Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Navigational Aids

Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 22:36
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Bill - I agree!

Mark - many people are members of both the LDWA and the FRA - I wouldn't have thought it will be the GPS issue that will be the deciding factor to join the LDWA but all the other wonderful reasons!
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Wed 8th Aug 2018, 16:46
Local Group: South Wales
I like the map-and compass approach and also route descriptions but I use a GPS in hours of darkness as my 'old eyes' do not read RDs so well then.

Furthermore from my experience the use of GPS offer no advantage and in fact can lead to route-finding problems when the supplied GPX tracks are generated using software mapping rather than by recording during a walk of the route. I wish GPX files when provided were labelled with the method used to develop them.
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Mon 6th Aug 2018, 20:40
Local Group: Merseystride
My take on this is...

Looking at the FRA website, the suggestion is that some, but not all, races may be designated as non-GPS. The policy is then:

If a fell race is designated non-GPS (NG) then the use of any electronic device to aid route finding will be prohibited. The use of such a device to display compass, distance travelled, time, speed or altitude will be allowed, as will recording of actual route for post-race analysis. If such a device is used for route finding in an emergency situation then that competitor should retire from the race and declare themselves non-competitive.

This looks to me like it is all about not giving anyone an unfair advantage in a competitive race. And it is not even a ban, as use of a GPS for information gathering and safety is permitted. So it doesn't really have any relevance to the LDWA, as our events are non-competitive. Any new policy would have to be tested against the aim of the association which is: "to further the aims of those who enjoy long distance walking". To me. the use a GPS certainly does further the aims of long distance walking - helping me to keep to a route, or even allowing me to walk further as I'm not having to spend so long route finding. So I think a ban would go against the main LDWA aim.

As to whether there would be FRA members defecting to the LDWA - if they join that that would surely be good.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 6th Aug 2018, 9:34
Local Group: East Yorkshire
In my newspaper this morning I read that the FRA are considering the prohibition of GPS devices on their events as it goes against the spirit of their sport.
This development could make an impact on our challenge events.
Firstly it raises a valid query. Are we happy with these devices on our own events? To enter our 100 an ability to navigate at night is demanded. It is considerably easier with a GPS. Are we happy with some folk having an advantage?
If the FRA pursue this policy of banning GPS devices, will our challenge events be swamped with navigationally challenged FRA members?
Will we see a dramatic increase in LDWA membership as a result? Could this see a shift in the ratio of runners / walkers in LDWA and maybe lead to a change in direction at committee level?
I do not have an answer for these questions but feel this discussion within the FRA could impact on the LDWA.
Anyone any thoughts?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law