Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - 100 in 2008

Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 26th May 2008, 16:00
Local Group: Merseystride
Yoredale 100
Could posters please use the new Yoredale 100 thread. John King, would you be kind enough to re-post to the new thread?
Thanks, Garfield (Forums moderator)
Author: John King
Posted: Mon 26th May 2008, 15:30
Thank you West Yorkshire LDWA for an excellent and well thought out route choice the YOERDALE HUNDRED, it was may first ever LDWA 100 and i had no problems with the rout guidac note very concise i thought.

The memories from the 100 will live with me for ever, the whole event was a joy with such a lot of effort from everybody involved all those smiling faces from those manning the checkpoints and even prepared to bring food and drinks to you at the table, i could`nt believe it better service and happier people than you get in many restaurants,as to the food pure magic every need catered for, from porridge to pasta and everything in between.

I am not good with words but in short i wan`t to thank absolutely everybody including all my fellow walkers and runners the camaraderie was second to none.

I can`t wait for the next one

Three cheers to all involved in a job well done HIP HIP HOORAY.

Thanks everybody.

JohnK
Posted: Fri 23rd May 2008, 10:31
Hi all,
I was going to add Peter's replies but thought the whole lot would be a trifle long! These are only minor points anyway-probably mostly our fault/tired/impending dementia etc etc.
Have a good weekend.
Author: John Sparshatt
Posted: Wed 21st May 2008, 23:32
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi All, if you have read the previous post then I would also wish you to read Peter Wood's reply to Bobbie which I hope makes clear the issues raised

I have tried to take account of the comments I have received from the numerous that I have received. When several people mention the same problem then I readily accept that there is a problem that needs correcting but when only one comment is received and you know that umpteen people have walked that section without comment then I have something of a dilemma. In those circumstances I have tried where ever possible to re-visit and check personally. However, with time pressing and other personal commitments I am unlikely to be able to re-check your numerous areas of difficulty.

So for clarification here is my response to your suggestions :

1.36 to1.44 (2.17 to 2.25) Quite honestly I have not had one single comment back about any problem encountered with this section. It is the Pennine Way in day light and the grass is well bruised and I assure you that you cross under power lines that are attached to power poles and not sky hooks.

4.29 to 4.30 (5.29 to 5.30) This is definitely an error on my part in describing the short piece of fence incorrectly as a stile (and it has been pointed out to me many times). It seemed the best way to negotiate the chained gate which people would have had to unravel and re-chain. It is on a right of way. Anyway we had already decided to man the gate on the event – it was not possible to leave the gate open as last time it was visited there were sheep and lambs in the field beyond it. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

4.43 to 4.44 (5.43 to 5.44) Excuse me if I laugh – not at you but the circumstances. In one of my early drafts I got this bearing wildly wrong and three people told me so. Unfortunately I was given three different correct bearings and now I have a fourth! What I will now do is go up the day before and mark where the stile is to be found so that once over the brow there will be something in the distance to aim for.

5.10 (7.1) As there will be a manned checkpoint on the top on the event this should, hopefully, overcome any problems. In addition we will be putting out tape and lights to lead to the stepped way off Ingleborough. I seem to be using the word hopefully a lot but I also hope that with an extra amount of daylight available and slightly shorter distance to reach it more people will be off the summit before dark.

6.6 to 6.11 (8.6 to 8.11) Without knowing exactly where the track you nearly took is it is very difficult to comment. So far nobody else seems to have had a problem (if they have they haven’t told me) but I doubt that many people have walked it in the dark as I presume you were. On the day I will be going to put out the self-clip and will keep my eyes open and put a bit of tape out if necessary.

6.25 (8.25) Yes we know (aren’t we lucky or unlucky depending on how you feel). I suppose we could put a note up with the self-clip advising of the improvement ahead.

7.23 to 7.24 (9.23 to 9.24) The description is written on the basis that you can see things and the name West End is on the finger post. Also if the description is used, as it should be, in conjunction with a map it is a name on it.

12.23 to 12.24 (14.24 to 14.25) Let’s hope no one is counting but looking at the map there is no other wall shown between the two grid references. Although I have to admit that someone else thought that I had miscounted the stiles along this section but just where it is I am not quite sure. Can I hide behind that it does not seem to have caused any major problem or that there are so many most people will have better things to do than count them.

12.31 to 12.33 (14.32 to 14.34) I was there a couple of weeks ago and know exactly what you mean. From memory I think I tried to describe it for ease of night walking (ie get to and follow wall situation) which is slightly different to the major path on the ground. Either way you should get to the stile.

12.35 (14.36) If you have turned left at the finger post as described than the wall is definitely on your right.

15.27 to 15.29 (19.11 to 19.13) Without boring you too much the original way into Skipton was going to go left steeply uphill at this point(!!) and cut over to the canal south of Skipton and so prevent having to travel through the town itself. When it became necessary to ‘loose’ some mileage the present way in was found. The area was new to me and on my first attempt I managed to loose myself quite easily in daylight in the old quarry. So I found the present grass path down which is obviously preferred by locals. When it re-joins the track it is still a rough descent but at least the way we have chosen reduces the amount of rough track for tired and aching limbs. I take your point about wet grass being slippery but I would prefer to fall on grass rather than rocks. Anyway has no one told you that we have ordered fine dry weather for the Spring Bank Holiday weekend.

It may not seem like it but I am most appreciative of the comments that you raised and have considered them carefully and just hope (that word again) that you won’t be in a position to say “we told you so”. From other comments I have received I am also going to try and put a bit of tape out on a couple of sections that people found difficult with on the Marshals Walk. Namely dropping down from Ten End towards Hawes and a little bit over the fields from Litherskews towards Cams House (between Hawes and Bainbridge) as well as tape off the dangerous missing railway bridge.
Posted: Wed 21st May 2008, 22:38
Good Luck to everyone on Saturday. It's possibly the prettiest 100 route we've done. Enjoy! Merrian and Dave suggested that you might like to read our comments about the odd place in the route description. No major issues, and, as always, IF IN DOUBT LOOK AT THE MAP! Hope this helps.

Suggested amendments
1.36 Go through kissing-gate to left of gate & continue in same direction (350°) aiming to reach the wall ahead just to the left of the wooded area.
1.37 On reaching wall turn left with wall on your right to reach gate in wall corner (ignore first gate just before corner).
1.38 Go through gate (observing sign to close) & continue in direction indicated by finger post (350°).
1.39 Soon a line of power poles comes into view. Continue to pass between power poles.
1.40 After passing the power pole aim into corner of the two walls ahead.
1.41 Go through gate in wall corner & bear left with wall on left to reach finger post 20yds to right of wall.
1.42 Continue on Pennine Way in the direction indicated (330°), a path in the grass ahead is clearly visible.
1.43 As you descend, aim into what appears from a distance to be the corner of two joining walls.
1.44 The walls don’t actually meet & you go between them bearing left with the left-hand wall.
This bit didn’t work at all for us because we never ever saw any power poles. What we actually did was…
At wood corner turn left and continue with wall on your right. At corner go thru gate. Cross field 350deg (possibly passing a finger post?). At corner thru gate and continue in same direction initially with wall on left. Continue downhill towards bottom left corner of field. At bottom of field continue between walls and…

4.29 Emerge onto farm track & continue ahead/diagonally right (325°) with a barn to your right to reach double gates.
4.30 Turn right in front of gates to cross narrow stile at end of barn.
Narrow stile! You aren’t kidding! I don’t think even an anorexic could negotiate that gap and there was no step either. It’s just a narrow bit of fence.

4.40 Path leads to a waymarked gate (with a barbed wire topping) in corner of walls (SD 710 711).
Barbed wire gate has been replaced. It’s just an ordinary gate now.

4.43 Follow bearing of 322° across field to reach & cross small bridge & waymarked wall stile.
4.44 Continue on bearing of 322° up long field for almost 400yds. Crossing a bump along the way & as you begin to descend aim to go over a stile between two trees in hedge ahead (this is about 50yds from left hand corner of field) (SD 704 715)
322 deg took us too far right. 312 deg was a better bearing (in both paras)

5.10 Continue on a bearing of 60° across the plateau to reach the cairns on the left-hand plateau edge which mark your way down.
We didn’t actually have the tape but 60 deg took us too far left. Better as: 67 deg (from Trig point) for 250 m, then in a further 130 m BR 89 deg for 100 m to pond.

6.6 Track soon becomes rocky as you ascend. After 1300yds go through gate in crossing wall to left of ladder stile (SD 812 737)
6.7 Ahead on enclosed track (wall on right broken in places). After 210yds go through gap in crossing wall
6.8 Ahead for another 530yds (along the way the wall on right veers off) to go through gate (SD 812 744) at Sell Gill Holes
6.9 In 50yds track swings away from wall on left (ignore Ribble Way/Birkwith sign/path which goes off with wall) to climb more steeply, soon joining a wall on the right & then becoming enclosed as another wall joins on the left.
6.10 Go through gap/gateway in wall (SD 811 746), ahead on broad track (wall to left, fence to right, if visible)
6.11 After 240yds go through gate (SD 810 749)
Somewhere in this bit we nearly took the wrong track. There is a big track going off, uphill, on the right.

6.25 Turn right on track uphill (Pennine & Dales Way) for two miles until track becomes tarmac (SD 822 828). The track is deeply rutted with large pools of water in places so please take care particularly in the dark. Along the way you will pass through two gates at SD 810 813 & SD 816 822 (Passing on the way a finger post & cairn where the Dales Way bears off to the right at SD 813 817)
You probably know that this has been resurfaced and is good walking now.

7.23 Turn right to follow Pennine Way & after 20yds turn left through gated stile in wall on Pennine Way in direction of West End.
7.24 Cross field on grass path to go through gated stile in crossing wall
A bearing would really help here. We did this bit at night, the path is not clear on the ground and we had no idea what West End was or where it was. The section before this was difficult to navigate in the dark because the path was very indistinct and there are lots of walls, rocks and boggy bits.

12.23 Continue ahead (170°) in the direction of Grassington for another 350yds to go through gated wall stile (SD 994 675)
12.24 Continue ahead for 630yds, passing lime kiln on your right, to go through gated wall stile (SD 995 669).

We aren’t sure but there may be another gated wall stile before the lime kiln.

12.31 Continue ahead in the direction of Grassington with wall on left & after 50yds go through slip stile in wall.
12.32 Turn left (90°) with wall on left for 25yds to corner then right 100yds (100°) to just before wall turn right (155°) with wall 20yds to your left.
12.33 Path rises up a slope to go through a very narrow slip stile in the wall ahead approximately 10yds from corner (SE 000 649)
The 100 deg would have taken us too far right. In practice the path was easy to see on the ground (and other people were walking it). From the slip stile we continued with wall on left for 25 yds then turned left with wall on our left. At crossing wall turn right up slope to next slip stile.

12.35 At finger post turn left (this is about 10yds before gate in wall corner) & climb to go through gated wall stile in wall on your right (SE 001 647).
The wall is actually on your left. Unfortunately there is also a stile in the wall on your right (and going through that would take you the wrong side of the farm).

15.27 Here (SE 005 510) you have a small piece of wall/fence on your left with a stile in it. Continue forward for a couple of yards to find a small well defined path on the right.
15.28 Turn right onto this path & immediately cross stile in wall (This path is not on the map but it is the easiest way down the hillside).
15.29 Now follow the wall on your left steeply down hill.
The well defined path on the right is also just after a black post.
Is this really the easiest way down the hill? This bit was horrible in the dark and very slippery after a small amount of rain. Will it be passable after a couple of hundred have used it? Perhaps continue along the track through the quarry area and follow this as it bears right and downhill?

NOTES:-
1. The above is not meant as a criticism of the route description at all. It's just where we had "senior moments" and struggled a bit.
2. Para numbers refer to the marshals' walk. We had fewer CPs, so you will need to add 1 or 2 to each para. the words line up with the main description somewhere!

Anyway-Good Luck. (My feet are still killing me-oops, shouldn't say that!)
Author: Ken Falconer
Posted: Wed 21st May 2008, 8:13
Local Group: Heart of Scotland
It's starting to look like sun-hats rather than sou'westers! Good luck to all - see you in Skipton.
Posted: Tue 20th May 2008, 10:06
Walk Numbers now available on the Yordale website at http://www.yoredale100.org.uk
Posted: Sun 18th May 2008, 7:55
Walk numbers for the Yoredale 100 have been allocated in an alphabetical order. 1 – 100 Abbott to Connerie, 101 – 200 Connery to Gosling, 201 – 300 Gould to Laurence, 301 – 400 Lawrence to Richardson, 401 – 528 Roberts to Zelionka. At Aireville School please go to the appropriate desk for your number where you will be issued with your walk tally and numbered tags (coloured) for your breakfast stop small bag (Orange) and other baggage remaining in the main hall (White). Once you have tied the labels onto your bags make sure they are taken to the appropriate place in the hall. Lists of numbers and names will be displayed but you do not need your number to get your tally and tags issued.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sat 17th May 2008, 21:15
Local Group: Marches
Looking forward to it (must be mad!) only downside for me is that the Sunday of the 100 is my Birthday - bad timing or what, so I'll have to drag myself past all those great yorkshire pubs as I'm sure I'll have a fair few miles still to go before they all shut!!
Posted: Thu 15th May 2008, 18:33
Bring it on !
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Thu 15th May 2008, 15:00
Local Group: London
I can endorse what John has said. I've just got back from walking out the route and it is really spectacular, especially the stretches alongside the river in the second half.
Posted: Tue 13th May 2008, 22:31
Don't worry about the weather there is nothing you or I can do about it. We promise a good weekend walk in delightful countryside. Please book in early for tea, toast and bacon sandwiches. Numbers have been allocated in an alphabetical list so seek out your tallies and baggage labels, have a cuppa and a snack before the early start at 9am. Good luck and best wishes to you all.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 12th May 2008, 21:04
Well I didn't panic, but it is useful I think to think through what you would wear/take if it was forecast heavy rain. I guess the weather can change on the day and it probably won't be what anyone says, and you ought to be prepared for anything!
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Mon 12th May 2008, 18:09
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Best not to take any notice of any forecasts until a few days before the event itself! Long range forecasts are not that accurate and things can and do change even daily.
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Mon 12th May 2008, 12:05
Local Group: Dorset
CANCEL THAT WEATHER WARNING
A great relief to see that the forecast which had been gradually unveiling a veritable monsoon (3 inches of rain in 5 days), quickly change its mind big time. It is now forecasting little more than a bit of drizzle on Sunday afternoon. Hurrah!
Apologies for any alarm spread (in hindsight) unduly.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 12th May 2008, 8:59
Local Group: Surrey
I'll go with accuweather then please...

Sorry, Madelaine, in this business I don't think you are allowed to choose...
Posted: Sun 11th May 2008, 22:29
I'll go with accuweather then please...
Author: Rob Richardson
Posted: Sun 11th May 2008, 20:11
Local Group: South Wales
AccuWeather.com are forecasting sunny intervals, 13C for Sat 24th and cloudy/windy, 18C for the Sunday. Aren't long range forecasts fun!
Posted: Sun 11th May 2008, 16:32
Not sure about lots of rain! Really just want it a bit cooler than it is now. I've been out round Settle & Ingleton today. It was roasting! Lovely route, although couldn't see too many views as it was quite hazy.
Author: Al Rodger
Posted: Sat 10th May 2008, 12:38
WEATHER WARNING
The 100 weekend is beginning to appear on a web weather forecast and is showing significant rainfall. (Luckily the wind doesn't look to strong.) The forecast can change but it's looking like 2008 may well be a wet 100. Break out the wellys!
(See http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/forregdaily.aspx The postcode for Skipton is BD23)
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 28th Apr 2008, 22:15
Local Group: Mid Wales
Thankyou for explaining that Tony, the 100 is becoming ever more popular and I am glad to have at least one qualifier under my belt for 2009. Jane
Author: Alan Greenwood
Posted: Mon 28th Apr 2008, 8:08
Local Group: Calderdale
One would hope that organisers will exercise discretion in drafting their qualification rules for the 100. Otherwise you could have an entrant who has done 25 consecutive 100s taking a rest for a year then having to qualify the following year in a similar fashion to someone who has not done a 100 previously.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Tue 22nd Apr 2008, 18:07
Local Group: Lakeland
Jane,
An answer to your question on 2009 qualification.

The Wessex 100 organisers have confirmed that they will follow the same qualification rules as the Yoredale 100, that is that an entrant must "produce evidence of an event of over 50 miles completed between 1st January 2008 and 24th May 2009". The 2008 Surrey Tops, Woldsman and Wellington Boot are therefore all qualifiers for 2009. The Hints for Hundreds Organisers does specify a 12 month qualification period, but organisers have some discretion in setting their rules.

So far as acceptance without qualification is concerned, entries with qualification will take precedence. If less than 530 entries with qualification have been received by the end of February 2009, "applications from entrants who have not completed a suitable qualifying event will be considered after 1st March 2009 and we may contact you about your ability to complete the event and navigate at night."
Author: Andrew Sansum
Posted: Tue 15th Apr 2008, 21:43
Hmmm, I too transcribed the Surrey tops route description onto the 1:25000 maps (none of that Garmin high technology for me). I'm amazed that Garfield finds the experience to be "really enjoyable" :) I have to say that suffering sleep deprivation as I do (young family) it just gave me a splitting headache by the time I finished 2.5 hours later.

A bit of a learning experience anyway as having failed to cross reference the route description sections against map numbers I was too addled most of the time to work out which map I was meant to be looking at (running after a fashion) and consequently might as well have chucked the maps away for all the good they did me.

Still I agree with the point that there is something slightly suspect about simply downloading a route into a GPS - but then, logically it isn't much different to the strange peculiarities of an LDWA route description! The ideal would be to have a map with the route on which gives a sense of location in the larger landscape rather than the narrow tunnel of a detailed set of directions. I've no experience but presume that this can be achieved with a Tracklog. Its got to be better than 5 pages of detailed directions - hasn't it?
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 15th Apr 2008, 12:51
Two questions- and I'm sorry if I'm being dim. 1. Does the Surrey Tops count as a qualifier for the 2009 100?( See John Philips' comment this thread)I thought we had to do the qualifier within a year of the 100. and, 2. May we enter the 100, and be accepted, without having a qualifier under our belt?( See Tony Cartright's comment re Surrey Tops, this thread) I imagined that we could only be accepted once a qualifying 50+ had been completed. Jane
Posted: Mon 14th Apr 2008, 19:58
David, I guess there are a number of us who've already carried-out this task. My own recommendation is to actually do it yourself. It will ensure you have read the route description in detail and it's surprising how much of this you'll recall on the day.
If you did manage to get someone else's data you'd still have to check it. Who would you blame if you missed Self Clip C, for instance?
I actually find this part of preparing for any event really enjoyable!
Garfield
Posted: Sun 13th Apr 2008, 20:38
Can anyone help me? I have received my entry acknowledgement and route description for this year’s 100 and I have just started converting the route description onto my memory map software, so that I can use it with my Garmin GPS during the walk. Converting the route description is quite an onerous task and I was therefore wondering if anyone has the route in such a format, and if so would they like to share it with me. My email address is david.northall@yahoo.co.uk
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Wed 26th Mar 2008, 18:14
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Even if too late for 2008,no harm in getting an early qualifier for 2009.
Cant blame the organisers of the Surrey Tops for trying to boost entries
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Thu 6th Mar 2008, 11:40
Isn't it too late anyway? Entries for the 100 are now closed (according to the Yoredale 100 website).
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Thu 6th Mar 2008, 10:27
Local Group: High Peak
I thought the woldsman on the 26th april was the last chance?
Author: Tony Cartwright
Posted: Mon 3rd Mar 2008, 16:02
Not yet qualified for The 100? The Surrey Tops 50 miler on 29th/30March is your last chance! See www.LDWAsurrey.co.uk for details and entry form (closing date March 21st)
Posted: Wed 27th Feb 2008, 20:33
Assuming an average of 10 minutes per entry, it would take ~88 hours to process the lot. It would take one person 21 days to complete the task assuming they worked ~4 hours EVERY day. My admiration and gratitude goes to those who have to perform this feat.
Posted: Wed 27th Feb 2008, 13:35
I agree. I wouldn't worry. How long would it take you to work through 530 applications, vet each and bank and send acceptance emails out? I think the cashing of your cheque is a clear signal whilst John W has his hands full. G
Author: Eileen Greenwood
Posted: Wed 27th Feb 2008, 12:45
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Patience is called for I think!
Author: Martin Callow
Posted: Wed 27th Feb 2008, 12:07
I still haven't heard either although my online entry went in on 9 January and my cheque has been cashed. Had begun to worry, and phoned and left a voice message. But as others are still in the same situation, I'm (oddly) a bit reassured. I wonder what order it's done in?
Author: Barry Olver
Posted: Wed 27th Feb 2008, 11:37
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Hi Rob

I haven’t received conformation of my entry yet either, my check has been cashed. So I’m assuming that I’m in, but I supposed it will take a bit of time to process all of the entries.
Posted: Tue 26th Feb 2008, 23:39
The Yoredale100 website proudly declares the event FULL !

Well done to everyone on the organising committee. I've pored over the route several times now and it looks superb. I suspect there won't be many self-clips - very few elbows that aren't at checkpoints. Garfield
Author: Andy Griffin
Posted: Tue 26th Feb 2008, 14:29
Local Group: East Lancashire
Just had an email from the organiser enclosing up to date route description, annex maps and letter confirming my entry as been accepted. I did a qualifier in September (Bullock Smithy).
Posted: Mon 25th Feb 2008, 20:14
Still waiting patiently for confirmation, anyone else not heard yet?
Posted: Fri 22nd Feb 2008, 17:49
Got my acceptance e-mail today best start plotting the route on my maps i guess, looking forward to it though.
Posted: Wed 20th Feb 2008, 22:25
I got my confirmation email today
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Wed 20th Feb 2008, 21:31
Local Group: London
I had my entry confirmed by email yesterday.
Author: Martin Callow
Posted: Wed 20th Feb 2008, 19:25
Like others I'm assuming that too - I haven't heard of anyone who has a confirmed entry.
Posted: Tue 19th Feb 2008, 19:33
I guess having ones cheque cashed is a good indication of entry acceptance?
Posted: Sun 10th Feb 2008, 22:10
John - I look forward to the confirmation! I have been wondering if I should be worried that I hadn't heard.... Just need to be patient!
Author: Fiona Cameron
Posted: Sat 9th Feb 2008, 7:48
First opportunity to get your qualifier is the Surrey Tops, at the end of March. Roll up, roll up, roll up!
Posted: Fri 8th Feb 2008, 20:08
Hurry, Hurry hurry. The entries for the hundred are now in excess of 450. There is no doubt the event will be full. Entrants who are qualified will be notified soon that their application has been accepted. At the end of February others, who have other qualifications, will be considered and may be accepted. Once the event is full (530) a waiting list will be arranged. Walk numbers will not be given out until the day of the event.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Mon 26th Nov 2007, 13:17
Local Group: South Manchester
Hi Sam,

The Round Rotherham is coming up the weekend after next (8th Dec), so if you want to have a bash, best to start studying the website (it takes some absorbing).

http://www.hmarston.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rhac/trail/rrr.htm

Sorry to be plunging you in at the deep end with talk of 50-milers so early in your eventing career, but with 50-mile opportunities being rather thin on the ground (Ian has already mentioned the Woldsman next April) and you want to do next year's 100, needs must!

Nick 19655
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Sun 25th Nov 2007, 17:47
Local Group: Lakeland
Sam,
You can get full details of the Yoredale Hundred, including qualification rules, by going to the event website at www.yoredale100.org.uk
Posted: Sun 25th Nov 2007, 9:56
if you are fit the round rotherham is comming up in december oh and welcome to the LDWA
Posted: Sun 25th Nov 2007, 9:55
you need to do a 50miler to qualify such as the Woldsman, check the events calandar
Posted: Sat 24th Nov 2007, 20:39
Hello everyone. I've just become a member of the LDWA & I have a question I hope that someone can answer please. To be able to enter the "100" do I need to have shown my competency by entering any particular events before or can I just enter the event anyway? I am not sure of my plans for next year just yet but in order to start making some plans I would like to know a little more about this. Thanks, Sam.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sun 4th Nov 2007, 22:15
"Pray for fantastic weather again like last year." Maybe for the Round Rotherham.

One thing no one will be praying for is the 'fantastic weather' we had on the Hundred this year.
Posted: Fri 2nd Nov 2007, 13:43
So is mine.
It's a unique event, which combines just a little urban decay, plenty of urban regeneration and even more beautiful countryside to provide some real contrasts to delight the senses. This one is a must, especially on its 25th anniversary, as already mentioned. Pray for fantastic weather again like last year.

Nick.
Posted: Wed 31st Oct 2007, 19:21
David as Ian says it is worth doing and my entry is already in.
plus it is the 25 year of the event so there is no better time to do it, see you there?
Posted: Mon 29th Oct 2007, 18:53
I enjoy it, the time allowed is ideal practice for me for keeping up a consistant pace, it's not too hilly, going past the ruins of roche abbey in the twilight is great fun with ghost for company, there are small stretchers of wasteland to cross, but then you get the picturess crossing of the chesterfield canal, and the food at the last checkpoint the route is made up of farmland, woods, quiet lanes, there is one busy road to walk down in the dark but luckily it is being avoided this year and the route bypasses this.It's worth doing at least once, it's not everyones cup of tea, but 50miles in 16hrs is a good workout.
I wont be doing it this year, just come out of back surgery and my surgeon won't allow me, so i'll have to qualify with the woldsman in april. so good luck if you decide to do it.
Posted: Sun 28th Oct 2007, 22:06
Thanks for all your information, I have just been looking at the Round Rotherham and will probably find myself entering.
Ian, if you are reading this what is your view on this event, I couldn't help noticing that you name was on last yrs time sheet.

David.
Posted: Fri 19th Oct 2007, 19:26
There are a number of 50s in 2008 that you can use as qualifiers - the qualifying period is 1 Jan 2007 - 24 May 2008.

There's the Surrey Tops at the end of MArch, The Peatlands Way on 12 April, Wellington Boot or Woldsman at the end of April, or even the Fellsman on 10 May.

Even if you don't have a qualifier you can enter after 1st Feb, and then do one of the above events. So it's not all or nothing at the Round Rotherham if that doesn't suit your schedule.

Take a look at the web site for the 100 to check the rules:
http://www.wizzer5.co.uk/rules.htm
Author: Catharine Gregory
Posted: Mon 15th Oct 2007, 17:08
Local Group: Bristol & West
Nick is right. The Round Rotherham is the only 50+ event before 100 entries open in January. However, if the 100 is not full, you will still be allowed to enter later on. I think there will be other 50+ events in March (e.g. Surrey Tops) but of course if the event fills up before then you may be disappointed.
Catharine
Posted: Mon 15th Oct 2007, 12:42
David,

Your best bet is probably Rowbotham's Round Rotherham on Sat 8th December. There will be little or no opportunity to get a 50-miler in after that.

Nick.
Posted: Sat 13th Oct 2007, 1:06
just check the milage in the rht hand column on the events calender
Posted: Fri 12th Oct 2007, 18:02
I have this year renewed my passion for long distance walking and I wish to enter the 100 mile event in 2008. I understand that I am required to complete a 50 mile event, to be able to qualify for this. Could someone give me guidance on where and when I might gain such qualification.
Author: Catharine Gregory
Posted: Fri 12th Oct 2007, 10:52
Local Group: Bristol & West
Rob, I think that anything over 50 miles on a Hundred (or any other event) still qualifies you for next year's Hundred, even if you didn't finish.
Catharine
Author: Robert Davies
Posted: Thu 11th Oct 2007, 16:11
On last year's 100, I only completed 65miles! Can that walk be used to qualify for 2008, or do I need to complete a 50+ durring the year?
Any advice wolud be welcome.
Thanks.
Rob.
Posted: Tue 9th Oct 2007, 17:45
The 100 and all the possible qualifiers are on the on-line events calendar. Delete the default date in the "to" box, and filter Type = Challenge.
Posted: Mon 8th Oct 2007, 18:11
There is a site at ...
http://www.wizzer5.co.uk/index.htm
The draft route description is there and gives a lot of good detail; but I would treat it as draft at this stage. Never mind what Peter H says about the Dark Side - this is a cracking route!

Usually entry for 100's opens on 1st January.

Garfield
Posted: Mon 8th Oct 2007, 17:59
don't forget to qualify with a 50

just in case you forgot
Author: Michael Cook
Posted: Mon 8th Oct 2007, 16:38
Local Group: Marches
It's now Oct 2007, can some one give me an update on the 2008 100 as i am a new member, and when will the entry forms be available regards Michael....
Posted: Sun 15th Oct 2006, 21:40
The 2008 '100' will be the Yoredale Hundred based on Skipton visiting Gargrave, Malham, Settle, Ingleton, Ingleborough, Horton in Ribbledale, Hawes, Bainbridge, Stalling Busk, Buckden, Kettlewell, Grassington, Bolton Abbey, Addingham and returning to Skipton via Draughton and Skipton Moor. Detailed planning has already taken place but there is much to do and volunteers will be needed to assist with the running of this event. Antone wishing to help should contact John Sparshatt, the organiser.Contact details in Strider.
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Sun 15th Oct 2006, 19:30
Local Group: East Lancashire
Over the Pennines in Yorkshire, or as we Lancastrians say "The Dark Side"
Posted: Sun 15th Oct 2006, 17:36
can someone please tell me where the 100 will be in 2008? (not that i'm planning too far ahead of course.......)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law