Discussion Forum - The Bothy - General questions

Author: Marcus Becker
Posted: Thu 20th Sep 2018, 17:26
Local Group: Thames Valley
Or... I do both 0.o
Posted: Thu 20th Sep 2018, 17:25
This weekend there is only 20miles in a 50miles radius.

The weekend after I have two possible 15miles walks:
Sat 29th Sep 2018 H of E meets the H of E Way again Group 15ml. Heart of England
Sun 30th Sep 2018 Quainton and Waddesdon Group c15ml. Beds, Bucks & N'hants

Hmm, hmm Saturday means I can relax on Sunday before going to work on Monday.
Warwick is also somewhere complete different than Chiltern Hills!
Cannot do Parkrun then :(

Sunday means I can do Parkrun.
Aylesbury is probably also different than Chiltern Hills.
I have to work the next day (which is OK).
Posted: Mon 17th Sep 2018, 4:33
I've done the 15miles and it is really fun.

Some advise is to eat proper in the morning and bring some snacks/food for on the way.
Liquid was OK, I had a 2L bottle in the backpack and refilled with it my drinking flask. Next time I use still water instead of carbonated ^^

At about 7miles I ran out of energy just before we reached the barn (some rest stop for hikers, riders, cyclist and other sorts in the middle of the woods :)), after the beef burger is was way easier to walk the rest.
Posted: Sat 25th Aug 2018, 10:56
I'll do a 9miles Level4 tomorrow with another group first, before I start the longer ones here.
See how it goes :)
Posted: Fri 24th Aug 2018, 18:56
Thank you David,

I may try "A journey of scientific discovery" on Sunday.
Huw was very friendly on the phone.
Having done only one up to 7miles with another group in the Chiltern Hills so far, it would be a huge step up doing 20miles.
Now I am scared, but we will see how I feel on the day or do one of the 15miles first.

Bring coffee or tea, rain-cloth, snacks, lunch etc.
Nice to know you can just turn up and walk.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Fri 24th Aug 2018, 15:56
Local Group: South Wales
Hi Marcus,

Group social walks should never be about running. They are simply that....social. You will meet likeminded people who will walk with you as you chat and enjoy the scenery. The walk leaders will be proud of the areas that they're walking through and share their knowledge of the area that they are leading their walks through.

The Thames Valley group (in the area that you live) are an active group and would welcome you along with open arms on their social walks.

Challenge walks are completely different, although some people still walk and talk. But, a challenge walk enables you to walk at whatever speed you like. They are not races and there are no prizes for finishing first. The ethos is very much for the entrant to enjoy a day out, be fed at various checkpoints, often be fed a light meal at the finish and receive a certificate (and sometimes a badge) for completion. The challenge is for each entrant. Some will simply want to finish and some will want to finish in a time that makes them proud of their personal achievement. Others won't care about times. We have a broad cross section of members who enjoy what challenge walks offer.

I hope you enjoy what the LDWA offers!
Posted: Fri 24th Aug 2018, 9:12
Hi, I only joined yesterday. /blush

Are these walks for sport or leisure?
Is there enough time to take some pictures or close to running?

The recent walks I have done (5-7miles) were often off-road with a group after work in the evenings, are these more on concrete/paths or gras/fields/woods/gates etc.?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law