Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Spring in Lakeland 13th April

Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Wed 17th Apr 2019, 16:42
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
We at BBN have an entry limit of 300 on our November SS event; we always reach that limit and we don’t take entries on the day. For many years Mike, who looks after the entries, has had to deal with phone calls and emails from people pleading to be allowed to turn up on the day. It’s tough to turn folk away, especially as we’d started to get over 20% no-shows, but the answer has to be no. After we reached 23% no-shows on our event in November 2016, we decided to operate a waiting list, which is very easy to do within SiEntries. We also decided not to close the entries until two days before the event. Mike sent several emails, something else that’s very easy using Si, asking people to let him know if they weren’t going to turn-up. With Mike’s efforts, including phone calls the day before to people on the waiting list, our no-shows in 2017 dropped to 11%. Then we looked at the spread of entries and found that the highest proportion of no-shows came from those who entered early….we also found that the no-shows were pretty evenly split between runners and walkers, also between LDWA members and non-members. So, for the 2018 event, we didn’t open the entries until June, operated a waiting list again, only gave them a couple of days to take up a place, kept the entries open later again and Mike sent emails again. His efforts paid off, the message is getting through, we had 6.7% no-shows on our 2018 event. We’re lucky Mike is willing to make the effort. To encourage people to withdraw before the event, rather than not turn up, we’re looking at the money side of it, later refunds or donations to charities.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 16th Apr 2019, 21:32
Local Group: Lakeland
Jeff, Thanks for your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed the event. The Lake District was certainly looking it's freshest and best last weekend. I'm sorry that your friends weren't able to enter. It's very difficult for organisers to get it right. In 2018 we had 220 entries. This year we thought we might get more so set a limit of 250 which was about what we thought we could cope with. We were full more than two months before the event just after you entered so agreed to squeeze in another 50 which only lasted a couple of weeks or so.
In hindsight (and Armorel may be correct in her theory) we could have accepted more but we didn't expect the 20% level of no shows that we typically get for That's Lyth in January. As it happens we finished up with around 250 starters. I'm afraid the only safe way is to enter early too.
Author: Jeff Stevens
Posted: Tue 16th Apr 2019, 16:58
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi There
This was A brilliant walk well organised and beautiful scenery I loved it and will be back next year.
Only issue was that 21 of my work colleagues wanted to do it we do a challenge every April to remember our friend who died 9 years ago
but sold out to find a lot had not turned up if we had known we could have all done this walk.
Maybe next year the ones who did not turn up may let the organisers know so the places can be opened up to others.
Taking this aside many thanks to the hard work of the lakeland ldwa to make this a fantastic walk .
many thanks
Jeff
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sat 13th Apr 2019, 21:05
Local Group: Sherwood
I think you have touched on part of the reason yourself - the event is known to fill up early. That means that people know they need to enter early, so they fire off an entry as soon as entries open, which may be before they know what their other engagements are (holidays, family commitments, even rival events on the same day). They then find the can't make the entered event, and because the entry fee probably isn't huge anyway they shrug if off and simply don't turn up. I agree, though, that it is bad form not to let the organiser know - perhaps entry details should make more of the need to tell someone if you are not going to make it to an event so that someone else can have the place.

I would have thought, though, that if organisers want to limit entries to a number n and anticipate x% no-shows, they would simply accept n + x% entries and thus end up with a more or less full event anyway.
Posted: Sat 13th Apr 2019, 20:15
An excellent day with perfect weather in our lovely part of the world today, but one thing puzzles me. We had 68 (23%) no shows. We have had about the same proportion of no shows for our Thats Lyth event in January which is probably understandable given some of the weather we have at that time of year. Any idea why this should be? They can't all be injured.
No problem financially as we have their money and now adjust the food purchases to anticipate 20% no shows, but since our events fill up a couple of months ahead, it means there are a lot of frustrated people who could have enjoyed the walk.
Posted: Sat 9th Feb 2019, 17:37
We were full yesterday but have decided we can squeeze in another 50 and have reopened entries. They won't last long, so enter soon on SiEntries if you want to enjoy 23 miles of lovely South Lakes scenery.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law