the post below about completing a medical form and sealing it with the necessary statements at walk HQ. The entrant must complete medical form but has the choice on what they disclose.

Benefits: the sensitive medical data is held securely, only disclosed in the event of emergency and is destroyed at the end of the event.

Downsides: A medical emergency may occur where there are mobile blackspots and this will give rise to a delay in the first responder gaining access to potentially life-saving medical data.

2, Entrants can disclose medical data on tally cards.

Benefits: quick access to life saving medical information in the event of an emergency.

Downsides: Tally cards may be seen by event volunteers or even lost during walking events.

I’m sure event organisers will identify other solutions over time to ensure medical information is available in the event of emergency to first responders. We should continue to innovate and NOT hide behind the GDPR excuse! Entrants should always have the opportunity to make informed choices; understanding the benefits/downsides of each course of action.

Going back to the other matter flagged by Dave Clifton, it’s a shame about the news story about the Women’s Institute. If it makes it easier on them, they are more than welcome to drop the cakes around to my house without being registered by the H&S and GDPR police!
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Thu 16th May 2019, 10:30
I've read this thread with interest. I see the common sense approach taken by Northumbria in relation to the personally held tally card having information that a first responder would need and might not get in time, despite the well intentioned process of confidential information being held by Walk HQ.

I also see the issue identified in relation to GDPR.

Consequently, I've asked Stuart Bain, our Environment and Risk Officer to look at the process and identify a long term sustainable common sense solution that removes as much bureaucracy as possible.

At the end of the day, we want to ensure that our entrants are safe, have access to treatment that is appropriate when required and when they might be unable to communicate whilst balancing the requirements of GDPR.

David Morgan
Chair
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Thu 16th May 2019, 10:27
I've read this thread with interest. I see the common sense approach taken by Northumbria in relation to the personally held tally card having information that a first responder would need and might not get in time, despite the well intentioned process of confidential information being held by Walk HQ.

I also see the issue identified in relation to GDPR.

Consequently, I've asked Stuart Bain, our Environment and Risk Officer to look at the process and identify a long term sustainable common sense solution that removes as much bureaucracy as possible.

At the end of the day, we want to ensure that our entrants are safe, have access to treatment that is appropriate when required and when they might be unable to communicate whilst balancing the requirements of GDPR.

David Morgan
Chair
Author: Dave Clifton
Posted: Thu 16th May 2019, 9:33
Local Group: Northumbria
Thanks for your thoughts and certainly it will bring other views as Privacy is the latest to try to bring a risk free society. However having being involved with H&S over many years it has dismayed me with the rise of trying to become risk free but losing the human element. I don't know if you saw the story in the papers yesterday when the Women's Institute members were banned from baking cakes for a hospice as they are not properly registered.

Now to the tally which is personal to that entrant and they will complete themselves with a view what a first responder would like to know in an emergency situation. There is a number of first aid responders on our event including our main partner North of Tyne Mountain rescue. Rather than each of them carry a load of envelopes it was felt it was the quickest and safest for the responder to have the information at hand immediately. If that is not common sense and less risk than searching through envelopes etc then pleased I am bowing out after this event and leaving these longer term decisions on privacy to other more qualified privacy experts .

Keep safe, don't go off to quickly and enjoy the event the provisional weather for next weekend is looking not too hot or cold
Author: Don Arthurs
Posted: Thu 16th May 2019, 9:08
Local Group: Kent
I'm no expert on GDPR (which I'm assuming covers this) and requesting / collecting / storing sensitive personal data, but I was a little surprised to read about writing personal medical information on the back of a tally card. I fully appreciate that gathering this information is best intentioned and designed to improve the safety of the event by the way.

When I took part in the Laich o Moray last year we were asked to submit a completed medical form provided by the organisers in a sealed envelope, under the following conditions

"Every participant MUST complete this form and hand it in registration. The form will be held in a sealed envelope by our first aid coordinators for the duration of the event and will be destroyed by the event coordinator at the end of the event if there has been no medical emergency."

along with the statement

"THE CONTENTS OF THIS FORM WILL NOT BE SHARED WITH ANYONE OTHER THAN MEDICAL STAFF IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY."

Writing potentially highly sensitive personal medical information openly on the back of a (loseable) tally card, which will probaby also have the full name (or at the very least an entry number which can be tracked to a name on the 100's site) on it and which will be handed over to various people during the event doesn't seem to achieve the same levels of privacy.

Why would it matter anyway?

Personally I have type 2 diabetes, not something I particularly care about sharing with the world, but what if I had HIV, or mental health issues for which I was taking medication, or a virulent STD, or any other number of health issues that I might for whatever reason be uncomfortable sharing with non-medical staff but which medical staff might need or want to know about in an emergency?

As I said earlier I believe the 'tally card solution' is completely well intentioned, it's just something that as an organisation I think we need to have an official GDPR proof process for if we want to make this data available to the emergency services on future events.
Author: Laura Turner
Posted: Thu 16th May 2019, 0:43
The final instructions state: "When you register you will be given a tally card. If you have any medical conditions that any emergency responders should be made aware of then please write details on the back of this tally card. Indelible markers will be available at registration for doing this." I would suggest that anyone with a 'hidden impairment', such as ASD, might wish to consider declaring this also. It could avoid misinterpretation of reactions, especially in an emergency situation.
Posted: Wed 15th May 2019, 17:54
Thanks Tony. I have an impairment that makes it difficult to take in information, and also makes me very indecisive. There are many positives too. It wasn't clear to me whether the kit requirement was actually different from previous years, given the exposed (and exciting) terrain. s
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Wed 15th May 2019, 17:30
Local Group: Lakeland
Simon,
If you read paragraph 8.1 of the event rules you will see that you are required to carry an additional upper body layer of which a base layer or fleece are just examples. There is a bit of abbreviation of that in the Kit Declaration. The purpose of this is not to find a reason to disqualify you but to make sure you are properly equipped to enjoy our event safely in the conditions which may be encountered. Common sense answers most of these questions.
Posted: Wed 15th May 2019, 15:46
Good-oh. that's pretty much what I take, minus the windproof shell. I have trouble buying jackets that get close to a fit - I'm well below the smallest men's size and haven't found a ladies' jacket lately that will fit. So the slightly outsized jacket that gave me chafing on my arms last year will stay in the breakfast bag unless the weather is of Valleys Hundred soggitude. My waterproof running jacket DOES fit. I'm also getting used to Superfeet insoles - a tip I picked up on the forum from some chap who seemed to know what he was talking about. He was very sound on anti-chafing cream as well.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 15th May 2019, 14:43
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Simon - I cannot answer for the organisers, but I think trying to define terms like "fleece" and "baselayer" is not an exact science. Some personal interpretation is possible

However, I can say what I will wear and / or carry on the event, and that has served me well previously.

NOTE none of this is cotton, all are synthetics

A short sleeved T shirt

A thin, long sleeved crew neck base layer. In my case it could be Helly Hansen or a Lowe Dryflo, or a Patagonia capilene - I usually prefer Patagonia but many other brands will do a good job.

In my bag I will have another long sleeved crew neck (it is a Patagonia mid weight capilene) with a waffle grid finish inside - very light, not bulky - not a zip up fleece - but a excellent insulator even when wet.

To supplement this I carry a extremely lightweight windproof jacket. I use a Rohan "Windshadow" which screws up to the size and weight of a handkerchief. In my view it is all about layering

And (of course) I carry a very lightweight but good quality waterproof shell. jacket. I also have a buff, and a hat. Don't forget some gloves!

That's it from the waist up. If I get disqualified with that kit I will be very surprised. That is actually five layers. As far as I can see, it is all compliant with the kit checklist. The organisers will also check you have a proper survival bag, so that is plenty to keep you alive, even in very cold wet conditions

In my breakfast bag goes a lightweight zip up fleece jacket and a robust "winter" waterproof shell.

In bad conditions, it is on the second half of the 100, when tiredness sets in that you begin to lose more body heat.

I am not sure if this exactly answers your question, but that is what I do.
Posted: Wed 15th May 2019, 9:24
Could you please define what is meant by "baselayer" and "fleece"?

Baselayer: would a long-sleeved Helly Hensen moisture-wicking top, of the type worn by many Hundred entrants (white chevrons along the sleeves), be classed as a baselayer? I might choose something cheaper but warmer. Or does it need to have thermal properties - something like merino wool?

Fleece: can this be a jumper-style fleece (£10 from Milletts), or must it be a thicker, zip-up coat (which I don't have)?

Fleece: in place of a fleece, will you accept a long-sleeved polypropylene top, which is actually warmer and technically superior?

Not trying to be difficult: trying to be correct. Many thanks.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Mon 13th May 2019, 18:24
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Thanks Alan
Look forward to meeting you all.
Many thanks jeff
Author: Alan Warrington
Posted: Mon 13th May 2019, 18:17
Local Group: Thames Valley
Hi Jeff

Absolutely correct. This is the minimum and the onus is certainly on the entrants to carry AND wear anything else they feel is appropriate for the conditions (forecasted or otherwise).

Good luck, see you at CP10.

Alan Warrington
LDWA 100s Coordinator.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Mon 13th May 2019, 17:16
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi There
I have looked at the kit declaration form and there is not a lot of clothing on the list is this a minimum to take .
And would you expect us too take more.
Regards jeff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law