Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Hundreds - Pacers on the Hundred

Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Mon 24th Dec 2018, 16:20
Local Group: Wiltshire
No one can stop someone using a public right of way.

The current rules are clear what is currently expected of an entrant.

However safety and the duty of care does need to thought about. IMO the events duty of care does not extend to supporting anyone other than entrants. I would assert that there is no reasonable expectation that event checkpoints will provide any support to people not on the event. However, if any entrant asks someone to support them will owe that supporter a duty of care. (IANAL)
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Mon 24th Dec 2018, 15:37
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Bill Milbourne's post is what the LDWA hundred is all about. There is another 100er taking part next year, the map reading will be very easy and the only pacer you'll need is a stop watch to make sure we keep below the 14 minute 24 second per ave mile max time limit.

http://www.centurions1911.org.uk/castletown-uk-centurions-2019.html
Author: Bill Milbourne
Posted: Mon 24th Dec 2018, 14:39
Local Group: Northumbria
The Hundred is a challenge walk. The aim is to complete, on foot, a defined route of 100 miles within a maximum elapsed time of 48 hours. As has already been said, its not a race. Its one thing having someone walk a part of the way with you, especially towards the end, but if you employ a pacer, someone to do your navigation for you or carry your bag, the only person you are cheating is yourself. You would not have fulfilled the spirit of the Challenge.
Author: Michael Mattison
Posted: Sun 23rd Dec 2018, 16:06
Local Group: West Yorkshire
In relation to Andrew Todds comment,self propelled navigation device, would that be allowed, after all with all the Hoo ha, relating to quail events, self navigation and all, seems to negate the need for self navigation, if your relying on someone else, which was my main question, I the first place, are pacers allowed and if so how much help can they provide.
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Thu 20th Dec 2018, 15:43
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Sometimes a pacer can get in the way. Years ago John Wood and myself was doing the Durham Dales Marshals 100 when a friend a follow 100 miler who was doing the "real walk" said he would join us on the Sunday morning and walk the last 30 miles with us so he could open and close the gates. He did turn up but his pace was slower then ours and he ended up costing us around one hour while we waited for him at stiles / gates to catch us up. Pleased to say he did not volunteer to join us again.
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Tue 18th Dec 2018, 8:07
Local Group: Wiltshire
IMO since its not a race then the concept of Pacers does not apply.

I have on a number of years 'walked in' members of my local group on the second night (self propelled navigation aid).

Worth noting that the checkpoints have no responsibility to support supporters. I have always carried full supplies for the distance walked them in, although I have scavenged at the checkpoints.

If something went wrong, it would there is no responsibility on the event to sort me out. The duty of care is going to be with the persons I am 'supporting', and would impact their ability to finish.

I would expect that a supporters would not be allowed on any route which is over private land where the organisers have agreed access for the event.

Remember also it would be a breach of the rules if the entrant was not carrying their full mandatory kit at all times.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Mon 17th Dec 2018, 23:23
Local Group: Cumbria
I don't know of any specific ruling on the use of 'pacers'.
As it's not a race I wonder why anyone would need them anyway.

When I was doing Hundreds my son and his girl friend would sometimes come and walk the last few miles with me.
I always found it a great help and comfort and nobody ever objected even if they 'bummed' a cup of tea at the last checkpoint.
Author: Michael Mattison
Posted: Mon 17th Dec 2018, 17:07
Local Group: West Yorkshire
I notice that a lot of non ldwa events allow the use of pacers, at the latter part of events, what's the Hundred ruling on the use of pacers ?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law